Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Did a Clean Install of XP

Did a Clean Install of XP

Frank Williams

But after installing the 90+ updates it now runs like a Dog, is MS
trying this on so you will move to W7.?

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), Frank Williams says...

> But after installing the 90+ updates it now runs like a Dog, is MS
> trying this on so you will move to W7.?

Try Linux Mint Xfce. About 755 updates, post install.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1725

--
Duncan.

Donchano

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 18:43:44 +1200, Frank Williams
<(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>But after installing the 90+ updates it now runs like a Dog, is MS
>trying this on so you will move to W7.?

No problems with my last clean install of XP and all the updates. Runs
smoothly & quickly. Fingers crossed, however.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed), Frank Williams says...
>>
>> But after installing the 90+ updates it now runs like a Dog, is MS
>> trying this on so you will move to W7.?

>Try Linux Mint Xfce. About 755 updates, post install.
>
>http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1725

Get a current version perhaps ?

Frank Williams

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 19:16:04 +1200, Donchano
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 18:43:44 +1200, Frank Williams
><(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>

>>But after installing the 90+ updates it now runs like a Dog, is MS
>>trying this on so you will move to W7.?

>No problems with my last clean install of XP and all the updates. Runs
>smoothly & quickly. Fingers crossed, however.

Found out what was killing it is Avast, took it out now seems OK using
the MS one for the time being.

Before the clean install could not update Avast with the latest 3
updates, and got no support from Advast in regarding the lockups and
blue screens.

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed), Allistar says...

> Dave Doe wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed), Frank Williams says...
> >>
> >> But after installing the 90+ updates it now runs like a Dog, is MS
> >> trying this on so you will move to W7.?

> > Try Linux Mint Xfce. About 755 updates, post install.
> >
> > http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1725

> Updates to the OS only, or to other applications that are installed. If
> you're going to make a comparison, at least make it an apples-for-apples
> one.

That may well be true - but the guts of it is, you install Xfce
(latest), it reboots, and it finds that many updates. You check the
"find the best server" option, and at about 70Kb/sec you wait near on
SIX FUKEN HOURS for them to d/l - inlcludes two download failures,
reason unknown, lets blame Xtra for those). (Done on a VPC (Windows 7
Ultimate), last Tuesday).

(The standard Linux Mint, BTW, which I have running on it's own box here
(Julia version - I've heard the new one is not too flash, so haven't
tried upgrading) has just a couple hundred updates IIRC, and worked
well).

--
Duncan.

Dave Doe

In article <j0ic5j$j04$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed), Bruce Sinclair
says...

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> >(E-Mail Removed), Frank Williams says...
> >>
> >> But after installing the 90+ updates it now runs like a Dog, is MS
> >> trying this on so you will move to W7.?

> >Try Linux Mint Xfce. About 755 updates, post install.
> >
> >http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1725
> >

> Get a current version perhaps ?

Just out - April 6th, according to the link post.

--
Duncan.

Richard

On 7/25/2011 1:25 PM, Frank Williams wrote:
> Found out what was killing it is Avast, took it out now seems OK using
> the MS one for the time being. Before the clean install could not
> update Avast with the latest 3 updates, and got no support from Advast
> in regarding the lockups and blue screens.

Also found that avast was the reason behind my constant issues about
"not enough server storage" or somethign when accessing shared drives.

Am trying avira now on the XP machines that I download on (both real and
virtual) and its not had that problem yet so will see how it goes with time.

Gordon

On 2011-07-25, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <j0ic5j$j04$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed), Bruce Sinclair
> says...
>>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> >(E-Mail Removed), Frank Williams says...

>> >Try Linux Mint Xfce. About 755 updates, post install.
>> >
>> >http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1725
>> >

>> Get a current version perhaps ?

> Just out - April 6th, according to the link post.

Three and a half months. 755 updates. So what is the problem? OSS tends to
publish early and publish often. You do not have to update

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed),
Gordon says...

> On 2011-07-25, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In article <j0ic5j$j04$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed), Bruce Sinclair
> > says...

> >> Get a current version perhaps ?

> > Just out - April 6th, according to the link post.
> >

> Three and a half months. 755 updates. So what is the problem? OSS tends to
> publish early and publish often. You do not have to update

What, like Trim support? Ya right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM

--
Duncan.