Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > I Wonder How Legal This Is?

I Wonder How Legal This Is?

snapper@mailinator.com

This little device could breach a few privacy laws! I wonder as to the legality of
possessing one?

http://tinyurl.com/3pm993z

or the long version:-

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wireless-...item19c721e0a7

Robert Coe

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 17:14:25 +1000, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
: This little device could breach a few privacy laws! I wonder as to the legality of
: possessing one?
:
: http://tinyurl.com/3pm993z
:
: or the long version:-
:
: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wireless-...item19c721e0a7

These days, most people who care about privacy encrypt their wireless
transmissions. Are wireless cameras not set up to do that?

Bob

J. Clarke

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> This little device could breach a few privacy laws! I wonder as to the legality of
> possessing one?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3pm993z
>
> or the long version:-
>
> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wireless-...item19c721e0a7

The general rule (in the US anyway) is that anything you transmit over
the air is fair game. If you don't want people to see it then it's up
to you to encrypt it. There is I believe an exception for cell phones.

However that particular device seems to be for sale in Australia so
YMMV.