Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Waltz into Darkness

Waltz into Darkness

samsloan

http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871876101
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...SBN=4871876101

Waltz into Darkness

by William Irish pseudonym for Cornell Woolrich

made into movies as Mississippi Mermaid Starring Catherine Deneuve and
Jean-Paul Belmondo (1993)

and Original Sin Starring Antonio Banderas, Angelina Jolie, Thomas
Jane, et al. (2002)

Introduction by Sam Sloan

Waltz into Darkness enjoys the rare distinction of having been made
into two different movies. More than that, the plot is so timely into
today's times that it could easily be made into several more movies.

This is because the plot involves two people who met in 1880 through a
mail order bride agency. They know nothing about each other when they
first met and yet were married to each other on the same day. They
fall in love and have a passionate but ill fated romance filled with
murder and intrigue.

Nowadays, through the wonders of the Internet more and more people are
meeting exactly like that. They become involved in romance while
knowing nothing about each other. They also fall victim to Internet
scams similar to those in the movie. Fortunately, it does not often
happen that our new found partner is a murderer.

My own case I believe is not unusual. I met my last three girlfriends
over the Internet. Not only did I know nothing about them then, but I
still know very little about them now even after having lived with
them for months or years, other than what they told me about
themselves.

The book and both of the two movies all start in the same way,
although they veer in different directions half way through. In the
book, Waltz into Darkness set in 1880, the male is a successful
businessman in New Orleans. He is 36 years old and has never been
married. He feels the urgent need to get married now or else it will
be too late. A marriage agency arranges a bride for him in St. Louis.
She is to come by boat down to the Mississippi River and he is to meet
her at the boat dock. He very excitedly goes to the boat dock to greet
her but when the passengers get off the boat she is not there.

He returns to his carriage and there a woman is waiting for him. She
introduces herself as Julia Russell, the woman he is supposed to
marry. However, she looks nothing like the picture of the woman that
has been sent to him. The woman in the picture appears to be in her
30s and a plain woman of average appearance. However, the woman he
meets is a stunning beauty, small, about 5 feet 1 inches tall, with
long curly golden locks and fair skin.

He asks her about this and she explains that she had sent the picture
of a friend. She did this because she did not want a man to marry her
for her beauty. She wanted a man who would marry her for her inner
qualities. So, she had sent a false picture of herself. She apologizes
and says that if he rejects her she will understand and go back to St.
Louis.

He says that to the contrary he is happy about his good fortunate to
have a beautiful wife when he was only expecting a woman of average
appearance. However, he too has misled her. In his letters to her he
had portrayed himself as just an average working man of modest means.
In reality, he is an extremely wealthy man. He has $100,000 in the
bank (a lot of money in 1880 when this is taking place). He did not
tell her about this because he did not want a woman who would marry
him for his money. So, he now offers to withdraw from his agreement,
as he too has deceived her.

In spite of this difficult start, he agrees to marry her even though
she is beautiful and she agrees to marry him even though he is rich.
They proceed straight away to the church where the wedding has already
been scheduled and they get married the same day.

As you can see, this is how so many people are meeting on the Internet
nowadays. That is why the book fits in so well with today's times.
Nowadays we meet online and sometimes do a simple Google search and
then go straight to bed and go at it.

In Mississippi Mermaid, the same things happen, only the time and the
place are different. Mississippi Mermaid takes place on the island of
Réunion, a French island located in the Indian Ocean. The girl comes
from Paris by boat. The male is the owner of a tobacco plantation and
cigarette factory.

In Original Sin the same things happen. This time the man is in the
Island of Cuba in the 19th Century and the woman arrives by boat from
Philadelphia.

In all of these different versions, the man falls deeply in love with
the woman, who provides him with great sex. However, he notices
strange things about her. She has brought a pet canary with her. She
does not feed the canary properly and when it dies she does not seem
concerned. She has brought a large trunk with her, but she refuses to
open it, saying that it just contains old things she does not want any
more.

Because of his great love for his wife, he takes her to the bank and
gives her joint signing authority over all of his bank accounts.

He is concerned when she receives a letter from her sister complaining
that she has not written since leaving St. Louis. She wants to sluff
this off, but her husband is concerned about this and insists that she
write her sister back. He even stands over her while she writes this
letter to her sister, making sure that the letter gets written. He
insists that he take the letter to the post office himself, in spite
of her protests that she wants to do it, so the letter gets mailed.

He is shocked when, a few days later, he receives a letter directly
from the sister. The letter says that the letter his wife has written
is a forgery. The handwriting is completely different from the
handwriting of the real Julia Russell. The sister demands to know what
has happened to Julia.

He rushes home and learns that his wife has left earlier in the day
and has not returned. He rushes to the bank and learns that his wife
withdrew all the money from both bank accounts and has absconded. He
rushes back home and breaks opens the trunk of his wife's things which
has been sitting mysteriously unopened since his wife arrived from St.
Louis. The trunk has the initials J.R. on it standing for Julia
Russell. What he finds inside the trunk are the clothing for a much
larger woman. His own wife is a small, petite woman standing not more
than 5 feet one inch tall. The clothing in the trunk is for a large
sized large breasted woman standing at least 5 feet 6 inches high.

He becomes aware that he has been the victim of a scam. The woman he
married was not Julia Russell but another woman impersonating her.

He goes to the police. The Chief of Police, after studying this case,
finds there is nothing he can do. There is no proof that any crime has
been committed. It was not a crime for another woman to call herself
Julia Russell and impersonate her. Also, he took the woman, by
whatever name, to the church and married her there. That woman is now
his wife, even though she used a false name. As far as taking the
money, she had every right to do that. He had given her signing
authority over his bank accounts. She did not forge a signature. That
was her own real signature. Thus, she had the right to take the money
and she is still married to him!!!!!!

The husband says that he thinks that the real Julia Russell must have
been killed. The Chief of Police replies that if he can find any
evidence of that, then come back, but as of now there is no evidence
that a crime has been committed.

The husband now goes to St. Louis and meets the sister. The sister
confirms that she took the real Julia Russell to the boat dock and saw
her off. Thus, the real Julia got on the boat in St. Louis. However,
she did not get off the boat in New Orleans. Something must have
happened to her in between.

The two of them go and hire a detective to investigate. The detective
promises that he will solve this case. He says that, no matter what,
he will continue with this case until it is solved. Both the husband
and Julia's sister pay him a substantial sum of money.

Having hired the detective, the husband goes home which, in the case
of the book, is New Orleans. He continues to search for Julia, while
going about his regular business.

Up to this point, the three versions, the book and the two movie
versions, have all followed the same outline, with only minor
differences in the details. However, now the three versions go off in
different directions.

In the book, the husband visits houses of prostitution in New Orleans,
searching for Julia. He finds many beautiful young women these houses
of prostitution, but none of them are Julia.

More than one year later, while in Biloxi, Mississippi on business, he
meets a man aged 46who is raving about this fabulously beautiful girl
aged 22 that he is about to marry. He tells the husband that he will
not believe how beautiful this girl is. He even invites the husband to
go on a double-date with his future wife and her friend.

When the husband is approaching and can see her from a distance, he
realizes that the wife-to-be of this man is none other than his Julia.
Rather than approach her in public, he hides himself. He then sneaks
into her hotel room and hides behind a curtain, waiting for her there
with a gun, planning to kill her when she arrives.

In the Mississippi Mermaid version of the movie, the husband goes to
France and searches for her there. This part of the movie is weak, as
France is such a large country that it would be highly unlikely that
he could find her. Nevertheless, he sees an advertisement for a dance
hall, and a picture of his wife is in the advertisement. He goes to
the dance hall and finds that his wife is working as a common
prostitute there, available to any man for a price. He goes to her
hotel room, hides behind the curtains and waits for her there.

In the book version, she arrives in her hotel room and is seated,
taking off her jewelry. He approaches her from behind and puts his
hands on her neck. She does not seem startled or surprised. It is
almost as though she knows who this must be, as only one man would
approach her like that, and that is her husband.

She turns around and they confront each other. She does not scream and
run away as a woman in this situation normally would. Instead, she
acknowledges that he is her husband and she recognizes that they got
legally married, even though she used a false name. Finally, he shows
her his gun and says that he is going to kill her. She removes most of
her clothing and tells him to go ahead and shoot, saying that she
accepts that as her fate.

He says that before he kills her, he wants to know the truth. Why did
she do this? Did she ever really love him, or was she faking it?

She tells him the story of her life. She was a foundling, a baby left
on the steps of a church. She has no idea who her parents were, nor
does she know when or where she was born. She was raised in a
foundling home in the Philadelphia area. At age 15, she escaped from
the foundling home with the help of the other girls who helped her
climb the wall but were not brave enough to escape themselves. After
that she worked as a petty thief, a washer woman and a seamstress.
Finally she reached the Mississippi river where she fell in with a
riverboat gambler and hustler. They traveled up and down the
Mississippi together, robbing the passengers or performing various
scams. For example, her accomplice would play poker. She would sit
behind his opponents at the poker table where she could see the hands.
If the opponent had a certain kind of hand, she would touch her
necklace. If it was as different kind of hand, she would touch her
finger ring.

She had met Julia Russell as a passenger on the riverboat. Julia had
told her story. She was engaged to be married to a very wealthy man.
Although he had pretended to be a common working man, Julia had
researched him and had found out that he was very rich. After telling
her all about this, they had both gone to their rooms.

The next morning, her accomplice had woken her. The Real Julia Roberts
had suffered a terrible accident. She had fallen off the river boat
and drowned. Therefore, the accomplice had told her to go to Julia's
room and occupy it and say from then on that she was the real Julia
Russell. Meanwhile, the accomplice would remove her real belongings
from the other room and, as many passengers were entering or leaving
the boat, nobody would notice anything wrong.

While she was explaining all this to the husband, she was slowly
removing her clothing. When a man is in trouble, he has his strength
and his muscles to protect him. A woman does not have that, but
instead she has her beauty. So, while telling him all this, she
removed all of her clothing above her waist. Her husband was still
standing before her with a gun in his hand, but he could see that he
had before him a woman of outstanding beauty, with her fair skin, her
ample breasts, her beautiful curly golden hair, and so he started
remembering what had caused him to love her so much in the first
place. While still not giving up the plan to kill her, he decided to
have sexual intercourse with her first.

This role in the French movie, Mississippi Mermaid, is played by the
most beautiful French actress, Catherine Deneuve. In the American
version, Original Sin, the female lead is played by Angelina Jolie,
who received the prestigious “Golden Raspberry” award for her
performance here.

Faced with the beauty of this woman, the husband puts down his gun and
proceeds to the next scene of hard core sex. They have endless
intercourse, going on forever. These sex scenes were cut out of the
movie theater version of these films, but happily have been restored
to the DVD versions.

Now, the husband is compromised. He is involved. He cannot escape. So
they must quickly leave together. They must go to some other place,
far away, where nobody knows them.

Now they are stuck together. She cannot leave him because he knows
that she was involved in the presumed murder of the real Julia Russell
and will inform the police. He also can not leave her, for much the
same reasons. In addition, they are sexually addicted to each other,
as a result of having intercourse with each other all the time.

Everything seems OK. They spend months, possibly years like this,
always moving from place to place, running and hiding. They must keep
running, because she is so beautiful that she attracts attention.
Because of his wealth, they always have money, so they have no need to
work.

However, there is one person they have forgotten about in this
equation. The Detective !!!! Remember: He promised that once having
started on this case, he will never quit. He will continue
investigating this case until he has solved it.

One day, he finds the husband. The husband runs away and tries to
evade him, but the Detective finds him again. The Detective says that
it is no use to run. He has solved the case. He knows everything. He
found the dead body of the real Julia Russell, washed up on the shore
of the Mississippi River. She had no air in her lungs. This proves
that she did not fall in the river and drown. Instead, she was
murdered and then her dead body was dumped in the river.

The Detective tells the husband that he has nothing to fear. He was
not involved in the actual murder. He did not meet his wife until
later. So, the detective is only going to arrest the wife and turn her
over to the police. He is not going to bother the husband.

The husband does not want to lose his wife whom he now loves very
much. So he tries to bribe the detective. He offers him first $20,000
and then $50,000 cash to drop the case. But, the detective refuses to
be bribed. He says that, no matter what, he must arrest the wife and
turn her into the police.

So, left with no other choice, the husband pulls out his gun and
shoots and kills the detective.

Now, they are both murderers. The wife is implicated in the murder of
the Real Julia Russell and the husband has killed the detective. They
find a loose floorboard in the house where they are staying and they
bury the detective under the house.

Now the story goes off in three directions: The book in one direction,
the movies in two other directions. I will not further ruin the story
by providing the outcomes here except to say that there are many
possibilities, which is the reason why I think that more movies will
be made based on this plot. I hope to do one myself. I only need to
find the right actress.

One ending is that the detective and the accomplice turn out to be the
same person. When the husband shoots the detective, the detective just
pretends to be dead. This is also part of the scam. However, the wife
herself finally shoots and kills the detective. Then the husband and
wife escape to Morocco where they make their living by scamming
tourists just as the wife did on the riverboats, sitting behind the
players in a poker game signaling what is in the hands of the other
players by touching her ring or necklace to signal what kind of hand
they are holding.

In the François Truffaut version of this movie, the story never really
ends. They just keep running, probably forever out of a combination of
both addiction to sex and to each other and fear of the police.

As a project in creative writing, you should write your own version of
the ending. The possibilities are almost infinite. Perhaps the sister
was involved in the plot. Perhaps the chief of police too. Perhaps the
real Julia is not dead after all. A prize should be offered to whom
ever comes up with the best ending.

Sam Sloan
San Rafael California
July 22, 2011

artyw2@yahoo.com

On Jul 22, 3:42*pm, samsloan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871876101h...SBN=4871876101
>
> Waltz into Darkness
>
> by William Irish pseudonym for Cornell Woolrich
>
> made into movies as Mississippi Mermaid Starring Catherine Deneuve and
> Jean-Paul Belmondo (1993)
>
> and Original Sin Starring Antonio Banderas, Angelina Jolie, Thomas
> Jane, et al. (2002)

I wonder whether Birthday Girl (2001) with Nicole Kidman was partly
inspired by the book or movie....

samsloan

On Jul 23, 9:03*am, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 22, 3:42*pm, samsloan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871876101h...andnoble.com/b...

> > Waltz into Darkness

> > by William Irish pseudonym for Cornell Woolrich

> > made into movies as Mississippi Mermaid Starring Catherine Deneuve and
> > Jean-Paul Belmondo (1969)

> > and Original Sin Starring Antonio Banderas, Angelina Jolie, Thomas
> > Jane, et al. (2001)

> *I wonder whether Birthday Girl (2001) with Nicole Kidman was partly
> inspired by the book or movie....

Good question. I have ordered the DVD and I will look at it.

However, it seems that the only similarity is Nicole Kidman arrives as
a mail order bride from Russia. By the way, Mail Order Brides from
Russia have a bad reputation.

Sam Sloan

samsloan

Stan Booz keeps doing this. I do not know why. Anyway, I have not yet
finished writing the book on which these movies are based.

Sam Sloan

On Jul 22, 12:42*pm, samsloan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]
> Rather than approach her in public, he hides himself. He then sneaks
> into her hotel room and hides behind a curtain, waiting for her there
> with a gun, planning to kill her when she arrives.
>
> In the Mississippi Mermaid version of the movie, the husband goes to
> France and searches for her there. This part of the movie is weak, as
> France is such a large country that it would be highly unlikely that
> he could find her. Nevertheless, he sees an advertisement for a dance
> hall, and a picture of his wife is in the advertisement. He goes to
> the dance hall and finds that his wife is working as a common
> prostitute there, available to any man for a price. He goes to her
> hotel room, hides behind the curtains and waits for her there.
>
> In the book version, she arrives in her hotel room and is seated,
> taking off her jewelry. He approaches her from behind and puts his

samsloan

Before you look at another Internet website offering quick romance
with easy girls, hear the sad tale of Louis Durand who, like you, was
a lonely man looking for love. He found it, that is true, through a
mail order bride service, not unlike the Internet services available
today, and it did provide him with quick and easy love, but it also
led him down the primrose path to destruction, murder and death.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871876101
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...SBN=4871876101

Waltz into Darkness

> by William Irish pseudonym for Cornell Woolrich
>
> made into movies as Mississippi Mermaid Starring Catherine Deneuve and
> Jean-Paul Belmondo (1993)
>
> and Original Sin Starring Antonio Banderas, Angelina Jolie, Thomas
> Jane, et al. (2002)

samsloan

Now the story goes off in three directions: The book in one direction,
the movies in two other directions. I will not further ruin the story
by providing the outcomes here except to say that there are many
possibilities, which is the reason why I think that more movies will
be made based on this plot. I hope to do one myself. I only need to
find the right actress, who will give me great sex in return for
starring in the movie.
One ending is that the detective and the accomplice turn out to be the
same person. When the husband shoots the detective, the detective just
pretends to be dead, because he has stolen the gun belonging to Louis
and has filled it with blanks. This is also part of the scam. However,
the wife herself finally shoots and kills the detective. Then the
husband and wife escape to Morocco. The wife teaches Louis how to
cheat at poker. They make their living by scamming tourists just as
the wife did on the riverboats, sitting behind the players in a poker
game, signaling what is in the hands of the other players by touching
her ring or necklace to signal what kind of hand they are holding.
In the François Truffaut version of this movie, the story never really
ends. They just keep running, probably forever out of a combination of
both addiction to sex and to each other and fear of the police.
As a project in creative writing, you should write your own version of
the ending. The possibilities are almost infinite. Perhaps the sister
was involved in the plot. Perhaps the chief of police too. Perhaps the
real Julia Russell is not dead after all. A prize will be offered to
whom ever comes up with the best ending.
Sam Sloan
San Rafael California
August 10, 2011

On Aug 8, 11:52*pm, samsloan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Before you look at another Internet website offering quick romance
> with easy girls, hear the sad tale of Louis Durand who, like you, was
> a lonely man looking for love. He found it, that is true, through a
> mail order bride service, not unlike the Internet services available
> today, and it did provide him with quick and easy love, plus great sex, but it also
> led him down the primrose path to destruction, murder and death.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871876101
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...SBN=4871876101

> Waltz into Darkness
>

> > by William Irish pseudonym for Cornell Woolrich

> > made into movies as Mississippi Mermaid Starring Catherine Deneuve and
> > Jean-Paul Belmondo (1993)

> > and Original Sin Starring Antonio Banderas, Angelina Jolie, Thomas
> > Jane, et al. (2002)

samsloan

http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871876101
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...SBN=4871876101

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0218922/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064990/

Captions to Screen shots from the movies

Mississippi Mermaid: The ring does not fit. This is the first sign
that something is not right. The real Julia Russell provided the size
of her ring. This ring was made especially for her. Why cannot Louis
get the ring on her finger?

Mississippi Mermaid: After Julia has absconded with all the money,
Louis sees her dancing in a TV ad for “Club Phoenix”. She is now
working as a prostitute.

Mississippi Mermaid: Julia enters her hotel room. Louis is waiting for
her, planning to kill her. She is a beautiful actress, especially when
her hair is down.

Mississippi Mermaid: Louis confronts Julia from behind

Mississippi Mermaid: Julia tells Louis “I am willing to die”

Mississippi Mermaid: Julia tells Louis “Go Ahead and Shoot Me”

Mississippi Mermaid: Julia tells the story of her life. She was a
foundling, an abandoned baby, and grew up in an orphanage where the
girls used to engage in masturbation contests after the lights were
out.

Mississippi Mermaid: I still Love you, claims Julia

Mississippi Mermaid: Julia changes her sweater, giving us viewers a
semi-nude scene

Original Sin: Louis and Julia rush from the boat dock, as they are to
be married at 9:00 AM

Original Sin: Louis and Julia kiss for the first time

Original Sin: Louis and Julia finally have sex. These soft-core sex
scenes were cut from the movie theater version but were restored for
the DVD version.

Original Sin: Louis and Julia are taking a sexy bath tub bath together
when Louis informs Julia that a detective hired by her sister has
arrived from the USA to investigate what has happened to Julia. In the
next scene, Julia runs away and disappears. We soon learn the reason.
She is not the real Julia.

Original Sin: Louis goes to brothels looking for Julia. He finds many
beautiful prostitutes working there, including this one, but none of
them are Julia.

Original Sin: Julia has a new lover, Col. Harry Worth, who is called
Edmond in the movie.

Original Sin: Louis has entered her hotel room. He now confronts her
from behind. She sees him in the mirror.

Original Sin: Julia tells Louis to go ahead and shoot her.

Original Sin: Louis points his gun at Julia but cries that he cannot
shoot her because he still loves her.

Original Sin: Louis and Julia are back in bed together again for more
great sex. Louis has forgotten all about his plan to kill her.

Original Sin: When Julia refers to herself as the wife of Louis, he
offers to give her back her ring that he has brought with him. The
ring still does not fit, as before. (Julia had left the ring on the
table when she had absconded with all the money.)

Original Sin: Col. Harry Worth, who is called Edmond in the movie, is
confronted by a naked Louis.

Original Sin: Julia, holding a gun, tells Edmond to get away, as Louis
is dangerous.

Original Sin: Now, the Detective catches up with Louis. Louis tells
the Detective he does not know where Julia is. The Detective calls
Louis a liar, saying he can smell Julia's perfume on Louis and then
homosexually kisses Louis showing that he can taste Julia's lips on
Louis'es lips. The detective, who is named Billy in the movie, is
actually the original lover of Julia.

Original Sin: The Detective puts a knife to the neck of Julia

Original Sin: Julia kisses the detective but at the same time sticks a
gun in his gut and shoots and kills him

Original Sin: Julia has taught Louis how to cheat at poker. She walks
around the table signaling to Louis what is in the hands of the other
players.

Original Sin: Now Louis and Julia have escaped from the police and are
living in Morocco. Julia, who is wanted for murder, is signaling to
Louis what is in the hands of the other poker players.

D70 Darkness! Help! PJC Digital Photography 10 06-16-2004 12:04 AM
Re: Army of Darkness? Shrapnel DVD Video 2 06-26-2003 06:24 AM
Re: Army of Darkness? Jay G DVD Video 0 06-25-2003 11:53 AM
Re: Army of Darkness? Kevin DVD Video 2 06-25-2003 01:12 AM
Re: Army of Darkness? JWB DVD Video 0 06-23-2003 03:51 PM

Advertisments