Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Trying to generalize "Sunny 16"

Trying to generalize "Sunny 16"

Paul Ciszek

My camera won't go anywhere near f/16. So I am trying to generalize
the rule. Do I have it right?

Shutter time = (f-number/16)^2 / ISO

Paul Ciszek

In article <2011072119444610672-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
>On 2011-07-21 19:23:04 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Paul Ciszek) said:
>
>> My camera won't go anywhere near f/16. So I am trying to generalize
>> the rule. Do I have it right?
>>
>> Shutter time = (f-number/16)^2 / ISO

>You are using a camera which has RAW capability and should have along
>with all the various scene modes, a P mode, a shutter priority mode,
>aperture priority mode, and manual mode (check your manual). So there
>should be no reason you would not be able to adjust aperture to f/16 if
>you are shooting in Aperture priority, or manual mode.

In Aperture or Manual mode, the f number only goes as high as 8 according
to the manual. (It's a Lumix FZ35, not a DSLR.)

>Since you are addressing the "Sunny 16 Rule" you are implying that you
>are shooting in manual mode.
>
>< http://guidetofilmphotography.com/su...-exposure.html >

I need to generalize it to other f numbers. That table has only one f
number for each lighting condition, and some of them are f numbers I
don't have.

nospam

In article <j0ap1o$svk$(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul Ciszek
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> My camera won't go anywhere near f/16. So I am trying to generalize
> >> the rule. Do I have it right?
> >>
> >> Shutter time = (f-number/16)^2 / ISO

> >You are using a camera which has RAW capability and should have along
> >with all the various scene modes, a P mode, a shutter priority mode,
> >aperture priority mode, and manual mode (check your manual). So there
> >should be no reason you would not be able to adjust aperture to f/16 if
> >you are shooting in Aperture priority, or manual mode.

> In Aperture or Manual mode, the f number only goes as high as 8 according
> to the manual. (It's a Lumix FZ35, not a DSLR.)

the sunny 16 rule is on a sunny day, you want f/16 and 1/iso speed. if
you're using iso 100, that would be f/16 @ 1/100th. if you were using
iso 400, it would be f/16 @ 1/400th.

if you can only go to f/8, use a shutter speed that's two stops faster
(since f/8 is 2 stops slower than f/16).

in other words, at iso 100 you would normally want f/16 @ 1/100th, and
that's equivalent to f/11 @ 1/200th, f/8 @ 1/400th, f/5.6 @ 1/800th,
etc.

it's also a rule of thumb and not always ideal. with digital, you can
check to see what the best exposure really is on the lcd.

RichA

On Jul 21, 10:44*pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
wrote:
> On 2011-07-21 19:23:04 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Paul Ciszek) said:
>
> > My camera won't go anywhere near f/16. *So I am trying to generalize
> > the rule. *Do I have it right?

> > Shutter time = (f-number/16)^2 / ISO

> You are using a camera which has RAW capability and should have along
> with all the various scene modes, a P mode, a shutter priority mode,
> aperture priority mode, and manual mode (check your manual). So there
> should be no reason you would not be able to adjust aperture to f/16 if
> you are shooting in Aperture priority, or manual mode.
>
> Since you are addressing the "Sunny 16 Rule" you are implying that you
> are shooting in manual mode.

Any Nikon used with a non-AF lens that doesn't support them. D100,
D50, D70, D70s, D40, D40x, D60, D3000, D3100. Don't know if I missed
any.
Great thing about digital is that even without a meter, it takes about
10 seconds and a test exposure or two to get it right.

Paul Ciszek

In article <2011072120272125485-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

>The question which comes to mind given your not too flexible camera, is
>why are you concerned with the "Sunny 16" rule when your camera should
>be able to function within its narrow parameters in good light?
>or perhaps, why is it you need to shoot in manual in good light with
>that camera?

See the lunar photography thread. My camera is smart, but not quite
smart enough to handle *all* circumstances.

>At this point I would suggest leaving the exposure calculations to your
>camera. If you are determined to use the full range of manual
>adjustments photographers would expect to have available, consider
>buying a camera which will permit that.

I believe the restriction on f-numbers is more of a size thing. The
Lumix FZ35 is not a 35mm camer, but it does have a full manual mode.

PeterN

On 7/22/2011 9:12 AM, RichA wrote:
> On Jul 21, 10:44 pm, Savageduck<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
> wrote:
>> On 2011-07-21 19:23:04 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Paul Ciszek) said:
>>
>>> My camera won't go anywhere near f/16. So I am trying to generalize
>>> the rule. Do I have it right?

>>> Shutter time = (f-number/16)^2 / ISO

>> You are using a camera which has RAW capability and should have along
>> with all the various scene modes, a P mode, a shutter priority mode,
>> aperture priority mode, and manual mode (check your manual). So there
>> should be no reason you would not be able to adjust aperture to f/16 if
>> you are shooting in Aperture priority, or manual mode.
>>
>> Since you are addressing the "Sunny 16 Rule" you are implying that you
>> are shooting in manual mode.
>>

> Any Nikon used with a non-AF lens that doesn't support them. D100,
> D50, D70, D70s, D40, D40x, D60, D3000, D3100. Don't know if I missed
> any.
> Great thing about digital is that even without a meter, it takes about
> 10 seconds and a test exposure or two to get it right.

My D200 & D300 both support them with non-autofocus lenses.

--
Peter

RichA

On Jul 22, 11:24*am, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 7/22/2011 9:12 AM, RichA wrote:
>

> > On Jul 21, 10:44 pm, Savageduck<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
> > wrote:

> >> You are using a camera which has RAW capability and should have along
> >> with all the various scene modes, a P mode, a shutter priority mode,
> >> aperture priority mode, and manual mode (check your manual). So there
> >> should be no reason you would not be able to adjust aperture to f/16 if
> >> you are shooting in Aperture priority, or manual mode.

> >> Since you are addressing the "Sunny 16 Rule" you are implying that you
> >> are shooting in manual mode.

> > Any Nikon used with a non-AF lens that doesn't support them. *D100,
> > D50, D70, D70s, D40, D40x, D60, D3000, D3100. Don't know if I missed
> > any.
> > Great thing about digital is that even without a meter, it takes about
> > 10 seconds and a test exposure or two to get it right.

> My D200 & D300 both support them with non-autofocus lenses.
>
> --
> Peter

Yes, the semi-pro models do and the new D7000 as well as the pro
models.
You can even designate the old lenses in the camera, which is nice.

RichA

On Jul 22, 10:07*am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
wrote:
> On 2011-07-22 06:59:33 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Paul Ciszek) said:
>

> > In article <2011072120272125485-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
> > Savageduck *<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

> >> The question which comes to mind given your not too flexible camera, is
> >> why are you concerned with the "Sunny 16" rule when your camera should
> >> be able to function within its narrow parameters in good light?
> >> or perhaps, why is it you need to shoot in manual in good light with
> >> that camera?

> > See the lunar photography thread. *My camera is smart, but not quite
> > smart enough to handle *all* circumstances.

> Then you have the wrong camera for the job. There comes a time when one
> size does not fit all.
>

> >> At this point I would suggest leaving the exposure calculations to your
> >> camera. If you are determined to use the full range of manual
> >> adjustments photographers would expect to have available, consider
> >> buying a camera which will permit that.

> > I believe the restriction on f-numbers is more of a size thing. *The
> > Lumix FZ35 is not a 35mm camer, but it does have a full manual mode.

> ...and as has been stated elsewhere in this thread, it is the size of
> the sensor which is the limiting factor in your camera's ability to
> stop down. I have the same limitation with my G11, but not with my
> D300s.
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

There isn't even any point in stopping down below f5.6 because you end
up with nearly infinite DOF, except for macros.

Paul Ciszek

In article <2011072207070116708-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
>On 2011-07-22 06:59:33 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Paul Ciszek) said:
>

>> In article <2011072120272125485-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
>>>
>>> The question which comes to mind given your not too flexible camera, is
>>> why are you concerned with the "Sunny 16" rule when your camera should
>>> be able to function within its narrow parameters in good light?
>>> or perhaps, why is it you need to shoot in manual in good light with
>>> that camera?

>> See the lunar photography thread. My camera is smart, but not quite
>> smart enough to handle *all* circumstances.

>Then you have the wrong camera for the job. There comes a time when one
>size does not fit all.

Huh? I *have* to have a camera that is smart enough to handle all
circumstances? What's wrong with a camera that is smart enough to handle
most day-to-day circumstances, but can be overridden when you want to do
something weird?

>...and as has been stated elsewhere in this thread, it is the size of
>the sensor which is the limiting factor in your camera's ability to
>stop down. I have the same limitation with my G11, but not with my
>D300s.

And someday I shall graduate to a micro 4/3. But not in time for the
next full moon.

Chris Malcolm

Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <2011072119444610672-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck
> says...

>> You are using a camera which has RAW capability and should have along
>> with all the various scene modes, a P mode, a shutter priority mode,
>> aperture priority mode, and manual mode (check your manual). So there
>> should be no reason you would not be able to adjust aperture to f/16 if
>> you are shooting in Aperture priority, or manual mode.

> F16 is not such a good idea anyway with a camera with small pixels due
> to diffraction issues.

> But if I were Paul I would simply let the camera do the metering, or
> have a look at the histogram and meter with that.

Which rather notoriously don't work very well when photographing the
moon.

--
Chris Malcolm