Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Seeking advice for moonset photography

Re: Seeking advice for moonset photography

DanP

On Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:02:53 PM UTC+1, Paul Ciszek wrote:

> daylit moonset shot? I figure I could use up to an eighth of a second
> exposure and the moon shouldn't have time to move more than one pixel;
> should I use all the time available, or go faster?

From my experience the exposure at ISO 100 and f/5 will be around 1/200 sec.
Your teleconverter may reduce the real aperture, so exposure may increase.
Don't worry about Moon movement, just about camera shake. Tripod?

Focus will be an issue, you cannot cover everything at that focal length.

DanP

Paul Ciszek

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
DanP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:02:53 PM UTC+1, Paul Ciszek wrote:
>
>> daylit moonset shot? I figure I could use up to an eighth of a second
>> exposure and the moon shouldn't have time to move more than one pixel;
>> should I use all the time available, or go faster?

>From my experience the exposure at ISO 100 and f/5 will be around 1/200 sec.

I am a noob as to this f-stop stuff. I understand that smaller apertures
give you better depth-of-field (pinhole camera effect) but do I understand
correctly that a small aperture also gives you better resolution with cheap
lenses? Depth of field is not an issue, as the moon and the mountains are
both effectively infinity. Chromatic abberation, on the other hand, was
visible in my previous shot. Does a smaller aperture reduce chromatic
abberation any?

>Your teleconverter may reduce the real aperture, so exposure may increase.
>Don't worry about Moon movement, just about camera shake. Tripod?

Definately tripod. In fact, I will be shopping for a better tripod head
this saturday.

On a previous occasion, I shot the moon (at night) using f/6.3, 1/160 sec.
and ISO 100, which definately does NOT follow "sunny 16", so the DMW-LT55
teleconverter probably does mess up the aperture math as you say.

>Focus will be an issue, you cannot cover everything at that focal length.

If I can get objects at infinity in focus, that's all I need.

PeterN

On 7/21/2011 4:33 AM, DanP wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:02:53 PM UTC+1, Paul Ciszek wrote:
>
>> daylit moonset shot? I figure I could use up to an eighth of a second
>> exposure and the moon shouldn't have time to move more than one pixel;
>> should I use all the time available, or go faster?

> From my experience the exposure at ISO 100 and f/5 will be around 1/200 sec.
> Your teleconverter may reduce the real aperture, so exposure may increase.
> Don't worry about Moon movement, just about camera shake. Tripod?
>
> Focus will be an issue, you cannot cover everything at that focal length.

With both Moon and mountain at infinity?

--
Peter