Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > iPad nonsense at Orewa College

iPad nonsense at Orewa College

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>whoisthis wrote:

(snip)

>> Your "open" is a political view, not an educational one.

>It's very much an educational one. I teach my children in the merits of
>sharing - the walled garden approach is orthogonal to that. Children should
>be taught to "think outside the box", to question things and to
>metaphorically if not literally "open things up to see how they work". A
>closed system inhibits that.

I'll go further ... a closed system inhibits *everything*.

Msgr Scooter

On , , Mon, 25 Jul 2011 07:30:29 +1200, Re: iPad nonsense at Orewa College,
whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The remote wipe and "find my iPad" are good reasons to get the 3G
>version with GPS, quite apart from some of the augmented reality stuff
>available. If you demonstrate the "find my iPad" function in the class
>then none of them will nick it.

They will just turn up with lead envelopes to put the stolen IPad into.

to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
Anatole France.

Msgr Scooter

On , , Mon, 25 Jul 2011 18:56:37 +1200, Re: iPad nonsense at Orewa College,
whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Msgr Scooter <(E-Mail Removed).591> wrote:
>
>> On , , Mon, 25 Jul 2011 07:30:29 +1200, Re: iPad nonsense at Orewa College,
>> whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >The remote wipe and "find my iPad" are good reasons to get the 3G
>> >version with GPS, quite apart from some of the augmented reality stuff
>> >available. If you demonstrate the "find my iPad" function in the class
>> >then none of them will nick it.

>> They will just turn up with lead envelopes to put the stolen IPad into.

>Yeah, and what they will do is use them under 20 feet of water to make
>sure they will not be found when they are used.

They turn off the wireless ability and work on the sytem to remove any ownership
evidence or simply reset it to factory settings.

to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
Anatole France.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs whoisthis wrote:
> In article <j0gmfl$i88$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs whoisthis wrote:

>>> The battery life is said to something like 10 years worth of
>>> recharges.

>> And yet so many videos on youtube showing how to open various model
>> iPods to replace the batteries....

> Keep the FUD going. Why not show how they did not exist 10 years ago
> so they are still just a figment of the imagination.
>
>> "Said to be 10 years worth of recharges"? Ever hear of marketing?

> Ever hear of FUD.

Of course, although it doesn't apply here. Fear? Do try to put in more
effort to support your claims rather than only attacking my stand with
irrelevant acronyms. Twice.

>>> For you, yes, for kids at school probably not

>> The plethora of pro-iPad or pro-Orewa College replies you've posted
>> in this thread, some very curt and dismissive, makes one wonder if
>> perhaps you've sold your services?

> No, but little honesty is being used by the anti crowd.
>
> Have you used an iPad seriously ?
> Have you seen how they are integrated into the curriculum ?
> Have you had a class/school full of them ?
> Have you seen the variety of excellent software available ?

I take it from this lead-up that you have....

> Do you know anything about the remote configuration tools ?
>
> I was recently at a conference is Australia where a lot of these
> things were discussed by people who actually have experience,
> knowledge and facts as opposed to FUD.

LOL!!!! Not only do you repeat the irrelevant 'FUD' but you rebut with
hearsay?

I hope that you're making good money from shilling. It's making you look
like a fool.
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Gib Bogle

On 24/07/2011 8:52 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:

> The plethora of pro-iPad or pro-Orewa College replies you've posted in this
> thread, some very curt and dismissive, makes one wonder if perhaps you've
> sold your services?

Is this where the word "fanboi" appears?

Gib Bogle

On 23/07/2011 5:06 p.m., PeeCee wrote:
> On 19/07/2011 7:50 p.m., Peter Gutmann wrote:
>> A friend of mine (whose kids go there) just alerted me to the fact
>> that Orewa
>> College is recommending that parents buy "iPad laptops" [sic] for
>> their year
>> nine kids, including flexi-rent for parents who are struggling to put
>> food on
>> the table.
>>
>> Gosh, I wonder what's going to happen when they're required to type up a
>> homework assignment on their shiny new "iPad laptop"? Still, at least
>> they'll
>> be able to check on each other's Facebook pages during class.
>>
>> Peter.
>>

> Interesting comments on Tech Republic about why 'not' to buy you kid an
> iPad:
>
> http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10t...99?tag=nl.e042
>
> (you may need to create a free account)
>
> 1: It’s expensive
> 2: It’s not the best solution for note-taking or editing documents
> 3: It’s too distracting (games, apps, 4Gs, Web browsing, Twitter, IMs…)
> 4: It’s ultra-portable and ultra-droppable
> 5: What makes it desirable to your kid makes it desirable to criminals
> 6: It’s meant for the enjoyment of one person, which means social seclusion
> 7: Digital text books are a marvel, but there’s no secondary market
> 8: It’s a status symbol, plain and simple
> 9: It’ll already be old technology by the time you buy it
> 10: Your kid will want a laptop, too

The fragility is a major issue, even for me, but particularly where kids
are concerned. Apple laptops are already fragile, this just ups the ante.

Gib Bogle

On 24/07/2011 12:37 p.m., whoisthis wrote:

>> http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10t...an-ipad-for-yo
>> ur-college-student/2599?tag=nl.e042
>> (you may need to create a free account)
>>
>> 1: Itıs expensive
>> 2: Itıs not the best solution for note-taking or editing documents
>> 3: Itıs too distracting (games, apps, 4Gs, Web browsing, Twitter, IMsŠ)
>> 4: Itıs ultra-portable and ultra-droppable
>> 5: What makes it desirable to your kid makes it desirable to criminals
>> 6: Itıs meant for the enjoyment of one person, which means social seclusion
>> 7: Digital text books are a marvel, but thereıs no secondary market
>> 8: Itıs a status symbol, plain and simple
>> 9: Itıll already be old technology by the time you buy it
>> 10: Your kid will want a laptop, too
>>
>> Paul.

> What a pathetic list.

It's a very sensible list. Your dismissing it so thoughtlessly shows
that you are suffering from brand loyalty. Sympathy is due, but
patience is running short.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <j0lrnk$av2$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 24/07/2011 12:37 p.m., whoisthis wrote:
> http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10t...an-ipad-for-yo
>>> ur-college-student/2599?tag=nl.e042
>>> (you may need to create a free account)
>>>
>>> 1: Itıs expensive
>>> 2: Itıs not the best solution for note-taking or editing documents
>>> 3: Itıs too distracting (games, apps, 4Gs, Web browsing, Twitter, IMsŠ)
>>> 4: Itıs ultra-portable and ultra-droppable
>>> 5: What makes it desirable to your kid makes it desirable to criminals
>>> 6: Itıs meant for the enjoyment of one person, which means social seclusion
>>> 7: Digital text books are a marvel, but thereıs no secondary market
>>> 8: Itıs a status symbol, plain and simple
>>> 9: Itıll already be old technology by the time you buy it
>>> 10: Your kid will want a laptop, too
>>>
>>> Paul.

>> What a pathetic list.

>It's a very sensible list. Your dismissing it so thoughtlessly shows
>that you are suffering from brand loyalty. Sympathy is due, but
>patience is running short.

Dismissiveness is not a sufficient condition ... but the then total lack of
rebuttal might be ? Not a single argument is presented against any one of
the 10 points made.