Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > iPad nonsense at Orewa College

iPad nonsense at Orewa College

Gordon

On 2011-07-19, Peter Gutmann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A friend of mine (whose kids go there) just alerted me to the fact that Orewa
> College is recommending that parents buy "iPad laptops" [sic] for their year
> nine kids, including flexi-rent for parents who are struggling to put food on
> the table.
>
> Gosh, I wonder what's going to happen when they're required to type up a
> homework assignment on their shiny new "iPad laptop"? Still, at least they'll
> be able to check on each other's Facebook pages during class.

Excellent! A subject to fire this group off the past few days off the place
it has been

Gordon

On 2011-07-19, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 19/07/2011 10:45 p.m., Peter Gutmann wrote:
>
> (if they need one at all)
>
> And there is the crux of the matter - the case for secondary students
> needing a laptop/iPad/whatever is pretty weak. Pen and paper imparts
> writing, spelling and presentation skills that the etch-a-sketch never will.

It is interesting, but even though it is online, people keep asking for
paper and ink version.

Paper wins over tablets in so many ways. In that in which is does not, they
should be used.

Gordon

On 2011-07-19, Geopelia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> When I started school in 1934 the ballpoint pen wasn't invented.

it was very close though. Biro, the person, was about to make it happen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballpoint_pen

the patent for it was in 1888. like prestressed concrete or the working
Diesel engine. The theory had to wait until technology caught up.

> Pencils,
> nibs and inkwells were used in those days, even the good old slates were
> still around in some small schools.

Like paper, the pencil is still with us. It rules when it comes to writing
on a rough surface.

> How many people doing their IR3 this year could do the bit where they had to
> multiply something by .19xxx (I don't remember the last three numbers)?
> I bet there was a rush for the calculators.
>
> Yes, I did it without one.

Tell us Geo, can you work out the sqaure root of a number by hand? It can be
done. My Mother (How MS is that?), used to be able to give it a go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methods...g_square_roots

Drop down a wee bit

Gordon

On 2011-07-19, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <j03nsl$lcf$(E-Mail Removed)>, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On 19/07/2011 10:45 p.m., Peter Gutmann wrote:
>>
>> (if they need one at all)
>>
>> And there is the crux of the matter - the case for secondary students
>> needing a laptop/iPad/whatever is pretty weak. Pen and paper imparts
>> writing, spelling and presentation skills that the etch-a-sketch never will.

> I have come back from a conference where presentations were made by a
> couple of schools/universities in Australia who had iPad programs and
> they all reported good outcomes.
>
> I think you are showing the first symptoms of old age..."Didn't
> need/have that in my day".
>
> Todays world is very different from your parents one, and our children's
> will be very different from our own.

And here I shall throw in the ideas of Gene Roddenberry. In his shows they
keep passing tablets to each other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Roddenberry

Also because we can do it, should we. Nuclear energy, Rutherford helped this
become a reality, unlike TV. Should we carpet bomb with nuclear weaponsthe
oppsition because we are able to?

Technology is nothing more than something we need to consider how to use it.
Oh dear, some folks brains have gone into failure. Hang in there, we can get
you out

Gordon

On 2011-07-19, Robert Cooze <c_o-o_z-e_r-b_@-c-o-o-z-eD_O_Tc_oD_O_Tnz> wrote:
> On 20/07/11 07:34, Gib Bogle wrote:
>> On 7/20/2011 7:27 AM, whoisthis wrote:

>>> I have come back from a conference where presentations were made by a
>>> couple of schools/universities in Australia who had iPad programs and
>>> they all reported good outcomes.
>>>
>>> I think you are showing the first symptoms of old age..."Didn't
>>> need/have that in my day".
>>>
>>> Todays world is very different from your parents one, and our children's
>>> will be very different from our own.

>> But not necessarily in the ways you expect.

> I can see the point of both schools of thought. (excuse the pun)
>
> from where I sit the i-pad is a consumer of data not a content creator,
> even the lowly netbok/laptop can be a creator of data.

Alright, school children have been creators of data, since when?

> Mostly both are
> only used for consumption of data in the home usage.

Now I have a problem. All people should create data. It is what a democracy
does.

> My arguments against the i-pad is i-tunes is the only way to get data
> off the device and on to a desktop (according to a Apple shop) ok there
> is e-mail but that is well inefficient. Mind you these days people are
> using the tools in a haphassard manor. My Lawyer emails me word
> documents when they could be just the txt of the e-mail... and the
> e-mail is html too (least they are consistent).

Aftershock. Many good points.

Yes folks all documents need to be able to be read by the receiver. Think
about it.

I care not upon what platform you are on, but if I can not read your
attachment then I shall find someone who will send an attachment which I
can.

I have no problem with people speaking in a language which I do not speak,
so long as they are not referring to me with in it.

However may I ask why it i this a i that? Let people be free to choose. Or
how about a PC world, yes.

David Empson

Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2011-07-19, Peter Gutmann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > A friend of mine (whose kids go there) just alerted me to the fact that
> > Orewa College is recommending that parents buy "iPad laptops" [sic] for
> > their year nine kids, including flexi-rent for parents who are
> > struggling to put food on the table.
> >
> > Gosh, I wonder what's going to happen when they're required to type up a
> > homework assignment on their shiny new "iPad laptop"? Still, at least
> > they'll be able to check on each other's Facebook pages during class.
> >

> One has to wonder if a certain company, has had anything to do with this

The principal was interviewed on Campbell Live last night. She said
Apple Inc was not involved in any way. In fact, she said the iPad was
only their preferred choice because it had sufficient battery life to
last for the entire school day, while other devices might need to be
recharged during the day. The student could use any other tablet,
netbook or notebook.

I wonder how this might tie in with specific software requirements in
future - if there are particular applications the student needs to be
able to run, that might restrict the platforms they can use to ones on
which those applications exist.

Managing a classroom with mixed platforms could be somewhat of a
headache.

--
David Empson

Donchano

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:21:32 +1200, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>When I started school in 1934 the ballpoint pen wasn't invented. Pencils,
>nibs and inkwells were used in those days, even the good old slates were
>still around in some small schools.
>
>How many people doing their IR3 this year could do the bit where they had to
>multiply something by .19xxx (I don't remember the last three numbers)?
>I bet there was a rush for the calculators.
>
>Yes, I did it without one.

In what Americans then called "Junior High School" (now Middle School)
- in 1953 - I had a wonderful English teacher named Helen M.
Stelzriede who insisted we take our exams with ballpoint pens.
Presumably, so we had to think about our answers before committing
them to paper. I'll never forget the roasting I got one day when I
forgot that rule. That strict, uncompromising woman taught me a lot of
excellent life skills. Bless her.

Donchano

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 17:54:53 +1200, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 2011-07-19, Peter Gutmann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >
>> > A friend of mine (whose kids go there) just alerted me to the fact that
>> > Orewa
>> > College is recommending that parents buy "iPad laptops" [sic] for their
>> > year
>> > nine kids, including flexi-rent for parents who are struggling to put food
>> > on
>> > the table.
>> >
>> > Gosh, I wonder what's going to happen when they're required to type up a
>> > homework assignment on their shiny new "iPad laptop"? Still, at least
>> > they'll
>> > be able to check on each other's Facebook pages during class.
>> >

>> One has to wonder if a certain company, has had anything to do with this

>None. Thats is why they recommended the iPad because of its battery
>life. But keep up with the FUD.

I was just talking about this with my wife this morning and even
though I don't own any Apple products, I know the iPad battery life is
far superior to that of any laptop I've ever owned and figured that
I'd prefer an iPad if I was in an academic environment. Then again,
Apple laptops have a superior battery life as well.

But since just about every teenager I know can't even remember to
charge their cellphones, I wonder how many teen iPad users will come
up with the universal "I forgot" excuse?

Donchano

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 18:38:37 +1200, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 17:54:53 +1200, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>> >None. Thats is why they recommended the iPad because of its battery
>> >life. But keep up with the FUD.

>> I was just talking about this with my wife this morning and even
>> though I don't own any Apple products, I know the iPad battery life is
>> far superior to that of any laptop I've ever owned and figured that
>> I'd prefer an iPad if I was in an academic environment. Then again,
>> Apple laptops have a superior battery life as well.

>Yep, but still not good enough to be used all day. Schools being only 6
>hours they would be OK I guess, but over all they are much heavier than
>the iPad.

Yes ... weight is another variable we discussed and that's a major
factor when you consider the additional weight of books, lunch, drugs,
knives, guns, etc. Besides, remembering to turn a device off or put it
into "hibernation" or "standby" is probably too much for most teens.

>> But since just about every teenager I know can't even remember to
>> charge their cellphones, I wonder how many teen iPad users will come
>> up with the universal "I forgot" excuse?

>A few chargers would be all that is needed.

Or a few more years of maturity?

PeeCee

On 20/07/2011 12:48 a.m., Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article<(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)r
> says...
>>
>> Mind you, what was wrong with the Eton Tables eh... bugger this
>> technology lark, calculators be damned.
>>

> Right you are. When and where I went to school we weren't allowed calculators
> in math classes or tests. For a damn good reason. You wouldn't believe how
> often I run into people here in NZ who can't add two 3-digit numbers together
> without searching for their calculator first, and then they're surprised when
> my wife or I have already put the correct change on the counter before they've
> even begun to type the numbers in. Not to mention that I've severally had to
> pull people up because I knew the right result and they had typed it in wrong.
>
> I consider that as a fairly pathetic failure of the education system. I love
> technology and I love gadgets, no Luddite here, but I also believe that kids
> should have to learn some basic skills and fundamental knowledge. Copy-pasting
> Wiki articles on your ipad or lappy or whatever for work assignments is often
> not learning stuff nor furthering understanding on the whole ... it's just
> getting lazy, in many cases "supporting" teachers who don't even understand the
> matter they're supposed to teach (and I am speaking from an inside viewpoint
> here) by taking the load off them to actually present the material in a
> didactic manner.

Had to look that word "Didactic" up.
Came up with this one via Google:

<quote>
In the manner of a teacher, particularly so as to treat someone in a
patronizing way
- slow-paced, didactic lecturing
</quote>

Fully agree with your comments.
Have felt for many years Teachers should not be licensed to 'teach' till
they have spent at least half their working life actually working in
their chosen disciplines.

That way younger members of society will gain a more practical
appreciation of how things work in real life, and older members can make
a valuable contribution when they can no longer physically keep up in
their professions.

Those of us that are 'older' will well remember the previous attempts to
standardise on teaching computers in NZ schools.
The name 'Poly' comes to mind.

My pick is the Headmaster concerned has no mentor to gently point out
that this type of 'standardisation' has been tried before and found wanting.
The cynic in me says the the Headmaster is following the demands of a
fan boy and doesn't have the practical knowledge to discern the
impracticalities and dead ends mono cultures end in.

Ahh Theory is so perfect, 'in theory' !

Paul.