Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Dell 8400 Reset Boot Password- Now PC Will No Go Past Blue Screen Of Death

Dell 8400 Reset Boot Password- Now PC Will No Go Past Blue Screen Of Death

FRYLOCK

Hello to all,

I had an issue last week. I set my Dell Dimension 8400 to
require a password on the boot before it enters Windows XP Pro. I for
reasons beyond me could not remember the password. So I resorted to a
Dell help group which suggested that I remove the "jumper" on the
board (aka PASS) and remove it or set it on the 3rd and 4th pins
rather than the 1st and 2nd. I did this and the password cleared.
Then when I went to replace the jumper back on the original setting,
the pc will not boot, it does not recognize the hard drives or the cd
\cvd\cd-rw\ drives and just when it appears to be going to the initial
Windows XP screen it crashes to the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH, and I get
the following message, and I quote:" A problem has been detected and
windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If
this is the first time you have seen this screen, reboot the PC and if
it happens again follow these steps: Check for viruses on your
computer (I KNOW THERE ARE NO VIRUSES), remove any newly installed
hard disks or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make
sure it is properly configured. Run CHKDSK/F (cannot do this a I
cannot reach a DOS or command prompt) to check for hard drive
corruption and then shut down and restart your computer.

Then there is the following "technical info" : *** Stop 0X0000007B,
0XF7985528, 0XL0000034,0X00000000,0X00000000.

And that is where I am at, I have had no problems in the past that
I have not been able to correct similar to this one. I have a feeling
it may have something to do with the boot sequence, but this is my
only machine and I have used ut since 2004 as my one and only and not
had any issues that could not be fixxed like this one.

Please, I have been here many, many times before and have always
found the kind hearted souls here willing to help someone in over
their head. Thank you to and and all who can help, I am greatly in
your debt!

Take care and thank you to all who can help!

JMS

Paul

FRYLOCK wrote:
> Hello to all,
>
> I had an issue last week. I set my Dell Dimension 8400 to
> require a password on the boot before it enters Windows XP Pro. I for
> reasons beyond me could not remember the password. So I resorted to a
> Dell help group which suggested that I remove the "jumper" on the
> board (aka PASS) and remove it or set it on the 3rd and 4th pins
> rather than the 1st and 2nd. I did this and the password cleared.
> Then when I went to replace the jumper back on the original setting,
> the pc will not boot, it does not recognize the hard drives or the cd
> \cvd\cd-rw\ drives and just when it appears to be going to the initial
> Windows XP screen it crashes to the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH, and I get
> the following message, and I quote:" A problem has been detected and
> windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If
> this is the first time you have seen this screen, reboot the PC and if
> it happens again follow these steps: Check for viruses on your
> computer (I KNOW THERE ARE NO VIRUSES), remove any newly installed
> hard disks or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make
> sure it is properly configured. Run CHKDSK/F (cannot do this a I
> cannot reach a DOS or command prompt) to check for hard drive
> corruption and then shut down and restart your computer.
>
> Then there is the following "technical info" : *** Stop 0X0000007B,
> 0XF7985528, 0XL0000034,0X00000000,0X00000000.
>
> And that is where I am at, I have had no problems in the past that
> I have not been able to correct similar to this one. I have a feeling
> it may have something to do with the boot sequence, but this is my
> only machine and I have used ut since 2004 as my one and only and not
> had any issues that could not be fixxed like this one.
>
> Please, I have been here many, many times before and have always
> found the kind hearted souls here willing to help someone in over
> their head. Thank you to and and all who can help, I am greatly in
> your debt!
>
> Take care and thank you to all who can help!
>
> JMS

http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

When you used the "PASS" jumper, that *might* also have
reset the other BIOS settings.

Go into the BIOS setup screen, and check both the boot
order (floppy,cdrom,hdd and select a hdd from the pool
of hard drives). But also check the disk operating mode
(IDE, AHCI, RAID where IDE can be Enhanced or Compatible).

An OS like WinXP, uses a driver installed for the purpose
of supporting the hard drive operating mode.

The IDE modes, can be supported by built in drivers
provided when the OS was installed. AHCI and RAID
would normally require additional drivers.

AHCI usually requires a separate driver. If you
had a Windows 7 laptop, and were trying to install
WinXP on it as well, and the disk setting must stay
at AHCI, then you'd need to connect a floppy and offer a
driver via pressing F6. (The Windows XP installer CD,
prompts for a driver addition, early in the install,
which is when you'd be "pressing F6". On a pre-installed
Dell, this work would have been done for you.)

So your situation is similar to someone who failed to
press F6 during the install and offer a driver. Your
hardware is in a hard drive operating mode, for which
there is no driver in the OS.

Correcting the BIOS settings, in the BIOS setup screen,
and matching the mode used by the OS, should get you
past the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error. There is no need
to fiddle with drivers in the OS at this point - we
know your computer used to boot, and it's just a matter
of re-adjusting the BIOS, to match the mode it used to be
in.

It may take you a few tries to match it, but start
with the IDE modes first - unless you know, for example,
that your boot device is a RAID array (two or more disks,
RAID 0 stripe or RAID 1 mirror etc).

Good luck,
Paul