Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Other than an additional line - what benefits does VOIP bring?

Other than an additional line - what benefits does VOIP bring?

Bob Eager

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 11:10:31 +0100, Soruk wrote:

> On 2011-07-16, Theo Markettos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Trust No One®" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I'll download the software and see whether it will work on a tiny
>>> Emachine "Mini-e" ER1401 that I have. It is currently running Windows
>>> 7 Ultimate 64-bit quite happily - I will be interested to see how it
>>> takes to Linux

>> That's mindbogglingly fast for Asterisk. I'm running it on a 200MHz
>> wireless router with 32MB RAM, where it works OK as long as you don't
>> try to transcode audio.

> I'm running on a 400MHz Geode machine - it pulled 10 watts measured at
> the mains, and that was before I replaced its hard disc with an SDHC
> card.

Difficult to measure accurately at that level - but IME most hard disks
draw anything up to 10W, so it might be a bit more.

My Asterisk box has mirrored hard disks, and it's a 1GHz VIA board -
still only about 35W. At that speed, transcoding isn't aproblem - not
unusual to have two or more calls going at once!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bob Eager <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 11:10:31 +0100, Soruk wrote:

>>> That's mindbogglingly fast for Asterisk. I'm running it on a 200MHz
>>> wireless router with 32MB RAM, where it works OK as long as you don't
>>> try to transcode audio.

>> I'm running on a 400MHz Geode machine - it pulled 10 watts measured at
>> the mains, and that was before I replaced its hard disc with an SDHC
>> card.

>Difficult to measure accurately at that level - but IME most hard disks
>draw anything up to 10W, so it might be a bit more.

I build systems out of 500MHz Geode boards - for Asterisk and routers
and other (semi) embedded projects... I usually use a 256MB industrial
CF card:

http://unicorn.drogon.net/cutie.jpg
http://unicorn.drogon.net/cutie2+power.jpg

>My Asterisk box has mirrored hard disks, and it's a 1GHz VIA board -
>still only about 35W. At that speed, transcoding isn't aproblem - not
>unusual to have two or more calls going at once!

Because I sell such systems, I stress test them to work out their exact
limits, so I have some good ideas... However I also have a highly tuned
Linux kernel and userland geared up to the exact hardware platform,
which does help.

On the 1GHz VIA platforms, I've had well over 100 concurrent calls
handling media with no transcoding. I limit these boxes to 120 extensions
(so a max. of 60 calls) the Geodes topped out at 80 concurrent calls,
handling media (no transcoding) (These I limit to 30 extensions)

There is a non-linear relationship to clock speed and concurrent
calls managable. Probably due to kernel switching & hardware handling
times. (and cache, etc. too) On some (very!) old 533MHz VIA systems
which I use for development, they struggle to match the 500MHz Geodes.

I wish I could turn off the graphics on the VIA boards - I'm sure that
accounts for 10 of the 15 watts my VIA systems consume )-:

http://unicorn.drogon.net/stuff/power.jpg

There's a 1GHz VIA inside that box.

>> This extra bit of speed is good, it allows for audio transcoding, as I
>> use PCMA for my devices and trunks (one only allows PCMU...) but I have
>> Sipdroid configured to use GSM. I've found that works a bit better when
>> bandwidth can be limited.

The 1GHz VIA boards will transcode 8-9 instances of G711 to G729 and
about 15 to GSM.

Even very fast systems eventually tail off - the limitation then is
the kernel & hardwares ability to handle the packet switching load -
VoIP is small (160 byte) packets at 50 packets per second - each way,
so the kernel is handling 100 packets per second per call - that, more
than the physical line speed is more a limiting factor than anything else
(except transcoding) on slower boards, and even on faster boards it's
the packet rate that will cripple the system before you get anywhere
near physical line rate.

e.g. The Geodes fail non-linearly once past 80 calls handling media -
at 82 calls the CPU load was moderate - under 10% - add one more call
and the load doubles, another call and it doubles again and at 85 calls
packets are being lost and the CPU is pegged at 100%

VIA boards are becoming harder to get these days, so I'm moving to Atom
boards. Cheaper, faster and with the right chipset, no more power either.

Gordon

Bob Eager

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 13:39:53 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

>>Difficult to measure accurately at that level - but IME most hard disks
>>draw anything up to 10W, so it might be a bit more.

> I build systems out of 500MHz Geode boards - for Asterisk and routers
> and other (semi) embedded projects... I usually use a 256MB industrial
> CF card:

I understand that....and you mentioned the CF card before. I was just
wondering about the power level before you took out the real HD, that's
all....it implied that the power consumption after removing it was only
about 5W. I can't remember what Geode boards use...I looked at them a
while ago but had trouble sourcing them so went with VIA.

I use a CF card in one of my VIA machines, too...I have built quite a few
of them.

>>My Asterisk box has mirrored hard disks, and it's a 1GHz VIA board -
>>still only about 35W. At that speed, transcoding isn't aproblem - not
>>unusual to have two or more calls going at once!

> Because I sell such systems, I stress test them to work out their exact
> limits, so I have some good ideas... However I also have a highly tuned
> Linux kernel and userland geared up to the exact hardware platform,
> which does help.

I've done the same, but with FreeBSD. As a BSD user since 1977, it was a
more logical choice.

> On the 1GHz VIA platforms, I've had well over 100 concurrent calls
> handling media with no transcoding. I limit these boxes to 120
> extensions (so a max. of 60 calls) the Geodes topped out at 80
> concurrent calls, handling media (no transcoding) (These I limit to 30
> extensions)
>
> There is a non-linear relationship to clock speed and concurrent calls
> managable. Probably due to kernel switching & hardware handling times.
> (and cache, etc. too) On some (very!) old 533MHz VIA systems which I use
> for development, they struggle to match the 500MHz Geodes.
>
> I wish I could turn off the graphics on the VIA boards - I'm sure that
> accounts for 10 of the 15 watts my VIA systems consume )-:

I'm sure it does. I was being pessimistic and allowing for transcoding;
also, I built 'standard' VIA systems; they are used for many other
purposes, one of those being Asterisk.

> The 1GHz VIA boards will transcode 8-9 instances of G711 to G729 and
> about 15 to GSM.

That's useful to know; a bit more than I expected.

> VIA boards are becoming harder to get these days, so I'm moving to Atom
> boards. Cheaper, faster and with the right chipset, no more power
> either.

Probably what I'll do. At present I just have lots of reasonably low
power systems, all in 1U boxes.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bob Eager <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 13:39:53 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>
>>>Difficult to measure accurately at that level - but IME most hard disks
>>>draw anything up to 10W, so it might be a bit more.

>> I build systems out of 500MHz Geode boards - for Asterisk and routers
>> and other (semi) embedded projects... I usually use a 256MB industrial
>> CF card:

>I understand that....and you mentioned the CF card before. I was just
>wondering about the power level before you took out the real HD, that's
>all....it implied that the power consumption after removing it was only
>about 5W. I can't remember what Geode boards use...I looked at them a
>while ago but had trouble sourcing them so went with VIA.

I've no idea - as I started from scaratch with CF cards in the Geodes
(and Disk on Flash IDE modules for the VIAs and Atoms)

>I use a CF card in one of my VIA machines, too...I have built quite a few
>of them.
>
>>>My Asterisk box has mirrored hard disks, and it's a 1GHz VIA board -
>>>still only about 35W. At that speed, transcoding isn't aproblem - not
>>>unusual to have two or more calls going at once!

>> Because I sell such systems, I stress test them to work out their exact
>> limits, so I have some good ideas... However I also have a highly tuned
>> Linux kernel and userland geared up to the exact hardware platform,
>> which does help.

>I've done the same, but with FreeBSD. As a BSD user since 1977, it was a
>more logical choice.

77. You're boasting now Sure it was BSD though? Thought that started
in '78... My first experience with Unix was v6 in a PDP11/40 - and that
was in 1979/80, closely followed by v7... Some say it all went downhill
after that...

Anyway, BSD's not relevant today

http://bsd.slashdot.org/story/11/07/...levant-Anymore

>> The 1GHz VIA boards will transcode 8-9 instances of G711 to G729 and
>> about 15 to GSM.

>That's useful to know; a bit more than I expected.

The C7's are supposed to be more efficient than the C3's, but I've not
really noticed any difference. Maybe for some of the graphics stuff
they are though.

>> VIA boards are becoming harder to get these days, so I'm moving to Atom
>> boards. Cheaper, faster and with the right chipset, no more power
>> either.

>Probably what I'll do. At present I just have lots of reasonably low
>power systems, all in 1U boxes.

For my home/office, I've moved to virtualisation just to cut down the
box count, however as it's relatively carefully controlled, it works well
for me. (4 or 5 PBXs - one my office, one home, one my wifes office and
one or 2 under test) Mostly all hosted on an Atom server.

Biggest hassle I've had with 1U boxes was getting them with the right IO
backplanes )-:

Cheers,

Gordon