Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Quick-release intermediate mounting plates?

Re: Quick-release intermediate mounting plates?

PeterN

On 7/14/2011 2:38 PM, Mxsmanic wrote:
> Does anyone make quick-release mounting plates for cameras that can be placed
> between another mounting plate and the camera itself?
>
> For example, I have a simple mounting plate that just has some holes in it,
> and a screw with washers is passed through one of the holes and into the
> mounting hole on the camera to fasten it to the tripod. The problem is that I
> have to unscrew the camera if I want to remove it. So I want to put a
> quick-release in-between. But the few QR mounts that I've looked at have a
> large screw hole on the bottom that's designed to screw onto a tripod (such as
> a ball mount), rather than a small screw hole of the same size as the hole on
> the camera. I need something with the same size screws on both top and bottom,
> so that it can be inserted between the simple mounting plate and the camera.
>
> The mounting hole on the camera is the standard kind you find on any camera.
> The holes in the mounting plate are big enough for this size of screw to pass,
> but too small for the larger mounting screws on the base of most QR plates.
>
> Who makes this sort of gadget? Brands and/or model numbers would be welcome.

Go the the website of any major camera retailer: B&H; adorama: Calumet,
etc and you will see all kinds, from heavy duty to feather weight. You
need one female base plate for your tripod and multiple male units.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 7/14/2011 9:51 PM, Mxsmanic wrote:
> PeterN writes:
>
>> Go the the website of any major camera retailer: B&H; adorama: Calumet,
>> etc and you will see all kinds, from heavy duty to feather weight. You
>> need one female base plate for your tripod and multiple male units.

> I've been searching around a bit and it looks like the Manfrotto 577 might fit
> the bill, if I can find a place that stocks it. I've already blown 45 euro on
> a QR plate that didn't fit, so I hope I can find this one and that it will
> work.

I'm sure you understand that the base plate and connecter must b
originally designed to fit each other. Also, get a heavier duty one than
you think you will ever need.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 7/16/2011 7:59 AM, Mxsmanic wrote:
> PeterN writes:
>
>> I'm sure you understand that the base plate and connecter must b
>> originally designed to fit each other.

> Well, they have to have compatible screw sizes.

The mate. Must be an exact fit.

--
Peter