Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: 60s Flashback

Re: 60s Flashback

otter

On Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:16:51 PM UTC-5, ASCII wrote:
> otter wrote:
> >
> >Not your ordinary picture. I like the feeling of the shot, but not fond
> >of the building in the background.

> Looks like the cabin on some type of watercraft

I was thinking houseboat, or some sort of building on a dock. But whateverit is, I don't think it adds anything to the picture, but rather detracts from it. It leads the eye away from the subject of the photo, and is not especially interesting to look at.

I make this kind of mistake all the time. When you take the picture, you are concentrating on the subject, and it is easy to not notice the unsightlyobject in the background until later when you are looking at the picture. I think it is learned skill to check the background BEFORE taking the shot..

I realize it is all the more difficult for Dudley, given his handicap. Notsure how he composes pictures. Is there a sighted assistant involved? Ifso, perhaps that person could be instructed to check the background.

I was an "Uncle Bob" second shooter at a wedding last weekend, and several times the pro pointed out objects in the background to me to avoid, like golf carts, trash cans, etc. Probably most could have been removed in Photoshop, but it is better to get it right to start with.

Robert Coe

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 23:43:10 -0500, Allen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On 7/14/2011 8:08 PM, otter wrote:
: > On Jul 14 2011 11:42 AM, Dudley Hanks wrote:
: >
: >> That's one of the BIG reasons I post here. You guys are rather good at
: >> finding the things most non-pros miss.
: >
: > Just to be clear, I'm a non-pro myself (which should be obvious by my
: > pictures in the shoot-ins). I've learned from comments on my pictures in
: > this group, too, and welcome direct criticism as long as it is honest. I
: > think you learn more that way. I have a thick skin and assume others do
: > too, and that's often a mistake. But I can see you take criticism well.
: >
: > I've also had good things to say about your pictures, too.
: >
: > __________________________________________________ __________________
: >
: >
: Otter, a word about you. I look forward to your entries in the
: shoot-ins. I've lived in Austin since 1948, when I came here to enter
: UT. Now, 63 yers later, I am almost totally housebound thanks to various
: neurological problems, so I get out very little and take very few
: pictures. I can count on your posting interesting (and quite good)
: pictures of places that I treasure but can't get to any more. The first
: picture of yours that caught my attention was taken at Hamilton's Pool,
: which I haven't seen in years. Please, oh please keep it up!
: Allen

I've never been in Austin, but I have a cousin who moved to Austin, married a
Texan, and absolutely loves the city. From what she and others tell me, Austin
may be the one place we'll miss when Texas secedes from the United States.

Bob

otter

On Jul 23, 6:50*pm, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 23:43:10 -0500, Allen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've never been in Austin, but I have a cousin who moved to Austin, married a
> Texan, and absolutely loves the city. From what she and others tell me, Austin
> may be the one place we'll miss when Texas secedes from the United States..

Austin is my favorite city in Texas, but there are parts of Dallas,
Houston, and San Antonio that are quite nice to live in. A few other
places, too.

You may miss Austin, if Texas secedes, but you'll probably miss the
oil more.