Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > This is insane!

This is insane!

RichA

tony cooper

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 20:35:00 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2011-07-13 20:14:07 -0700, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKpx...layer_embedded

>Congratulations. Finally a great on topic post from Rich.
>
>It must have killed you having those iMacs in there.

Blatant example of product placement.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 20:56:42 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2011-07-13 20:46:22 -0700, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 20:35:00 -0700, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>>> Congratulations. Finally a great on topic post from Rich.
>>>
>>> It must have killed you having those iMacs in there.

>> Blatant example of product placement.

>I guess that goes for everything else in that room.

It was a joke, son. You Apple people are *so* sensitive.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKpx...layer_embedded

There's an explanation of how it was done, and why:
http://2dphotography.ca/blog/2011/07/rube-goldberg/

I was pleased to see that someone had at last found a practical use
for those infernal multi-jointed plastic "tripods" - surely the most
over-hyped photographic accessory of all time.

RichA

On Jul 13, 11:35*pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
wrote:
> On 2011-07-13 20:14:07 -0700, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKpx...layer_embedded

> Congratulations. Finally a great on topic post from Rich.
>
> It must have killed you having those iMacs in there.
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

Not really. I see Apple product placement in every movie and TV show
going. You get used to it.

tony cooper

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 08:11:15 -0700 (PDT), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Jul 13, 11:35*pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
>wrote:
>> On 2011-07-13 20:14:07 -0700, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>
>> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKpx...layer_embedded

>> Congratulations. Finally a great on topic post from Rich.
>>
>> It must have killed you having those iMacs in there.
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Savageduck

>Not really. I see Apple product placement in every movie and TV show
>going. You get used to it.

I was pulling the Duck's chain when I said it was product placement.
This is clearly not the case. Product placement is done in movies and
television shows where the exposure in the millions of viewers.

The products for this project were donated by sponsors or loaned to 2D
for the project. There's a whole list of sponsors in this YouTube
clip about the project:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfrm...eature=related

A sponsor providing products is different from product placement.
Product placement is where the manufacturer or an agent of the
manufacturer goes to the production company and gets the production
company to agree to use the product by either paying a fee or
providing a product for use at no charge to the production company.

When the production company - in this case, 2D - goes to the
manufacturer or distributor of a product, that is a company looking
for sponsorship for the project. In some cases, the product isn't
even identifiable by brand on the screen. That doesn't happen in
product placement.

What does confuse me a little about this project is the tie to Penny
Auctions. 2D evidently does commercials for Penny Auctions (you can
find them elsewhere on YouTube), but this project doesn't seem to be a
commercial. Perhaps Penny Auctions was just a sponsor.

It would be interesting to know what happened to those products after
the project was completed. There's some expensive stuff in there.
Did the good stuff go back to the sponsors? Donated to some
charitable group?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Stefan Patric

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 20:14:07 -0700, RichA wrote:

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKpx...layer_embedded

Business must be slow. This guy has way too much free time.

Stef

PeterN

On 7/14/2011 11:52 AM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 08:11:15 -0700 (PDT), RichA<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 13, 11:35 pm, Savageduck<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Congratulations. Finally a great on topic post from Rich.
>>>
>>> It must have killed you having those iMacs in there.
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Savageduck

>> Not really. I see Apple product placement in every movie and TV show
>> going. You get used to it.

> I was pulling the Duck's chain when I said it was product placement.
> This is clearly not the case. Product placement is done in movies and
> television shows where the exposure in the millions of viewers.
>
> The products for this project were donated by sponsors or loaned to 2D
> for the project. There's a whole list of sponsors in this YouTube
> clip about the project:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfrm...eature=related
>
> A sponsor providing products is different from product placement.
> Product placement is where the manufacturer or an agent of the
> manufacturer goes to the production company and gets the production
> company to agree to use the product by either paying a fee or
> providing a product for use at no charge to the production company.
>
> When the production company - in this case, 2D - goes to the
> manufacturer or distributor of a product, that is a company looking
> for sponsorship for the project. In some cases, the product isn't
> even identifiable by brand on the screen. That doesn't happen in
> product placement.
>
> What does confuse me a little about this project is the tie to Penny
> Auctions. 2D evidently does commercials for Penny Auctions (you can
> find them elsewhere on YouTube), but this project doesn't seem to be a
> commercial. Perhaps Penny Auctions was just a sponsor.
>

> It would be interesting to know what happened to those products after
> the project was completed. There's some expensive stuff in there.
> Did the good stuff go back to the sponsors? Donated to some
> charitable group?

I don't know about the subject situation. One of the perks of
volunteering as marshal at golf events was a chance to buy some
expensive and slightly used video monitors at well below retail.

--
Peter

Whisky-dave

On Jul 14, 4:11*pm, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 13, 11:35*pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 2011-07-13 20:14:07 -0700, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> > >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKpx...layer_embedded

> > Congratulations. Finally a great on topic post from Rich.

> > It must have killed you having those iMacs in there.
> > --
> > Regards,

> > Savageduck

> Not really. *I see Apple product placement in every movie and TV show
> going. *You get used to it.

You should tell Neil H as he sees the world as a PC world.

I wonder why these 'shows' do it, Apple doesn;t pay them....
So it must either be because Macs look better or that they are trying
to say something
about the show it'self.
I see Macs and PCs being used on site when fiming, but I don;t see
that as product placement.

Whisky-dave

On Jul 14, 6:22*pm, Stefan Patric <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 20:14:07 -0700, RichA wrote:
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKpx...layer_embedded

> Business must be slow. *This guy has way too much free time.
>
> Stef *

Yeah but what a fun way to spend that time....