Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Internet Explorer 6 vs. Explorer 7

Internet Explorer 6 vs. Explorer 7

Dave C.

I presently have Explorer 6 installed on my computer, but soon (if not
now) it will not be supported. Before I install Explorer 7 is there
anything I should know about before installing?

And should I choose Explorer 8 over Explorer 7?

Thanks

Dave

Jeff Strickland

"Dave C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I presently have Explorer 6 installed on my computer, but soon (if not
> now) it will not be supported. Before I install Explorer 7 is there
> anything I should know about before installing?
>
> And should I choose Explorer 8 over Explorer 7?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

I moved straight from 6 to 8. 7 gets lots of bad press, and I see no point
in using it.

I resisted both 7 and 8 for a long time because I saw the only benefit was
Tabbed Browsing, and I saw no benefit in that at all. I simply opened
multiple instances of IE if I wanted to preserve whichever page I was on
while visiting another.

Now that I use IE8 and learned how to use tabs, I can't imagine how I made
it through the day without tabs. Tabs are the most wonderful thing since the
wheel.

ChrisCoaster

On Jul 13, 4:23*pm, "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Dave C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> >I presently have Explorer 6 installed on my computer, but soon (if not
> > now) it will not be supported. *Before I install Explorer 7 is there
> > anything I should know about before installing?

> > And should I choose Explorer 8 over Explorer 7?

> > Thanks

> > Dave

> I moved straight from 6 to 8. 7 gets lots of bad press, and I see no point
> in using it.
>
> I resisted both 7 and 8 for a long time because I saw the only benefit was
> Tabbed Browsing, and I saw no benefit in that at all. I simply opened
> multiple instances of IE if I wanted to preserve whichever page I was on
> while visiting another.
>
> Now that I use IE8 and learned how to use tabs, I can't imagine how I made
> it through the day without tabs. Tabs are the most wonderful thing since the
> wheel.

_______________________
I've only one gripe with Internet Explorer 8 and forward: right click
on a section of bookmarks under "Favorites" and tell me what happens.
Hint(It doesn't happen with IE7 or earlier gens).

-ChrisCoaster

James D Andrews

Dave C. was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:
> I presently have Explorer 6 installed on my computer, but soon (if not
> now) it will not be supported. Before I install Explorer 7 is there
> anything I should know about before installing?
>
> And should I choose Explorer 8 over Explorer 7?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

If you're going to stick with Internet Explorer, then go directly to
IE8. I've never heard anything good about IE7, and being on IE8 might
be easier to upgrade to IE9.

--
-There are some who call me...
Jim

"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
troublesome."
- Isaac Asimov

Jeff Strickland

"James D Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ivn75l$n09$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dave C. was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:
>> I presently have Explorer 6 installed on my computer, but soon (if not
>> now) it will not be supported. Before I install Explorer 7 is there
>> anything I should know about before installing?
>>
>> And should I choose Explorer 8 over Explorer 7?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Dave

> If you're going to stick with Internet Explorer, then go directly to IE8.
> I've never heard anything good about IE7, and being on IE8 might be easier
> to upgrade to IE9.

Except that the OS that uses IE9 does not support IE6, and the OS that uses
IE6 will not support IE9. So, given the OS that the OP has, IE8 is the end
of the line for him. There is no upgrade beyond IE8, unless it is made by
another vendor -- in which case it won't be IE9.

James D Andrews

ChrisCoaster banged his head on his keyboard to write :
> On Jul 13, 4:23*pm, "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Dave C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> I presently have Explorer 6 installed on my computer, but soon (if not
>>> now) it will not be supported. *Before I install Explorer 7 is there
>>> anything I should know about before installing?
>>> And should I choose Explorer 8 over Explorer 7?
>>> Thanks

>>> Dave

>> I moved straight from 6 to 8. 7 gets lots of bad press, and I see no point
>> in using it.
>>
>> I resisted both 7 and 8 for a long time because I saw the only benefit was
>> Tabbed Browsing, and I saw no benefit in that at all. I simply opened
>> multiple instances of IE if I wanted to preserve whichever page I was on
>> while visiting another.
>>
>> Now that I use IE8 and learned how to use tabs, I can't imagine how I made
>> it through the day without tabs. Tabs are the most wonderful thing since the
>> wheel.

> _______________________
> I've only one gripe with Internet Explorer 8 and forward: right click
> on a section of bookmarks under "Favorites" and tell me what happens.
> Hint(It doesn't happen with IE7 or earlier gens).
>
> -ChrisCoaster

Um, on IE8, if you right click on one of the bookmarks themselves, you
get the menu options:

Open, Print, Scan Antivirus (if installed), Send To, Cut, Copy, Create
Shortcut, Delete, Rename, Sort by Name, and Properties.

If you right click on the Favorites item itself, you get the menu
options for arrangement of the IE Menu/Taskbar and associated Toolbars.

What here is different from IE6?

--
-There are some who call me...
Jim

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

James D Andrews

Jeff Strickland was thinking very hard and all he could come up with
was:
> "James D Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ivn75l$n09$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Dave C. was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:
>>> I presently have Explorer 6 installed on my computer, but soon (if not
>>> now) it will not be supported. Before I install Explorer 7 is there
>>> anything I should know about before installing?
>>>
>>> And should I choose Explorer 8 over Explorer 7?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Dave

>> If you're going to stick with Internet Explorer, then go directly to IE8.
>> I've never heard anything good about IE7, and being on IE8 might be easier
>> to upgrade to IE9.
>>

> Except that the OS that uses IE9 does not support IE6, and the OS that uses
> IE6 will not support IE9. So, given the OS that the OP has, IE8 is the end of
> the line for him. There is no upgrade beyond IE8, unless it is made by
> another vendor -- in which case it won't be IE9.

That's assuming he doesn't upgrade his OS anytime soon.

--
-There are some who call me...
Jim

It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road,
and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be
swept off to.
-Samwise Gamgee quoting Bilbo Baggins, edited

Jeff Strickland

"James D Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ivn7nd$qm2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jeff Strickland was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:
>> "James D Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ivn75l$n09$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Dave C. was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:

>>> If you're going to stick with Internet Explorer, then go directly to
>>> IE8. I've never heard anything good about IE7, and being on IE8 might be
>>> easier to upgrade to IE9.
>>>

>> Except that the OS that uses IE9 does not support IE6, and the OS that
>> uses IE6 will not support IE9. So, given the OS that the OP has, IE8 is
>> the end of the line for him. There is no upgrade beyond IE8, unless it is
>> made by another vendor -- in which case it won't be IE9.

> That's assuming he doesn't upgrade his OS anytime soon.

But if he upgrades his OS, then the migration to IE9 will not be dependent
upon having IE8 first. You said that upgrading to IE9 might be easier if he
has IE8 first. I'm saying that there is no relationship in that migration
because his current OS does not support IE9, so he will never have it with
the OS he is using. When he changes the OS, then the decision of IE8 or IE9
will be made by the OS, not the then-current level of IE that is installed.

I happen to agree with you that he skip IE7 and go straight to IE8, but
having IE8 or not will play no role in the migration to IE9. That migration
will be controlled by the upgrade of the OS, not the browser.

James D Andrews

Jeff Strickland banged his head on his keyboard to write :
> "James D Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ivn7nd$qm2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Jeff Strickland was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:
>>> "James D Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:ivn75l$n09$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Except that the OS that uses IE9 does not support IE6, and the OS that
>>> uses IE6 will not support IE9. So, given the OS that the OP has, IE8 is
>>> the end of the line for him. There is no upgrade beyond IE8, unless it is
>>> made by another vendor -- in which case it won't be IE9.

>> That's assuming he doesn't upgrade his OS anytime soon.
>>

> But if he upgrades his OS, then the migration to IE9 will not be dependent
> upon having IE8 first. You said that upgrading to IE9 might be easier if he
> has IE8 first. I'm saying that there is no relationship in that migration
> because his current OS does not support IE9, so he will never have it with
> the OS he is using. When he changes the OS, then the decision of IE8 or IE9
> will be made by the OS, not the then-current level of IE that is installed.
>
> I happen to agree with you that he skip IE7 and go straight to IE8, but
> having IE8 or not will play no role in the migration to IE9. That migration
> will be controlled by the upgrade of the OS, not the browser.

You are absolutely right, sir, and I sit corrected.

Obviously, I didn't think of it in that viewpoint as I wrote it,
focused instead on the point of upgrading rather than OS comparison.

Glad we agree on the IE8, though having seen the ways of the dark side,
I recommend avoiding IE altogether. But given the two...

Cheers.

--

On Jul 14, 1:39*pm, James D Andrews <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Jeff Strickland banged his head on his keyboard to write :
>

> > "James D Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:ivn7nd$qm2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Jeff Strickland was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:

> >> That's assuming he doesn't upgrade his OS anytime soon.

> > But if he upgrades his OS, then the migration to IE9 will not be dependent
> > upon having IE8 first. You said that upgrading to IE9 might be easier if he
> > has IE8 first. I'm saying that there is no relationship in that migration
> > because his current OS does not support IE9, so he will never have it with
> > the OS he is using. When he changes the OS, then the decision of IE8 orIE9
> > will be made by the OS, not the then-current level of IE that is installed.

> > I happen to agree with you that he skip IE7 and go straight to IE8, but
> > having IE8 or not will play no role in the migration to IE9. That migration
> > will be controlled by the upgrade of the OS, not the browser.

> You are absolutely right, sir, and I sit corrected.
>
> Obviously, I didn't think of it in that viewpoint as I wrote it,
> focused instead on the point of upgrading rather than OS comparison.
>
> Glad we agree on the IE8, though having seen the ways of the dark side,
> I recommend avoiding IE altogether. *But given the two...
>
> Cheers.
>
> --
> -There are some who call me...
> Jim
>
> "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
> troublesome."
> - Isaac Asimov

It is very clear that IE8 is the choice. The reason I didn't go to
IE7 is because of some negatives about IE7. Thanks for all the other
information....very interesting.

Best regards,

Dave