Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > #define with semicolon

#define with semicolon

Ian Collins

On 07/23/11 09:46 AM, Todd Carnes wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 15:50:42 +0300, Phil Carmody wrote:
>
>> Thanks for reporting it (and for others such as Keith for responding to
>> it, as I don't read googlegroups posts). Let's hope we don't see any
>> more of those for a while.

> Posts to comp.lang.c are not GoogleGroups posts.

A number of old school Usenet users ignore posts from groups.google.com.

--
Ian Collins

Joe Pfeiffer

Todd Carnes <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 15:50:42 +0300, Phil Carmody wrote:
>
>> Thanks for reporting it (and for others such as Keith for responding to
>> it, as I don't read googlegroups posts). Let's hope we don't see any
>> more of those for a while.

> Posts to comp.lang.c are not GoogleGroups posts.

checking... in this case, the original question was, as was the OPs
followup pointing to the #define in the kernel.

Phil Carmody

Todd Carnes <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 15:50:42 +0300, Phil Carmody wrote:
>
> > Thanks for reporting it (and for others such as Keith for responding to
> > it, as I don't read googlegroups posts). Let's hope we don't see any
> > more of those for a while.

> Posts to comp.lang.c are not GoogleGroups posts.

I'm not quite sure how a post from googlegroups can be anything but a
googlegroups post, but if in your twisted little world that's how
things are, I hope you're happy there.

Phil
--
"At least you know where you are with Microsoft."
"True. I just wish I'd brought a paddle." -- Matthew Vernon

Todd Carnes

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 09:54:29 +1200, Ian Collins wrote:

> A number of old school Usenet users ignore posts from groups.google.com.

I see. I think it's a silly thing to do, but I guess it's no different
than the way I refused for years to give in and get a cell phone. Sooner
or later they'll get over it...just like I did.

Todd

Todd Carnes

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 01:14:08 +0300, Phil Carmody wrote:

> I'm not quite sure how a post from googlegroups can be anything but a
> googlegroups post, but if in your twisted little world that's how things
> are, I hope you're happy there.

Sheesh, don't get your panties in a bunch.

While users on GoogleGroups may post to a usenet newsgroup, they also may
post to groups that are not on usenet... i.e. a GoogleGroup. I'm only
saying that comp.lang.c is not a GoogleGroup. It's a usenet group.

Todd

Keith Thompson

Todd Carnes <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 15:50:42 +0300, Phil Carmody wrote:

>> Thanks for reporting it (and for others such as Keith for responding to
>> it, as I don't read googlegroups posts). Let's hope we don't see any
>> more of those for a while.

> Posts to comp.lang.c are not GoogleGroups posts.

I presume that by "googlegroups posts" he means articles posted to
Usenet via the Google groups interface.

Nokia

Phil Carmody

Todd Carnes <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 01:14:08 +0300, Phil Carmody wrote:
>
> > I'm not quite sure how a post from googlegroups can be anything but a
> > googlegroups post, but if in your twisted little world that's how things
> > are, I hope you're happy there.

> Sheesh, don't get your panties in a bunch.

Hypocrite.

> While users on GoogleGroups may post to a usenet newsgroup, they also may
> post to groups that are not on usenet... i.e. a GoogleGroup. I'm only
> saying that comp.lang.c is not a GoogleGroup. It's a usenet group.

Care to cite where I said otherwise?

For a while I used to have aioe.org /en bloc/ in my killfile too due
to the low SNR therefrom, you have reminded me of those days.

Phil
--

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 16:52:20 -0700, Keith Thompson wrote:

> I presume that by "googlegroups posts" he means articles posted to
> Usenet via the Google groups interface.

Yeah, I get it now. I took it the wrong way at first.

Todd

Seebs

On 2011-07-22, Todd Carnes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 09:54:29 +1200, Ian Collins wrote:
>> A number of old school Usenet users ignore posts from groups.google.com.

> I see. I think it's a silly thing to do, but I guess it's no different
> than the way I refused for years to give in and get a cell phone.

Well, maybe. If people with cell phones called you, did it result in
conversations with them being broken up into 1-minute sub-conversations
scattered around apparently randomly?

.... Come to think of it, maybe that is a sort of good analogy.

-s
--
Copyright 2011, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / (E-Mail Removed)

Todd Carnes

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 02:52:21 +0300, Phil Carmody wrote:

[blah, blah, blah... snip]

> For a while I used to have aioe.org /en bloc/ in my killfile too due to
> the low SNR therefrom, you have reminded me of those days.
>
> Phil

Whatever.

Believe it or not, I really was sorry you took offense (at first), but if
you want to get all worked up over one little comment, go right ahead.

As for me, I consider the conversation (what little there was of it) to
be over.

Todd