Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: 60s Flashback

Re: 60s Flashback

ASCII

otter wrote:

>Not your ordinary picture. I like the feeling of the shot, but not fond
>of the building in the background.

Looks like the cabin on some type of watercraft

Robert Coe

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 06:40:37 -0700 (PDT), otter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
: On Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:16:51 PM UTC-5, ASCII wrote:
: > otter wrote:
: > >
: > >Not your ordinary picture. I like the feeling of the shot, but not fond
: > >of the building in the background.
: >
: > Looks like the cabin on some type of watercraft
:
: I was thinking houseboat, or some sort of building on a dock. But whatever it is, I don't think it adds anything to the picture, but rather detracts from it. It leads the eye away from the subject of the photo, and is not especially interesting to look at.
:
: I make this kind of mistake all the time. When you take the picture, you are concentrating on the subject, and it is easy to not notice the unsightly object in the background until later when you are looking at the picture. I think it is learned skill to check the background BEFORE taking the shot.
:
: I realize it is all the more difficult for Dudley, given his handicap. Not sure how he composes pictures. Is there a sighted assistant involved? If so, perhaps that person could be instructed to check the background.
:
: I was an "Uncle Bob" second shooter at a wedding last weekend, and several times the pro pointed out objects in the background to me to avoid, like golf carts, trash cans, etc. Probably most could have been removed in Photoshop, but it is better to get it right to start with.

Gee, Otter, I don't agree. We could do without the third person, but I think
the boat (whose deck appears to be awash) contributes. Without it, the picture
would have to be much more tightly cropped, and we don't see enough of the
faces of the subjects to sustain interest.

Bob

otter

On Jul 23, 6:41*pm, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 06:40:37 -0700 (PDT), otter <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> : On Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:16:51 PM UTC-5, ASCII wrote:: > otter wrote:
>
> : > >
> : > >Not your ordinary picture. *I like the feeling of the shot, but not fond
> : > >of the building in the background.
> : >
> : > Looks like the cabin on some type of watercraft
> :
> : I was thinking houseboat, or some sort of building on a dock. *But whatever it is, I don't think it adds anything to the picture, but rather detracts from it. * It leads the eye away from the subject of the photo, andis not especially interesting to look at.
> :
> : I make this kind of mistake all the time. *When you take the picture,you are concentrating on the subject, and it is easy to not notice the unsightly object in the background until later when you are looking at the picture. *I think it is learned skill to check the background BEFORE taking the shot.
> :
> : I realize it is all the more difficult for Dudley, given his handicap. *Not sure how he composes pictures. *Is there a sighted assistant involved? *If so, perhaps that person could be instructed to check the background.
> :
> : I was an "Uncle Bob" second shooter at a wedding last weekend, and several times the pro pointed out objects in the background to me to avoid, like golf carts, trash cans, etc. *Probably most could have been removed in Photoshop, but it is better to get it right to start with.
>
> Gee, Otter, I don't agree. We could do without the third person, but I think
> the boat (whose deck appears to be awash) contributes. Without it, the picture
> would have to be much more tightly cropped, and we don't see enough of the
> faces of the subjects to sustain interest.
>
> Bob

OK, your comment forced me to look again. Nope, sorry, the building
is still an eyesore.
It is strange you call it a "boat". Perhaps it is a house boat, but
more likely just a building on the dock. It would be the first boat
that I've seen with gutters.

I wasn't suggesting cropping, BTW.