Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Almost feria time

Reply
Thread Tools

Almost feria time

 
 
Pablo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-13-2011
Thinking about the upcoming feria (fair - nocturnal).

What lens to take (or lenses).

Don't want to lug the rucksack full of stuff, so thought perhaps just the
10-20 and a flash. Obviously, it would be nice to have a telephoto to get
the scared kids' faces in the rides etc, but one can't have everything.

--
Pablo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbleypants/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Kevin McMurtrie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-14-2011
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Pablo <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Thinking about the upcoming feria (fair - nocturnal).
>
> What lens to take (or lenses).
>
> Don't want to lug the rucksack full of stuff, so thought perhaps just the
> 10-20 and a flash. Obviously, it would be nice to have a telephoto to get
> the scared kids' faces in the rides etc, but one can't have everything.


I'd bring the featherweight Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM with an UltraPod to
add a stabilizing handle to the camera. No flash needed.

The bulky EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM also performs well at night while
being a better general-purpose lens.

I don't use the 10-22 in low light. Camera shake isn't an issue at 10mm
but the lens isn't bright enough to see what you're doing in the
viewfinder. Producing a decent perspective with it is hard enough
during the day.
--
I will not see posts from Google because I must filter them as spam
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Pablo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-14-2011
Kevin McMurtrie escribió:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Pablo <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Thinking about the upcoming feria (fair - nocturnal).
>>
>> What lens to take (or lenses).
>>
>> Don't want to lug the rucksack full of stuff, so thought perhaps just the
>> 10-20 and a flash. Obviously, it would be nice to have a telephoto to get
>> the scared kids' faces in the rides etc, but one can't have everything.

>
> I'd bring the featherweight Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM with an UltraPod to
> add a stabilizing handle to the camera. No flash needed.



So might I, if I had one.

My choices are thus:

Sigma 10-20 4.0-5.6
Canon kit 18-55
Tamron kit 70-300
Sigma 120-400 4.5-5.6 IS/OS

Not exactly a professional collection.

--
Pablo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbleypants/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Kevin McMurtrie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-19-2011
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Pablo <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Kevin McMurtrie escribió:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Pablo <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Thinking about the upcoming feria (fair - nocturnal).
> >>
> >> What lens to take (or lenses).
> >>
> >> Don't want to lug the rucksack full of stuff, so thought perhaps just the
> >> 10-20 and a flash. Obviously, it would be nice to have a telephoto to get
> >> the scared kids' faces in the rides etc, but one can't have everything.

> >
> > I'd bring the featherweight Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM with an UltraPod to
> > add a stabilizing handle to the camera. No flash needed.

>
>
> So might I, if I had one.
>
> My choices are thus:
>
> Sigma 10-20 4.0-5.6
> Canon kit 18-55
> Tamron kit 70-300
> Sigma 120-400 4.5-5.6 IS/OS
>
> Not exactly a professional collection.


Fixed lenses are inexpensive, lightweight, sharp, and bright. They can
outperform zoom lenses that cost 5 to 20 times as much.

Adding a large handle to your camera, like a folded up mini tripod, will
significantly stabilize it. The angular inertia of an opened tripod is
also an excellent stabilizer even if it's not touching the ground.
--
I will not see posts from Google because I must filter them as spam
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Malcolm
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-19-2011
Kevin McMurtrie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Pablo <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:


>> Kevin McMurtrie escribió:
>> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Pablo <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> >> Thinking about the upcoming feria (fair - nocturnal).
>> >>
>> >> What lens to take (or lenses).
>> >>
>> >> Don't want to lug the rucksack full of stuff, so thought perhaps just the
>> >> 10-20 and a flash. Obviously, it would be nice to have a telephoto to get
>> >> the scared kids' faces in the rides etc, but one can't have everything.
>> >
>> > I'd bring the featherweight Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM with an UltraPod to
>> > add a stabilizing handle to the camera. No flash needed.

>>
>> So might I, if I had one.
>>
>> My choices are thus:
>>
>> Sigma 10-20 4.0-5.6
>> Canon kit 18-55
>> Tamron kit 70-300
>> Sigma 120-400 4.5-5.6 IS/OS
>>
>> Not exactly a professional collection.


> Fixed lenses are inexpensive, lightweight, sharp, and bright. They can
> outperform zoom lenses that cost 5 to 20 times as much.


> Adding a large handle to your camera, like a folded up mini tripod, will
> significantly stabilize it. The angular inertia of an opened tripod is
> also an excellent stabilizer even if it's not touching the ground.


Or a monopod. That's why I often have a monopod on my camera, and
often shoot without extending the monopod to touch anything. Simply as
a big heavy handle with considerable rotational inertia it's an
excellent stabiliser even before it's foot is on the ground.

There's one area in which zooms hugely outperform fixed focal lengths
-- catching unpredictable events. Often there's not even time to take
your camera out of a holster bag, let alone extract it from a pack or
change a lens.

--
Chris Malcolm

 
Reply With Quote
 
Pablo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-28-2011
Pablo escribió:

> Thinking about the upcoming feria (fair - nocturnal).
>
> What lens to take (or lenses).


I took the longest. Here are the results:

url:http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbley...261199/detail/

Eat you heart out Peter Pan.

--
Pablo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbleypants/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Pablo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2011
Paul Furman escribió:

> Pablo wrote:
>> Pablo escribió:
>>
>>> Thinking about the upcoming feria (fair - nocturnal).
>>>
>>> What lens to take (or lenses).

>>
>> I took the longest. Here are the results:
>>
>>

url:http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbley...261199/detail/
>>
>> Eat you heart out Peter Pan.

>
> Ah, OK, I assumed it was a night time event. What's the story with the
> spider web, or am I interpreting that wrong? Anyways, you certainly used
> the right lens.


It was early evening. The sun was a bit of a pain, actually.

The spider web was an old photo I had kicking about to replace the rather
large rubbish bins. I decided that it looked a bit Peter Pan though, so with
the later photos I just "adjusted" the depth of field a tad and left the
bins etc. in.

--
Pablo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbleypants/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Pablo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2011
Paul Furman escribió:

> Pablo wrote:
>> Paul Furman escribió:
>>
>>> Pablo wrote:
>>>> Pablo escribió:
>>>>
>>>>> Thinking about the upcoming feria (fair - nocturnal).
>>>>>
>>>>> What lens to take (or lenses).
>>>>
>>>> I took the longest. Here are the results:
>>>>
>>>>

>>

url:http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbley...261199/detail/
>>>>
>>>> Eat you heart out Peter Pan.
>>>
>>> Ah, OK, I assumed it was a night time event. What's the story with the
>>> spider web, or am I interpreting that wrong? Anyways, you certainly used
>>> the right lens.

>>
>> It was early evening. The sun was a bit of a pain, actually.
>>
>> The spider web was an old photo I had kicking about to replace the rather
>> large rubbish bins. I decided that it looked a bit Peter Pan though, so
>> with the later photos I just "adjusted" the depth of field a tad and left
>> the bins etc. in.

>
>
>
> Looking at one of the others, the exif says 120mm f/10
> In hindsight, I would have used 400mm f/5.6 on your:
> Sigma 120-400 4.5-5.6 IS/OS
> to soften the backgrounds even more.


I've decided that the IS/OS doesn't work. Well, not for me.

--
Pablo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbleypants/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is time.time() < time.time() always true? flamesrock Python 8 11-24-2006 06:51 AM
Re: The Time for Payback is Almost Here!!! NeoLibertarian Digital Photography 2 05-14-2006 12:25 AM
X-mas time - almost Tony Sperling Windows 64bit 2 11-26-2005 09:36 AM
delta time = time stop - time start engsol Python 2 01-26-2004 12:06 PM
Site almost ready - please comment if you have some time Joenco HTML 2 07-03-2003 02:20 AM



Advertisments