Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Problem with sound

Problem with sound

Darko Ercegovic

Hi,

I made my web site and put background music there. It woks nice when I
enter site from my own computer but there is no sound when it is opened
from any other computer.

Can you tell me what I did wrong?

<embed height="0" width="2"
src="http://www.omega3zona.hr/glazba/filename.mid" autostart="true"
loop="1" volume="80">

Jonathan N. Little

Darko Ercegovic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I made my web site and put background music there. It woks nice when I
> enter site from my own computer but there is no sound when it is opened
> from any other computer.
>
> Can you tell me what I did wrong?
>
> <embed height="0" width="2"
> src="http://www.omega3zona.hr/glazba/filename.mid" autostart="true"
> loop="1" volume="80">

A few of countless examples

<http://www.cikmarketing.ca/all_blog_posts/why-background-music-makes-your-website-suck/>

<http://doodlekit.com/blog/entry/37742/why-you-should-avoid-background-music-on-your-website>

<http://www.seomoz.org/blog/how-to-convince-a-client-their-site-doesnt-need-music>

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

dorayme

In article <ivd9cf$371$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Darko Ercegovic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I made my web site and put background music there. It woks nice when I
> enter site from my own computer but there is no sound when it is opened
> from any other computer.
>
> Can you tell me what I did wrong?
>
> <embed height="0" width="2"
> src="http://www.omega3zona.hr/glazba/filename.mid" autostart="true"
> loop="1" volume="80">

Instead, put the following link:

http://www.omega3zona.hr/glazba/

with a *prominent* note saying to open it in a new tab and to
select a tune and keep the tab in the browser while you browse
other tabs. Add for the sophisticated background music listener
that if he or she opens as many tabs as there are midi tunes in
your collection, he or she can have them all playing at once in
the background.

Consider adding various other midi tunes so that folk can compose
their own eclectic choruses.

Most films and documentaries have some some idiot lay down
totally inappropriate music to blare or tinkle in the background,
inappropriate mostly because no music is the most appropriate of
all. It happens with otherwise good films and documentaries.

Latest for me was the Australian national broadcaster's doco on
refugee boats. One of the saddest (because potentially so good)
from a while ago was Ken Burns's series on the American Civil
War. Ruined by the idiot let loose from the music department.

As for movies, don't get me going. There was a terrific battle at
the beginning of Gladiator with tons of super loud bangs and
whirrings and other sounds of battle. But no, this was not enough
for the idiot director or the music director. There had to be
some idiot loud music to compete with the rest!

--
dorayme

Jukka K. Korpela

2011-07-11 1:33, Darko Ercegovic wrote:

> I made my web site and put background music there.

Others have explained why it's probably a bad idea, so I can focus on
technicalities.

> It woks nice when I
> enter site from my own computer but there is no sound when it is opened
> from any other computer.

We can't test this on any computer, because you did not post a URL.

> Can you tell me what I did wrong?

Maybe if you post a URL.

> <embed height="0" width="2"
> src="http://www.omega3zona.hr/glazba/filename.mid" autostart="true"
> loop="1" volume="80">

That won't work anywhere, because there is no resource matching the URL
http://www.omega3zona.hr/glazba/filename.mid
(the server responds with 404 Not Found).

When I used my magical powers to find out URLs of recordings that you
have actually used, I found no problem in making them work on a web page
using the correct URLs.

If _some_ of the MIDIs don't work, maybe there's some data error in
them. Then you could contact the producers, which you must know,
directly or indirectly, as you have got the permissions from the
copyright owners to use their music. (Haven't you?)

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Darko Ercegovic

Hi Jukka,

Let try to answer your dillemas:

On 11.7.2011. 6:57, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> 2011-07-11 1:33, Darko Ercegovic wrote:
>
>> I made my web site and put background music there.

> Others have explained why it's probably a bad idea, so I can focus on
> technicalities.

I have had idea that some people don't like background music. As far as
I have not enough knowledge to do this in an ordinary way I made two
paralel sites: one with music and another without and when someone want
to disable sound he/she is just put on the "muste" site. It is pretty
invisible to average visitor.

>> It woks nice when I
>> enter site from my own computer but there is no sound when it is opened
>> from any other computer.

> We can't test this on any computer, because you did not post a URL.

site URL is www.omega3zona.hr and all linked pages (if you don't press
mute icon).

>> Can you tell me what I did wrong?

> Maybe if you post a URL.
>
>> <embed height="0" width="2"
>> src="http://www.omega3zona.hr/glazba/filename.mid" autostart="true"
>> loop="1" volume="80">

> That won't work anywhere, because there is no resource matching the URL
> http://www.omega3zona.hr/glazba/filename.mid
> (the server responds with 404 Not Found).

file name is yesterday.mid so really is programed is:

<embed height="0" width="2"
src="http://www.omega3zona.hr/glazba/yesterday.mid" autostart="true"
loop="1" volume="80">

> When I used my magical powers to find out URLs of recordings that you
> have actually used, I found no problem in making them work on a web page
> using the correct URLs.

http://www.omega3zona.hr/glazba/yesterday.mid

> If _some_ of the MIDIs don't work, maybe there's some data error in
> them. Then you could contact the producers, which you must know,
> directly or indirectly, as you have got the permissions from the
> copyright owners to use their music. (Haven't you?)

I have no idea? I didn't ask for permision.

Darko Ercegovic

Hi Dorayme,

Thank you for your answer. I agree with you. As I have replied to Jukka,
I gave an option to disable sound:

"I have had idea that some people don't like background music. As far as
I have not enough knowledge to do this in an ordinary way I made two
parallel sites: one with music and another without. When someone want
to disable sound and press mute icon, he/she is just redirected to the
same page on the "mute" site. It is pretty invisible to average visitor."

I don't insist to have this music in the background but I am curious
what I did wrong.

Regards

Darko

On 11.7.2011. 2:04, dorayme wrote:
> In article <ivd9cf$371$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Darko Ercegovic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I made my web site and put background music there. It woks nice when I
>> enter site from my own computer but there is no sound when it is opened
>> from any other computer.
>>
>> Can you tell me what I did wrong?
>>
>> <embed height="0" width="2"
>> src="http://www.omega3zona.hr/glazba/filename.mid" autostart="true"
>> loop="1" volume="80">

> Instead, put the following link:
>
> http://www.omega3zona.hr/glazba/
>
> with a *prominent* note saying to open it in a new tab and to
> select a tune and keep the tab in the browser while you browse
> other tabs. Add for the sophisticated background music listener
> that if he or she opens as many tabs as there are midi tunes in
> your collection, he or she can have them all playing at once in
> the background.
>
> Consider adding various other midi tunes so that folk can compose
> their own eclectic choruses.
>
> Most films and documentaries have some some idiot lay down
> totally inappropriate music to blare or tinkle in the background,
> inappropriate mostly because no music is the most appropriate of
> all. It happens with otherwise good films and documentaries.
>
> Latest for me was the Australian national broadcaster's doco on
> refugee boats. One of the saddest (because potentially so good)
> from a while ago was Ken Burns's series on the American Civil
> War. Ruined by the idiot let loose from the music department.
>
> As for movies, don't get me going. There was a terrific battle at
> the beginning of Gladiator with tons of super loud bangs and
> whirrings and other sounds of battle. But no, this was not enough
> for the idiot director or the music director. There had to be
> some idiot loud music to compete with the rest!

Darko Ercegovic

OK, I can put an option to start music manually if someone wants to
listen, not to be started by default. Probably it will be better idea.
But, as I already mentioned here, it is not the main problem for me. The
problem is why it doesn't work.

Darko

2011-07-11 13:43, Darko Ercegovic wrote:

> Let try to answer your dillemas:

I don't think it's me who has dilemmas here.

>> Others have explained why it's probably a bad idea, so I can focus on
>> technicalities.

> I have had idea that some people don't like background music.

Are you saying that you didn't read the helpful explanations? OK, here's
a short version, a personal one in order to be concrete. When I play
bridge on the net, I usually don't bother listening the optional flips
of cards or the music offered by the BBO server. Rather, I listen to
music on my computer, or sometimes online radio, or I keep the door open
and listen to birds when available. Now would you expect me to want to
music of _your_ taste jump into my ears when I, sitting as a dummy or
waiting for the next game to start, surf around web pages? If the answer
is not crystal clear, think about sitting in a concert and getting
disturbed by some sudden noise, with the excuse that I can switch it off
(if I guess correctly how to do that).

> As far as
> I have not enough knowledge to do this in an ordinary way I made two
> paralel sites: one with music and another without

It might be interesting to measure their relative popularity, e.g. using
normal A/B testing.

> and when someone want
> to disable sound he/she is just put on the "muste" site.

It's easier to click on the "Back" button of the browser.

> site URL is www.omega3zona.hr and all linked pages (if you don't press
> mute icon).

So what _is_ the problem? The page opens with music starting (after a
short delay), both on Firefox and on IE. Did you perhaps test with
computers with sounds muted?

>> If _some_ of the MIDIs don't work, maybe there's some data error in
>> them. Then you could contact the producers, which you must know,
>> directly or indirectly, as you have got the permissions from the
>> copyright owners to use their music. (Haven't you?)

> I have no idea? I didn't ask for permision.

Then you should immediately take the music away. If you are lucky, the
search engines of music companies have not yet detected your crime.

To put music on a web page, you need permissions from all people who
made a creative contribution to the music or played it and from the
companies that recorded it. Normally the music company, or a national
organization of copyright holders, is capable of granting you the
rights, as they have got the rights from the authors. But they will
hardly do that without getting some money from you.

And remember that just because someone uploaded some music onto Youtube
doesn't make it legal, and it doesn't make it legal to you to put that
music on your web page.

--

On 11.7.2011. 13:24, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> 2011-07-11 13:43, Darko Ercegovic wrote:
>
>> Let try to answer your dillemas:

> I don't think it's me who has dilemmas here.
>
>>> Others have explained why it's probably a bad idea, so I can focus on
>>> technicalities.

>> I have had idea that some people don't like background music.

> Are you saying that you didn't read the helpful explanations? OK, here's
> a short version, a personal one in order to be concrete. When I play
> bridge on the net, I usually don't bother listening the optional flips
> of cards or the music offered by the BBO server. Rather, I listen to
> music on my computer, or sometimes online radio, or I keep the door open
> and listen to birds when available. Now would you expect me to want to
> music of _your_ taste jump into my ears when I, sitting as a dummy or
> waiting for the next game to start, surf around web pages? If the answer
> is not crystal clear, think about sitting in a concert and getting
> disturbed by some sudden noise, with the excuse that I can switch it off
> (if I guess correctly how to do that).

Look, you are right about cases you were mentioned. But if you have in
your mind that my web site is dedicated to people who have cancer and
that there are lot of information about what person can do when he/she
has some form of this disease then, I believe, he/she will carefully
read what is written on the site, or will not read it at all. So, this
web site is not for the person who is looking for a fun. On the other
hand when someone is deadly ill it can be helpful to listen some nice
music themes, just to help become more calm. That is how I look at this
situation.

>> As far as
>> I have not enough knowledge to do this in an ordinary way I made two
>> paralel sites: one with music and another without

> It might be interesting to measure their relative popularity, e.g. using
> normal A/B testing.

I agree.

>> and when someone want
>> to disable sound he/she is just put on the "muste" site.

> It's easier to click on the "Back" button of the browser.
>
>> site URL is www.omega3zona.hr and all linked pages (if you don't press
>> mute icon).

> So what _is_ the problem? The page opens with music starting (after a
> short delay), both on Firefox and on IE. Did you perhaps test with
> computers with sounds muted?

I tried to reach my web site from my own computer and it worked
correctly every time it tried. But when I asked my friend to see my web
from his home, he told me that he didn't hear anything. After that I
checked my web site from few other computers and no one played music.

>>> If _some_ of the MIDIs don't work, maybe there's some data error in
>>> them. Then you could contact the producers, which you must know,
>>> directly or indirectly, as you have got the permissions from the
>>> copyright owners to use their music. (Haven't you?)

>> I have no idea? I didn't ask for permision.

> Then you should immediately take the music away. If you are lucky, the
> search engines of music companies have not yet detected your crime.
>
> To put music on a web page, you need permissions from all people who
> made a creative contribution to the music or played it and from the
> companies that recorded it. Normally the music company, or a national
> organization of copyright holders, is capable of granting you the
> rights, as they have got the rights from the authors. But they will
> hardly do that without getting some money from you.
>
> And remember that just because someone uploaded some music onto Youtube
> doesn't make it legal, and it doesn't make it legal to you to put that
> music on your web page.

Thanks for your warning.

Darko Ercegovic

On 11.7.2011. 17:45, Darko Ercegovic wrote:
> On 11.7.2011. 13:24, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

>> To put music on a web page, you need permissions from all people who
>> made a creative contribution to the music or played it and from the
>> companies that recorded it. Normally the music company, or a national
>> organization of copyright holders, is capable of granting you the
>> rights, as they have got the rights from the authors. But they will
>> hardly do that without getting some money from you.
>>
>> And remember that just because someone uploaded some music onto Youtube
>> doesn't make it legal, and it doesn't make it legal to you to put that
>> music on your web page.

> Thanks for your warning.

I have picked midi files for my web site from:

http://www.electrofresh.com/

Do you still think I must erase music from my web site?