Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Why no 28-300/18-200 lenses with lower f-stop?

Why no 28-300/18-200 lenses with lower f-stop?

John Turco

Robert Coe wrote:

> : On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 17:54:20 -0500, John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : > Michael Benveniste wrote:
> : >
> : > > On 7/14/2011 10:02 AM, Bruce wrote:
> : > >
> : > > I agree, it is the worst feature of the 75-150mm. However, it doesn't
> : > > affect the Nikon 70-210mm f/4 Series E, when it might be expected to.
> : > > I have a well-used AI converted 80-200mm f/4.5 Nikkor and the zoom
> : > > creep is nowhere near as bad as the 75-150mm E, plus the overall build
> : > > quality is in a different league.
> : >
> : > The 70-210mm suffers from zoom creep as well, but why Nikon chose to
> : > use the felt strip approach on some lenses and not on others I can't
> : > even begin to speculate. The point is that Nikon _did_ use this
> : > approach for both Nikkors and non-Nikkors, and the competing but
> : > similar portrait zooms from did not.
> : >
> : > I can't speak to the non-AI copy you claim to have, but it's irrelevant.
> : > Nikon totally redesigned the lens in 1977, including a new optical
> : > formula, and used felt strips in the new design.
> : >
> : > > I have a long history of contact with two Nikon designers, one going
> : > > back to the 1970s, who have been clear as to how the Series E project
> : > > was managed.
> : >
> : > Ah yes, the "appeal to anonymous authority" fallacy. How very typical.
> : >
> : > > Let us not forget that the whole point of Series E was to produce
> : > > optically good but inexpensive lenses. Kino Precision was never
> : > > a cheap manufacturer, and not a company with which Nikon has had
> : > > extensive dealings in any case.
> : >
> : > Kino did provably produce lenses for other budget manufacturers,
> : > including Vivitar. Whether Nikon had dealings or not merely assumes
> : > your conclusion, and like Tokina, Kino was founded by former Nikon
> : > engineers.
> : >
> : > To quote one Tony Polson from rec.photo.equipment.35mm, "The lens
> : > was made for Nikon by Kino Precision of Japan, who also made some
> : > outstanding optics for Vivitar, as well as their own Kiron range."
> :
> : <edited for brevity>
> :
> : "Bruce" and "Tony Polson" are the same poster!
>
> Yes!! You apprehended Michael's point. Well done!
>
> Bob

I'd suspected as much, but...that hardly means >everybody< is aware
of this fact.

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> That is pure math, a 300mm f:2.

And only works when you're not using a tele lens (which is
shorter than it's focal length).

> Nikon did make a special order 300/2
> that used a 160mm filter, so about 6% bigger in diameter than math to
> compensate for light loss.

I doubt that that was for light loss. After all, f/stop is
geometry and bokeh, and t-stop is light passage (and can be
quite different --- just introduce an ND filter into the system
and see how the t-stop rises while the f/stop stays where it is.
Another example are mirror lenses.)

-Wolfgang