Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > what is quality ram?

what is quality ram?

nospam

Given the same nominal specs, is some RAM better quality than other
RAM? If so, why is it better?

Gordon

On 2011-07-09, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Given the same nominal specs, is some RAM better quality than other
> RAM? If so, why is it better?

Roger, is that you

Donchano

On 9 Jul 2011 05:33:43 GMT, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from
the highest rooftop:

>On 2011-07-09, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Given the same nominal specs, is some RAM better quality than other
>> RAM? If so, why is it better?

>Roger, is that you

"What's in a name? That which we call Roger by any other name would
smell as Rogerish."

nospam

On 9 Jul 2011 05:33:43 GMT, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2011-07-09, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Given the same nominal specs, is some RAM better quality than other
>> RAM? If so, why is it better?

>Roger, is that you

Like hell. I really want to know.

You don't have an answer right?

As far as I can tell, RAM either works or it doesn't. How many
different ways can there be of making RAM?

Enkidu

On 09/07/11 16:56, nospam wrote:

> Given the same nominal specs, is some RAM better quality than other
> RAM? If so, why is it better?

Just google it.

http://www.icelandicsheepworld.com/rams.htm

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

nospam

On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 17:55:39 +1200, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 09/07/11 16:56, nospam wrote:
> >
>> Given the same nominal specs, is some RAM better quality than other
>> RAM? If so, why is it better?
> >

>Just google it.

I did google it. I got this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_technology

Enkidu

On 09/07/11 17:58, nospam wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 17:55:39 +1200, Enkidu<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On 09/07/11 16:56, nospam wrote:
>>>
>>> Given the same nominal specs, is some RAM better quality than other
>>> RAM? If so, why is it better?
>>>

>> Just google it.
>>

> I did google it. I got this.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_technology

Ho. Got me.

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Frank Williams

On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 17:51:47 +1200, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 9 Jul 2011 05:33:43 GMT, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On 2011-07-09, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Given the same nominal specs, is some RAM better quality than other
>>> RAM? If so, why is it better?

>>Roger, is that you

>Like hell. I really want to know.
>
>You don't have an answer right?
>
>As far as I can tell, RAM either works or it doesn't. How many
>different ways can there be of making RAM?

Some MoBos are not compatible with some types of Ram.

But they should list compatible ram..

Frank Williams

On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 16:56:34 +1200, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Given the same nominal specs, is some RAM better quality than other
>RAM? If so, why is it better?

Speed, CAS latency, Brand, heat sinks, warrantee, etc.

Like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency

IE CL, tRCD, tRP. speeds.

Richard

On 7/9/2011 4:56 PM, nospam wrote:
> Given the same nominal specs, is some RAM better quality than other
> RAM? If so, why is it better?

many times have found that the cheaper ones will work sweet as when the
only pair, but load up more slots and then things start to flake out.
Yet they are all fine on their own and operating within what the board
should be able to do.

Now that things are going tripple channel and only giving you 3 slots to
run that way I dont know how much longer it will be a problem. Perhaps
when boards start to have 6 slots to go to 24 gigs easily then it may be
an issue, but certainly all the 8/12 gig machines with 2 or 3 4 gig
sticks have been fine with the cheapest of ram.