Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Last Week at Yosemite

Re: Last Week at Yosemite

David Ruether

"Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message news:
201107072334127987-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom:

> Last week I took a few days to drive across to the mountains to see
> what was happening up in the Sierras & Yosemite, as this Winter we had
> the deepest snow pack in 40 years up there. So with the snow melt the
> valley and all of the waterfalls were spectacular.
>
> Also driving in the higher elevations over Tioga Pass, we still had a
> fair amount of snow on the ground and frozen lakes, in 75º Temps.
>
> Some of the usual suspects:
> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9246cw.jpg >
> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9264w.jpg >
> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9343w.jpg >
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

V-E-R-Y NICE!
Seems lately that when I tried to get into Yosemite
the roads still had about 25' of snow on them, darn...
OK, I can't help bragging (although now I need two canes
to walk up slight inclines...), but back in my (MUCH!)
younger days, I climbed to the top of Yosemite Falls(!!!).
OK, more bragging: I also climbed down to Phantom Ranch
at the bottom of Grand Canyon (and back up.... Sigh...!
--DR

PeterN

On 7/8/2011 5:17 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2011-07-08 14:00:36 -0700, "David Ruether" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>

>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message news:
>> 201107072334127987-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom:
>>
>>> Last week I took a few days to drive across to the mountains to see
>>> what was happening up in the Sierras & Yosemite, as this Winter we had
>>> the deepest snow pack in 40 years up there. So with the snow melt the
>>> valley and all of the waterfalls were spectacular.
>>>
>>> Also driving in the higher elevations over Tioga Pass, we still had a
>>> fair amount of snow on the ground and frozen lakes, in 75º Temps.
>>>
>>> Some of the usual suspects:
>>> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9246cw.jpg >
>>> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9264w.jpg >
>>> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9343w.jpg >
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Savageduck

>> V-E-R-Y NICE!
>> Seems lately that when I tried to get into Yosemite
>> the roads still had about 25' of snow on them, darn...
>> OK, I can't help bragging (although now I need two canes
>> to walk up slight inclines...), but back in my (MUCH!)
>> younger days, I climbed to the top of Yosemite Falls(!!!).
>> OK, more bragging: I also climbed down to Phantom Ranch
>> at the bottom of Grand Canyon (and back up.... Sigh...!
>> --DR

> Yup! the fitness of youth.
> sigh!

Agreed. In my very much younger days I did that in one day, with just
six oranges in a hip pack. 2/3 of the way up I came across some guy who
was wiped and gave him my last orange.

--
Peter

David Ruether

"PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:
4e179b9f$0$12452$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com:
> On 7/8/2011 5:17 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> > On 2011-07-08 14:00:36 -0700, "David Ruether" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
> >> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message news:
> >> 201107072334127987-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom:

> >> V-E-R-Y NICE!
> >> Seems lately that when I tried to get into Yosemite
> >> the roads still had about 25' of snow on them, darn...
> >> OK, I can't help bragging (although now I need two canes
> >> to walk up slight inclines...), but back in my (MUCH!)
> >> younger days, I climbed to the top of Yosemite Falls(!!!).
> >> OK, more bragging: I also climbed down to Phantom Ranch
> >> at the bottom of Grand Canyon (and back up.... Sigh...!
> >> --DR

> > Yup! the fitness of youth.
> > sigh!

> Agreed. In my very much younger days I did that in one day, with just
> six oranges in a hip pack. 2/3 of the way up I came across some guy who
> was wiped and gave him my last orange.
>
> --
> Peter

For me, not only did I foolishly not carry any food (and the
quart of orange juice started leaking so I tilted and stashed
the remains behind a rock near the top for the return trip),
but I thought it would be "neat" to take a frame of 8mm movie
film every 15' or so (***S -- L -- O -- W ! ! ! ! trip***,
until I stopped doing that!), and the nails in my old shoes were
poking into my heels. These made the trip down two days, but
I came out in 6 1/2 hours(!!!). I did hear of a rather elderly
woman who took the round trip up and down to Phantom Ranch
every day for her mail(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). YIKES!
--DR