Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon camera window

Canon camera window

Keith

I have a Canon Powershot S1IS and A490. How can I set up the Canon camera
window app "Import Untransferred Images" to automatically select a
destination directory/folder dependant upon the connected model? Going
though "Preferences/Folder Settings" is annoying (and beyond SWMBO's boredom
threshold).

Shawn Hirn

In article <4e17256f$0$2533$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a Canon Powershot S1IS and A490. How can I set up the Canon camera
> window app "Import Untransferred Images" to automatically select a
> destination directory/folder dependant upon the connected model? Going
> though "Preferences/Folder Settings" is annoying (and beyond SWMBO's boredom
> threshold).

Check Canon's web site for assistance. If you don't find the info there,
you can always submit a tech support question to Canon. I can attest
from personal experience that their customer support for digital cameras
is fantastic.

Keith

"Shawn Hirn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2.de...
> In article <4e17256f$0$2533$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have a Canon Powershot S1IS and A490. How can I set up the Canon
>> camera
>> window app "Import Untransferred Images" to automatically select a
>> destination directory/folder dependant upon the connected model? Going
>> though "Preferences/Folder Settings" is annoying (and beyond SWMBO's
>> boredom
>> threshold).

> Check Canon's web site for assistance. If you don't find the info there,
> you can always submit a tech support question to Canon. I can attest
> from personal experience that their customer support for digital cameras
> is fantastic.

Thanks, will do.

Keith

"Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4e19bc08$0$2536$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Shawn Hirn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)2.de...
>> In article <4e17256f$0$2533$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> "Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a Canon Powershot S1IS and A490. How can I set up the Canon
>>> camera
>>> window app "Import Untransferred Images" to automatically select a
>>> destination directory/folder dependant upon the connected model? Going
>>> though "Preferences/Folder Settings" is annoying (and beyond SWMBO's
>>> boredom
>>> threshold).

>> Check Canon's web site for assistance. If you don't find the info there,
>> you can always submit a tech support question to Canon. I can attest
>> from personal experience that their customer support for digital cameras
>> is fantastic.

> Thanks, will do.

Latest response from Canon Support (UK) after suggesting that I was unlikely
to be the only person with two or more Canon DSCs:

"Dear Customer,

Your call has been escalated to the next level, our service technicians
shall endeavour to reply to you within 2 to 3 working days.

Yours sincerely,

Canon Support Centre"

Robert Coe

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 05:13:08 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
: On 2011-07-12 02:31:03 -0700, "Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
:
: >
: > "Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: > news:4e19bc08$0$2536$(E-Mail Removed)...
: >>
: >> "Shawn Hirn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: >> news:(E-Mail Removed)2.de...
: >>> In article <4e17256f$0$2533$(E-Mail Removed)>,
: >>> "Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: >>>
[...]
: So their computer communicated with your computer,

And/or with the computer of their software developer. I don't think Canon does
their own software development; I think they contract it out. I was led to
that conclusion after reporting two serious bugs in Digital Photo
Professional. In one case DPP went through two or three more versions before
they fixed the bug; the other bug was still there the last time I ran any
tests.

Bob

Keith

"Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4e1c146e$0$2492$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4e19bc08$0$2536$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Shawn Hirn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)2.de...

>>> Check Canon's web site for assistance. If you don't find the info there,
>>> you can always submit a tech support question to Canon. I can attest
>>> from personal experience that their customer support for digital cameras
>>> is fantastic.

>> Thanks, will do.

> Latest response from Canon Support (UK) after suggesting that I was
> unlikely to be the only person with two or more Canon DSCs:
>
> "Dear Customer,
>
> Your call has been escalated to the next level, our service technicians
> shall endeavour to reply to you within 2 to 3 working days.
>
> Yours sincerely,
>
> Canon Support Centre"

Canon UK support called me today. It is not possible to have Canon window
select a destination folder based upon camera model/serial number. Canon UK
is purely sales and support. Software development is done elsewhere, The
delay in their response was due to them also checking if their
"Professional" products had the required feature - they do not.

Robert Coe

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 20:04:55 +0100, "Keith"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: "Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:4e1c146e$0$2492$(E-Mail Removed)...
: >
: > "Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: > news:4e19bc08$0$2536$(E-Mail Removed)...
: >>
: >> "Shawn Hirn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: >> news:(E-Mail Removed)2.de...
: >>> In article <4e17256f$0$2533$(E-Mail Removed)>,
: >>> "Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: >>>
[...]

Look in EOS Utility, Preferences, Destination Folder, Customize. Then look at
the customization options out of which the folder name is constructed. One of
them is "Camera Body No."; another is "Camera Model". Unless the camera model
you're dealing with doesn't keep track of these parameters (or can't be seen
by the EOS Utility), I don't see why this wouldn't do what you want.

Since Canon's EOS cameras do keep track of body and model numbers, and since
the EOS Utility is one of their "professional" products, it would appear that
at least their last statement to you is false.

Bob

simmijoe simmijoe is offline
Junior Member

Thia camera is most likely to appeal to people who have a keen interest in photography. To get the most out of the Powershot S1 IS you will need to dedicate time and effort to understand how to use its many features. With the length of the lens and the range of features the camera is not really aimed at the casual photographer who is looking for an easy to use point and shoot model.

Photography pets