Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Last Week at Yosemite

Re: Last Week at Yosemite

PeterN

On 7/8/2011 1:06 PM, GMAN wrote:
> In article<iv7774$r68$(E-Mail Removed)>, "David Ruether"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>> "PeterN"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:
>> 4e1716c4$0$12452$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com:

>>> We've been talking about it. The problem is that flying is such a PITA.
>>> Last Summer some of my friends took the train to Chitown, rented a van
>>> and went to several of the western National Parks.
>>> --
>>> Peter

>> I've been across the US (NYS - California) several times by car,
>> visiting mostly the western parks, on trips lasting up to three
>> months. More recently, though, a friend and I have taken a couple
>> of trips to that area by flying into Las Vegas and renting a car
>> and making a great loop through the western parks. Not that I
>> don't like Iowa, etc., but the "real" scenery is either in some
>> of the NE or in much of the SE of the US (but DO INCLUDE the
>> Canadian Rockies and the Maritimes if you can! .
>> --DR
>>

> Those of us in the real west, Utah west to the pacific coast, dont consider
> Iowa "west". Did you ever visit Zions? Or Brice Canyon, Or Arches, or Valley
> of The Gods?

They are very high for at least two trips each, on my bucket list.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 7/8/2011 11:20 AM, David Ruether wrote:

> "PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:
> 4e1716c4$0$12452$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com:
>> On 7/8/2011 9:54 AM, Savageduck wrote:

>> Yosemite

>> > Well gas up and hit the road!
>> >
>> > I suspect it would be a mite further for W-Dave, and he would get his
>> > feet wet.

>> We've been talking about it. The problem is that flying is such a PITA.
>> Last Summer some of my friends took the train to Chitown, rented a van
>> and went to several of the western National Parks.
>> --
>> Peter

> I've been across the US (NYS - California) several times by car,
> visiting mostly the western parks, on trips lasting up to three
> months. More recently, though, a friend and I have taken a couple
> of trips to that area by flying into Las Vegas and renting a car
> and making a great loop through the western parks. Not that I
> don't like Iowa, etc., but the "real" scenery is either in some
> of the NE or in much of the SE of the US (but DO INCLUDE the
> Canadian Rockies and the Maritimes if you can! .
> --DR

Have made several trips to the Maritimes. We try to take a lot of four &
five day trips in the North East, especially the Berkshires. Our next is
scheduled for an NECCC event at Amherst MA, and onward to Maine for a
few days. If things go well health wise, we will be in your neck of the
woods in October.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 7/8/2011 8:19 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2011-07-08 17:00:09 -0700, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On 7/8/2011 1:06 PM, GMAN wrote:

>>> Those of us in the real west, Utah west to the pacific coast, dont
>>> consider
>>> Iowa "west". Did you ever visit Zions? Or Brice Canyon, Or Arches, or
>>> Valley
>>> of The Gods?
>>>

>> They are very high for at least two trips each, on my bucket list.

> Zion NP is a must. Then adding Bryce Canyon and the North Rim of the
> Grand Canyon makes for a great triple hit in that region.
> ...and if you are going to visit the North Rim, a detour to LAke Powell
> and a couple of days house boat rental will take you into some canyons
> and hidden nooks & crannies which can only be reached from the water.
> < http://www.lake-powell-houseboat-ren...-gallery.shtml >
>
> The North rim is very different to the much viewed South rim. Zion is
> just an amazing place which I find so much more appealing than the South
> Rim of the Grand Canyon.
>
> So many places to see, .....
> Some of them again, and again.

thanks for the info. I was at the North rim by Helicopter. That was a
great way to view, but not photograph, the Canyon. (I was too busy
enjoying the views.)

--
Peter

David Ruether

"PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:
4e17a196$0$12484$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com:

> Have made several trips to the Maritimes. We try to take a lot of four &
> five day trips in the North East, especially the Berkshires. Our next is
> scheduled for an NECCC event at Amherst MA, and onward to Maine for a
> few days. If things go well health wise, we will be in your neck of the
> woods in October.
>
> --
> Peter

Contact me if you want, but be forewarned: I just took
some friends from Tucson on a partial tour of the local
state parks, and it took five days to get to Taughannock
Falls, Watkins Glen, Buttermilk, and Robert Treman State
Parks plus Fall Creek Gorge, Ithaca Falls (Cascadilla
Glen was still closed after a rock slide, darn), a dinner
boat cruise on Cayuga Lake, some Cornell flower and herb
gardens and their Plantation areas and Beebe Lake (many
natural-area trails are also on Cornell land). October
*CAN* be a nice time to visit here... Also, be
forewarned that I "travel" relatively slowly now on two
canes (but I can almost keep up....
--DR

PeterN

On 7/9/2011 10:28 AM, David Ruether wrote:

> "PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:
> 4e17a196$0$12484$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com:
>
>> Have made several trips to the Maritimes. We try to take a lot of four &
>> five day trips in the North East, especially the Berkshires. Our next is
>> scheduled for an NECCC event at Amherst MA, and onward to Maine for a
>> few days. If things go well health wise, we will be in your neck of the
>> woods in October.
>>
>> --
>> Peter

> Contact me if you want, but be forewarned: I just took
> some friends from Tucson on a partial tour of the local
> state parks, and it took five days to get to Taughannock
> Falls, Watkins Glen, Buttermilk, and Robert Treman State
> Parks plus Fall Creek Gorge, Ithaca Falls (Cascadilla
> Glen was still closed after a rock slide, darn), a dinner
> boat cruise on Cayuga Lake, some Cornell flower and herb
> gardens and their Plantation areas and Beebe Lake (many
> natural-area trails are also on Cornell land). October
> *CAN* be a nice time to visit here... Also, be
> forewarned that I "travel" relatively slowly now on two
> canes (but I can almost keep up....
> --DR

My wife, who will probably go will not do any hiking. We only see what
can be viewed from the road, unless I find a safe parking spot and leave
her for about an hour.

--
Peter

David Ruether

"PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:
4e187552$0$12468$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com:
> On 7/9/2011 10:28 AM, David Ruether wrote:
> > "PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:
> > 4e17a196$0$12484$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com:

> >> Have made several trips to the Maritimes. We try to take a lot of four &
> >> five day trips in the North East, especially the Berkshires. Our next is
> >> scheduled for an NECCC event at Amherst MA, and onward to Maine for a
> >> few days. If things go well health wise, we will be in your neck of the
> >> woods in October.
> >> --
> >> Peter

> > Contact me if you want, but be forewarned: I just took
> > some friends from Tucson on a partial tour of the local
> > state parks, and it took five days to get to Taughannock
> > Falls, Watkins Glen, Buttermilk, and Robert Treman State
> > Parks plus Fall Creek Gorge, Ithaca Falls (Cascadilla
> > Glen was still closed after a rock slide, darn), a dinner
> > boat cruise on Cayuga Lake, some Cornell flower and herb
> > gardens and their Plantation areas and Beebe Lake (many
> > natural-area trails are also on Cornell land). October
> > *CAN* be a nice time to visit here... Also, be
> > forewarned that I "travel" relatively slowly now on two
> > canes (but I can almost keep up....
> > --DR

> My wife, who will probably go will not do any hiking. We only see what
> can be viewed from the road, unless I find a safe parking spot and leave
> her for about an hour.
> --
> Peter

Both are available. The state parks have gated guarded lots, and
some overlooks or viewpoints that require VERY little walking
(Taughannock Falls, Upper Taughannock Falls, Lower Buttermilk Falls
plus Ithaca Falls and locations on the Cornell campus on weekends).
Most of the other trails with good views are less than an hour to
cover, and are beautiful along the way (Upper Treman especially).
Longer hikes are the amazing Watkins Glen (you walk behind two
waterfalls) and the gorge floor walk to Taughannock Falls (level).
BTW, I forgot to mention earlier, Cornell's bird sanctuary...
--DR

PeterN

On 7/9/2011 11:53 AM, David Ruether wrote:

> "PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:
> 4e187552$0$12468$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com:
>> On 7/9/2011 10:28 AM, David Ruether wrote:
>> > "PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:
>> > 4e17a196$0$12484$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com:

>> four &

>> next is

>> the

>> > Contact me if you want, but be forewarned: I just took
>> > some friends from Tucson on a partial tour of the local
>> > state parks, and it took five days to get to Taughannock
>> > Falls, Watkins Glen, Buttermilk, and Robert Treman State
>> > Parks plus Fall Creek Gorge, Ithaca Falls (Cascadilla
>> > Glen was still closed after a rock slide, darn), a dinner
>> > boat cruise on Cayuga Lake, some Cornell flower and herb
>> > gardens and their Plantation areas and Beebe Lake (many
>> > natural-area trails are also on Cornell land). October
>> > *CAN* be a nice time to visit here... Also, be
>> > forewarned that I "travel" relatively slowly now on two
>> > canes (but I can almost keep up....
>> > --DR

>> My wife, who will probably go will not do any hiking. We only see what
>> can be viewed from the road, unless I find a safe parking spot and leave
>> her for about an hour.
>> --
>> Peter

> Both are available. The state parks have gated guarded lots, and
> some overlooks or viewpoints that require VERY little walking
> (Taughannock Falls, Upper Taughannock Falls, Lower Buttermilk Falls
> plus Ithaca Falls and locations on the Cornell campus on weekends).
> Most of the other trails with good views are less than an hour to
> cover, and are beautiful along the way (Upper Treman especially).
> Longer hikes are the amazing Watkins Glen (you walk behind two
> waterfalls) and the gorge floor walk to Taughannock Falls (level).
> BTW, I forgot to mention earlier, Cornell's bird sanctuary...
> --DR

I have a thing about waterfalls and will let you know if we go.

BTW the meeting at Amherst is an educational bargain. You do not have to
be a member and it is about four hours from your area.

http://www.neccc.org/

--
Peter

David Ruether

"PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:
4e187e89$0$12449$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com:
> On 7/9/2011 11:53 AM, David Ruether wrote:
> > "PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:
> > 4e187552$0$12468$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com:

> >> My wife, who will probably go will not do any hiking. We only see what
> >> can be viewed from the road, unless I find a safe parking spot and leave
> >> her for about an hour.
> >> --
> >> Peter

> > Both are available. The state parks have gated guarded lots, and
> > some overlooks or viewpoints that require VERY little walking
> > (Taughannock Falls, Upper Taughannock Falls, Lower Buttermilk Falls
> > plus Ithaca Falls and locations on the Cornell campus on weekends).
> > Most of the other trails with good views are less than an hour to
> > cover, and are beautiful along the way (Upper Treman especially).
> > Longer hikes are the amazing Watkins Glen (you walk behind two
> > waterfalls) and the gorge floor walk to Taughannock Falls (level).
> > BTW, I forgot to mention earlier, Cornell's bird sanctuary...
> > --DR

> I have a thing about waterfalls and will let you know if we go.
>
> BTW the meeting at Amherst is an educational bargain. You do not have to
> be a member and it is about four hours from your area.
>
> http://www.neccc.org/
>
> --
> Peter

Thanks.