Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > "Wedding Photographer Certificates $10!"

"Wedding Photographer Certificates $10!"

Robert Coe

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 09:22:35 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
: On 2011-07-15 08:39:28 -0700, Allen <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
: > Incidentally, I'm one of those who knew exactly what he wanted to do
: > and stuck with it--started in Chemical Engineering, switched to
: > business admin, then to pre-law, and finally wound up with a Petroleum
: > Engineering degree, so that I had a firm background in banking
: > operations and administration. Along the way I was co-author of a paper
: > sort of on the intersection of Biochemistry and Zoology involving blood
: > chemistry (other than high school biology and a 3-hour survey course in
: > organic chemistry, no background), and never losing my true interest,
: > classical music. Go figure. Someone somehow should be able to make a
: > board game (or computer game) of my career. Oh, I forgot to mention
: > that I took a college course in Photography (taught in the Physics
: > Department).
: > Allen

Sure. Physics departments were hotbeds of innovation. :^) When I was in
college in the 1950s, the one computer course they taught was in the physics
department (although the school's one computer was in the astronomy
department). It was a graduate course, and undergraduates had to get
departmental approval to take it. (No problem, especially since I'd worked as
a programmer the previous summer.)

We used that one computer (an IBM 650) for the first semester. In the second
semester we made seven field trips to MIT (more than a hundred miles each way)
to use one of theirs. It's mind boggling how much things have changed in my
lifetime.

: Petroleum Engineering with only a 3-hour survey course in organic chemistry?
:
: I hated organic chemistry, and the only thing I care to remember with
: any fondness was a remark by a very teutonic prof. who said the
: following,(use the appropriate Germanic accent here) "Esters haff a
: pear shaped smell."

At the most elementary level (which was as far as I ever got), the structural
formulas and graphic depictions used in OC had a logical basis that was
appealing to a computer type like me. Like organic acids always ended in
"COOH", etc.

Bob

Robert Coe

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 10:35:31 -0500, Allen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On 7/16/2011 5:29 AM, PeterN wrote:
: > On 7/15/2011 1:42 PM, Allen wrote:
: >> On 7/15/2011 11:22 AM, Savageduck wrote:
: >> <snip>
: >>> Petroleum Engineering with only a 3-hour survey course in organic
: >>> chemistry?
: >>>
: >> <snip>
: >> Petroleum Engineering isn't concerned with the chemistry of
: >> petroleum--that's left to the ChEs. PetE is concerned with two major
: >> areas: what's happening in the reservoir anywhere from a mile to five
: >> miles down, and how to get the oil out of the reservoir. Incidentally,
: >> when I was in school physical chemistry was a required course, though.
: >> Allen
: >
: > Another memory. In high school physics, organic chemistry, chemical
: > analysis and at least two algebra courses were mandatory.
: >
: A belated reply to Mr. Duck: I should have said (in regard to organic
: chemistry) that there was a continuing emphasis in PetE courses on the
: the properties of the paraffins and olefins--the organic compounds that
: are of great interest to petroleum engineers. No benzene rings in our
: gas tanks!--at least back then.

Until my son was in the eighth grade and had a science-class assignment to
build a model of a molecule, it had never dawned on me that aspirin is based
on a benzene ring.

Bob

otter

On Jul 15, 9:17*am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> On 2011-07-15 06:50:11 -0700, otter <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> >> Why not?
> >> Some 50 years ago at school I learned these things, one of my high
> >> school science projects was to build an electric motor out of junk at
> >> hand. It was all nails, wire, cork bearings, a really weird commutator,
> >> all of which functioned just fine when hooked up to a battery.

> >> ...and then my college education leaned towards the sciences.

> >> My head is still filled with a mass of useless information I was
> >> compelled to absorb all those years ago. I have for example indelibly
> >> imbedded in my brain a mnemonic to assist in my recall of the first 20
> >> elements in the periodic table and their various qualities.

> >> --
> >> Regards,

> >> Savageduck

> > I just wasn't expecting that from a retired cop. *Do you know the
> > mnemonic for the resistor color codes, too?

> That is one I don't know.
>
> Don't build too many preconceived images of the education background of
> all us folks in law enforcement.
> We had quite a few with military backgrounds as graduates from West
> Point with engineering degrees, two graduates from the Naval Post
> Graduate School in Monterey, quite a few from the Defense Language
> Institute.
> I had one guy who worked for me who had a Masters degree in chemical
> engineering.
> There are also quite a few Law school graduates who discover that
> carrying the bags for the boss does not pay the student loans, and they
> can earn far more as a cop than as a junior gofer in a law office.
>
> There are those who just get by with a high school diploma and
> completion of a police or agency academy. However today in California
> many agencies want more than the minimum high school diploma and will
> only accept applicants with at least an associate degree from a
> community college preferably in something such as criminal justice, or
> some other higher education. The old school cop is becoming a thing of
> the past.
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

No offense intended. I'm just impressed that someone with a non-
technical background knows these things.

otter

On Jul 18, 5:08*am, Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 15, 5:25*pm, Joe Makowiec <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On 15 Jul 2011 in rec.photo.digital, Allen wrote:

> > > It's been many decades since I used the resistor color codes. I don't
> > > think it's VIBGYOR (not enough characters, but works for rainbows);
> > > HOMES (fine for Great Lakes), Every Good Boy does Fine, Good Boys Do
> > > Fine Always, FACE, All Cows Eat Grass (great for lines and spaces in
> > > treble and bass clefs and so forth Ad Infinitum. OK, what is it?

> > Same as ROY G BIV with a couple of additions: *BBROYGBVGW, where the
> > initial BB are Black Brown and the last two are Grey White. *Black = 0
> > -> White = 9. *The mnemonics are available on search; several:

> >http://www.hirophysics.com/Labsheet/...odes.html#mnem...

> I heard this rather controversial one, I'm sure there must be others.
>
> Black Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Virgins Greet Whites

Ummm, never heard THAT one. The one I heard was:
Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly

Probably also politically-incorrect these days. I wonder if anyone
builds boards with discrete components anymore.

Robert Coe

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 10:38:42 -0700 (PDT), otter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
[...]
: > --
: > Regards,
: >
: > Savageduck
:
: No offense intended. I'm just impressed that someone with a non-
: technical background knows these things.

Not all cops have non-technical backgrounds. In the city where I work, the PD
has a very capable IT department. And lest you think they're all civilians in
disguise, one of the guys got promoted to sergeant and had to do several
months supervising beat cops before he could return to IT.

Bob

otter

On Jul 24, 4:41*pm, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 10:38:42 -0700 (PDT), otter <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> : On Jul 15, 9:17*am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> : > Don't build too many preconceived images of the education background of
> : > all us folks in law enforcement.
> : > We had quite a few with military backgrounds as graduates from West
> : > Point with engineering degrees, two graduates from the Naval Post
> : > Graduate School in Monterey, quite a few from the Defense Language
> : > Institute.
> : > I had one guy who worked for me who had a Masters degree in chemical
> : > engineering.
> : > There are also quite a few Law school graduates who discover that
> : > carrying the bags for the boss does not pay the student loans, and they
> : > can earn far more as a cop than as a junior gofer in a law office.
> : >
> : > There are those who just get by with a high school diploma and
> : > completion of a police or agency academy. However today in California
> : > many agencies want more than the minimum high school diploma and will
> : > only accept applicants with at least an associate degree from a
> : > community college preferably in something such as criminal justice, or
> : > some other higher education. The old school cop is becoming a thing of
> : > the past.
> : > --
> : > Regards,
> : >
> : > Savageduck
> :
> : No offense intended. *I'm just impressed that someone with a non-
> : technical background knows these things.
>
> Not all cops have non-technical backgrounds. In the city where I work, the PD
> has a very capable IT department. And lest you think they're all civilians in
> disguise, one of the guys got promoted to sergeant and had to do several
> months supervising beat cops before he could return to IT.
>
> Bob

I didn't have the impression that Mr Duck was in the IT department.
Besides, most of the people I know in IT don't really have a clue
about physics or electronics. They are good at what they do
(configuring servers, etc.), but just not that.

John Turco

Savageduck wrote:

> > On 2011-07-24 16:49:25 -0700, otter <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
> >
> >> On Jul 24, 4:41 pm, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<edited for brevity>

> >> Not all cops have non-technical backgrounds. In the city where I work,
> >> the PD has a very capable IT department. And lest you think they're all
> >> civilians in disguise, one of the guys got promoted to sergeant and had
> >> to do several months supervising beat cops before he could return to IT.
> >>
> >> Bob

> > I didn't have the impression that Mr Duck was in the IT department.
> > Besides, most of the people I know in IT don't really have a clue
> > about physics or electronics. They are good at what they do
> > (configuring servers, etc.), but just not that.

> Nope! I never had a thing to do with IT other than bitch about it. We
> had an pompous ass of a Lieutenant who was a department brown nose, and
> had been given the title "Computer Coordinator". He had two civilians
> who worked for him, and he spent most of his career doing nothing but
> write meaningless memos while the lower paid civilians did whatever was
> needed.
>
> I cannot remember him ever doing anything useful.

Every payroll needs some padding, eh?

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>