Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > "Wedding Photographer Certificates $10!"

"Wedding Photographer Certificates $10!"

Jeff R.

"tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> PeterN obviously typed a misspelling of "aperture" and his
> spell-checker replaced his typo with "armature".

Actually, it was "amateur" as opposed to "professional"... but who cares?

--
Jeff R.
armature photograper

...or is that "...grapist"

Jeff R.

> On 2011-07-14 20:36:27 -0700, "Jeff R." <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>> Silly bloody things we remember, yes?

> Yup!
> Just say this quickly;
> H(a) He IiBe BC NOF Ne NaMg Al SiPS ClArK Ca

Yes!
I love that one too.

I especially love the RbSrYZr "word", but I always get lost just before
that, around the NiCuZn bit, which doesn't flow quite so musically.

(Do like the SiPS ClArKCa bit too)

> Now I can also give you one for the twelve cranial nerves, but that
> transcends good taste.
> All I can say is the first letter of each cranial nerve, in the correct
> order, is used to build a piece of not so clean poetry.
> O-O-O-T-T-A-F-V-G-V-A-H
> Easily resolved to;

Easily resolved for you maybe, Kemosabe...

> Olfactory, Optic, Ocular-motor, Trochlear, Trigeminal, Abducens, Facial,
> Vestibulocochlear, Glossopharyngeal, Vagus, Accessory, Hypoglossal

I would share my SI prefixes mnemonic, but its altogether too bloody silly.

TGMk... you know the drill

--
Jeff R.

tony cooper

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 07:17:57 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2011-07-15 06:50:11 -0700, otter <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> Why not?
>>> Some 50 years ago at school I learned these things, one of my high
>>> school science projects was to build an electric motor out of junk at
>>> hand. It was all nails, wire, cork bearings, a really weird commutator,
>>> all of which functioned just fine when hooked up to a battery.
>>>
>>> ...and then my college education leaned towards the sciences.
>>>
>>> My head is still filled with a mass of useless information I was
>>> compelled to absorb all those years ago. I have for example indelibly
>>> imbedded in my brain a mnemonic to assist in my recall of the first 20
>>> elements in the periodic table and their various qualities.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Savageduck

>> I just wasn't expecting that from a retired cop. Do you know the
>> mnemonic for the resistor color codes, too?

>That is one I don't know.
>
>Don't build too many preconceived images of the education background of
>all us folks in law enforcement.
>We had quite a few with military backgrounds as graduates from West
>Point with engineering degrees, two graduates from the Naval Post
>Graduate School in Monterey, quite a few from the Defense Language
>Institute.
>I had one guy who worked for me who had a Masters degree in chemical
>engineering.
>There are also quite a few Law school graduates who discover that
>carrying the bags for the boss does not pay the student loans, and they
>can earn far more as a cop than as a junior gofer in a law office.
>
>There are those who just get by with a high school diploma and
>completion of a police or agency academy. However today in California
>many agencies want more than the minimum high school diploma and will
>only accept applicants with at least an associate degree from a
>community college preferably in something such as criminal justice, or
>some other higher education. The old school cop is becoming a thing of
>the past.

I admire your restraint. If someone would say that they are surprised
that a retired businessman knows some fact about a field that he was
not directly involved with in his career, I would not react as
graciously.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Joe Makowiec

On 15 Jul 2011 in rec.photo.digital, Allen wrote:

> It's been many decades since I used the resistor color codes. I don't
> think it's VIBGYOR (not enough characters, but works for rainbows);
> HOMES (fine for Great Lakes), Every Good Boy does Fine, Good Boys Do
> Fine Always, FACE, All Cows Eat Grass (great for lines and spaces in
> treble and bass clefs and so forth Ad Infinitum. OK, what is it?

Same as ROY G BIV with a couple of additions: BBROYGBVGW, where the
initial BB are Black Brown and the last two are Grey White. Black = 0
-> White = 9. The mnemonics are available on search; several:

http://www.hirophysics.com/Labsheet/...html#mnemonics

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

John Turco

PeterN wrote:

<heavily edited for brevity>

> In too many weddings the bride is in a state of fantasy. She, or her
> parents are hosting a party they cannot afford. get so tied up with
> posed photos, to "preserve memories" of the event that they don not
> enjoy the party. there is fighting over seating, if they forget that
> Uncle Joe and Aunt Mable aren't on speaking terms. etc.

It's zombie-like behavior, induced by stupid social customs (and
perhaps, there should also be "divorce photographers").

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

John Turco

Allen wrote:

> > On 7/13/2011 12:59 PM, tony cooper wrote:
> >> On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 12:43:08 -0400, PeterN wrote:

<edited for brevity>

> >> AFAIK The great Ansel Adams would have been a lousy wedding photographer.
> >> However, many fine photographers I know do weddings in order to eat. They
> >> are just a creative and enthusiastic, if not more so, than the armatures
> >> you referred to. Yes there are event photographers who are just formula
> >> following hacks, but that doesn't all are.

> > The problem with armatures is they are usually wired.

> But some go around in the right circles.
> Allen

Any way you want to "spin" it, Allen.

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

PeterN

On 7/14/2011 11:36 PM, Jeff R. wrote:
> "Savageduck"<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>
>> My head is still filled with a mass of useless information I was compelled
>> to absorb all those years ago. I have for example indelibly imbedded in my
>> brain a mnemonic to assist in my recall of the first 20 elements in the
>> periodic table and their various qualities.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Savageduck

> "May her rest be long and placid;
> Added water to the acid;
> She forgot all we had taught 'er;
> Add the acid to the water!"
>
> ...as a caption to a cartoon of Lucy lying dead, watched over by Charlie
> Brown.
> c.1969
>
> Silly bloody things we remember, yes?
>
> --
> Jeff R.
> (now - where are my damnable car keys?)

Poor little Jimmy, he is here no more.
'cause what he thought was H2O
Was H2SO4

You triggered that one.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 7/15/2011 1:42 PM, Allen wrote:
> On 7/15/2011 11:22 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> <snip>
>> Petroleum Engineering with only a 3-hour survey course in organic
>> chemistry?
>>

> <snip>
> Petroleum Engineering isn't concerned with the chemistry of
> petroleum--that's left to the ChEs. PetE is concerned with two major
> areas: what's happening in the reservoir anywhere from a mile to five
> miles down, and how to get the oil out of the reservoir. Incidentally,
> when I was in school physical chemistry was a required course, though.
> Allen

Another memory. In high school physics, organic chemistry, chemical
analysis and at least two algebra courses were mandatory.

--
Peter

Robert Coe

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 22:28:03 -0400, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
: On 7/14/2011 11:36 PM, Jeff R. wrote:
: > "Savageduck"<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
: > news:2011071419055040194-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom...
: >
: >> My head is still filled with a mass of useless information I was compelled
: >> to absorb all those years ago. I have for example indelibly imbedded in my
: >> brain a mnemonic to assist in my recall of the first 20 elements in the
: >> periodic table and their various qualities.
: >>
: >> --
: >> Regards,
: >>
: >> Savageduck
: >
: > "May her rest be long and placid;
: > Added water to the acid;
: > She forgot all we had taught 'er;
: > Add the acid to the water!"
: >
: > ...as a caption to a cartoon of Lucy lying dead, watched over by Charlie
: > Brown.
: > c.1969
: >
: > Silly bloody things we remember, yes?
: >
: > --
: > Jeff R.
: > (now - where are my damnable car keys?)
:
:
: Poor little Jimmy, he is here no more.
: 'cause what he thought was H2O
: Was H2SO4
:
: You triggered that one.

Or as a book I had as a kid put it, slightly more elegantly:

"Here lies what's left of William Doe;
With us he is no more,
For what he thought was H2O,
Was H2SO4!"

Anybody remember this one?:

"The Ramble twins crab liverish;
Scaly scorpions are good water fish."

Or:

"Oh, be a fine girl; kiss me right now. Smack!"

Bob

Whisky-dave

On Jul 15, 5:25*pm, Joe Makowiec <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 15 Jul 2011 in rec.photo.digital, Allen wrote:
>
> > It's been many decades since I used the resistor color codes. I don't
> > think it's VIBGYOR (not enough characters, but works for rainbows);
> > HOMES (fine for Great Lakes), Every Good Boy does Fine, Good Boys Do
> > Fine Always, FACE, All Cows Eat Grass (great for lines and spaces in
> > treble and bass clefs and so forth Ad Infinitum. OK, what is it?

> Same as ROY G BIV with a couple of additions: *BBROYGBVGW, where the
> initial BB are Black Brown and the last two are Grey White. *Black = 0
> -> White = 9. *The mnemonics are available on search; several:
>
> http://www.hirophysics.com/Labsheet/...odes.html#mnem...

I heard this rather controversial one, I'm sure there must be others.

Black Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Virgins Greet Whites