Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Fuji. So now interchangeable lenses are "luxury?"

Fuji. So now interchangeable lenses are "luxury?"

Robert Coe

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 13:03:55 -0400, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
: On 7/6/2011 12:33 PM, RichA wrote:
: > On Jul 6, 9:58 am, PeterN<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: >> On 7/5/2011 7:47 PM, RichA wrote:
: >>
: >>
: >>
: >>
: >>
: >>
: >>
: >>
: >>
: >>> Pie in the sky, Fuji. Talk is cheap.
: >>
: >>> Reuters:
: >>
: >>> Fujifilm aims to be world No. 3 in cameras
: >>> Mon, Jul 4 2011
: >>
: >>> By Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai
: >>
: >>> OMIYA, Japan (Reuters) - Japan's Fujifilm aims to become the world's
: >>> fourth largest camera maker by next March and the No. 3 manufacturer
: >>> two years later, overtaking first rival Samsung and then Nikon, a
: >>> senior company executive said.
: >>
: >>> Until recently best known for inexpensive models, Fujifilm may also re-
: >>> enter the more lucrative interchangeable lens camera market from which
: >>> it withdrew in 2004, Takeshi Higuchi, head of the company's camera
: >>> division, said in an interview with Reuters on Monday.
: >>
: >>> The launch of a mirrorless camera, which has an electronic viewfinder,
: >>> making it lighter and more compact than a professional-style single-
: >>> lens reflex camera, would be an extension of Fujifilm's effort to move
: >>> upmarket and would put it in direct competition with Sony.
: >>
: >>> Earlier this year it launched the Finepix X100 high-end compact, which
: >>> is made in Japan and sells for about 120,000 yen ($1,480).
: >>
: >>> Higuchi insisted the company would have no problems developing a
: >>> mirrorless camera or the required lenses by itself, denying the
: >>> possibility of another acquisition in the industry.
: >>
: >>> Last week copier and printer maker Ricoh, which also has a compact
: >>> camera division, announced it was buying the Pentax camera business
: >>> from Hoya.
: >>
: >>> Fujifilm, which makes a wide range of products from medical equipment
: >>> to cosmetics, barely broke even on cameras last year, but Higuchi
: >>> plans to pull the business firmly into the black this year with
: >>> production cost cuts and a marketing push that he says will keep unit
: >>> prices higher.
: >>
: >>> "We can do all the important development in-house, so we can use that
: >>> to cut costs, but we don't have a very high-profile brand," Higuchi
: >>> said. "We have debated why that is and the upshot was we should put
: >>> out luxury models and spend more on publicity to build up the brand."
: >>
: >>> In digital still camera unit sales, Fujifilm says it is currently in
: >>> fifth position behind Canon, Sony, Nikon and Samsung, but adds it is
: >>> confident that its plan to boost sales 25 percent to 14 million units
: >>> this financial year will gain it the No. 4 spot.
: >>
: >>> Apart from the Finepix X100, all the company's camera production is
: >>> concentrated in China, but Fujifilm is planning to spread risk by
: >>> starting some production in southeast Asia, said Higuchi, adding that
: >>> Thailand looked promising.
: >>
: >>> "We do feel a risk in China in terms of wages and the high staff
: >>> turnover," Higuchi said. "We will seek a production site outside
: >>> China," he added.
: >>
: >>> A decision will be made on the location by the end of the financial
: >>> year, he said. The firm is also conducting feasibility studies in
: >>> Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippines. Current production levels in
: >>> China will be maintained, he said.
: >>
: >>> ($1 = 80.835 Japanese Yen)
: >>
: >>> (Reporting by Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai; Editing by Edwina
: >>> Gibbs)
: >>
: >> That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
: >> part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/
: >>
: >> Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.
: >>
: >> --
: >> Peter
: >
: > Sorry to make you expend any energy by looking it up on the Reuters
: > site.
:
: Not all of us have the amount of time to waste that you seem to have.

Some might say that pinging Rich with an obscure, idiosyncratic stylistic
quibble was a waste of time. ;^)

Bob

Jim Newman

On 06/07/2011 18:02, PeterN wrote:
> On 7/6/2011 11:27 AM, Irwell wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 09:58:55 -0400, PeterN wrote:

Did you plagiarizer it/

>>> Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully
>>> noted.

>> He does state the report is from Reuters and provides the date
>> and the authors, what more do you want?

> See my response to Bob Coe.

Wow, "PeterN" - a more tedious poster than "RichA" - whodathunkitpossible"?

Oh yes, you don't know the difference between
"Duly noted"
and
"Dully noted".

Noted!

PeterN

On 7/15/2011 9:04 PM, Jim Newman wrote:
> On 06/07/2011 18:02, PeterN wrote:
>> On 7/6/2011 11:27 AM, Irwell wrote:
>>> On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 09:58:55 -0400, PeterN wrote:

> Did you plagiarizer it/

>>> He does state the report is from Reuters and provides the date
>>> and the authors, what more do you want?

>> See my response to Bob Coe.
>>

> Wow, "PeterN" - a more tedious poster than "RichA" - whodathunkitpossible"?
>
> Oh yes, you don't know the difference between
> "Duly noted"
> and
> "Dully noted".
>
> Noted!

then don't respond.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 7/15/2011 3:27 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
> [...]
> :>>
> :>>> (Reporting by Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai; Editing by Edwina
> :>>> Gibbs)
> :>>
> :>> That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
> :>> part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/
> :>>
> :>> Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.
> :>>
> :>> --
> :>> Peter
> :>
> :> Sorry to make you expend any energy by looking it up on the Reuters
> :> site.
> :
> : Not all of us have the amount of time to waste that you seem to have.
>
> Some might say that pinging Rich with an obscure, idiosyncratic stylistic

More an issue of courtesy than style.

--
Peter

Robert Coe

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 06:33:04 -0400, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
: On 7/15/2011 3:27 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
: > Some might say that pinging Rich with an obscure, idiosyncratic stylistic
: > quibble was a waste of time. ;^)
: >
:
: More an issue of courtesy than style.

Wandering far OT, using your insistence on treating this as a courtesy issue
as an excuse, I continue ...

Last night I was watching a rebroadcast of Barack Obama's press conference
earlier in the day, and I couldn't help noticing that while the President was
speaking, you could have heard a pin drop on the carpet. But as soon as one of
the journalists began to ask a question, a cacaphony of camera shutters made
the room sound like a cricket convention on a summer evening. The
photographers were probably warned that they'd be kicked out if they stepped
on Barack's lines with that racket, but they didn't hesitate to be flagrantly
rude to fellow journalists. How tacky is that?

And aside from the discourtesy of such behavior, what's the point? How many
pictures do they think they need of exactly the same scene? I'll admit to
being as compulsive an event photographer as anybody is - I took 700 shots at
a party last weekend - but this is ridiculous. At least at my event the crowd
was milling around; different people came into view; children were throwing
beachballs and catching frogs, while their parents and grandparents took turns
playing country music; etc., etc. But at any press conference, all the
President does is stand at a lectern looking back at the crowd. If he didn't
wear different ties on different occasions, they wouldn't have to take
pictures at all. They could mail in shots from a previous press conference,
and who would know?

Bob

David Ruether

"Robert Coe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 06:33:04 -0400, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> : On 7/15/2011 3:27 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
> : > Some might say that pinging Rich with an obscure, idiosyncratic stylistic
> : > quibble was a waste of time. ;^)

> : More an issue of courtesy than style.

> Wandering far OT, using your insistence on treating this as a courtesy issue
> as an excuse, I continue ...
>
> Last night I was watching a rebroadcast of Barack Obama's press conference
> earlier in the day, and I couldn't help noticing that while the President was
> speaking, you could have heard a pin drop on the carpet. But as soon as one of
> the journalists began to ask a question, a cacaphony of camera shutters made
> the room sound like a cricket convention on a summer evening. The
> photographers were probably warned that they'd be kicked out if they stepped
> on Barack's lines with that racket, but they didn't hesitate to be flagrantly
> rude to fellow journalists. How tacky is that?
>
> And aside from the discourtesy of such behavior, what's the point? How many
> pictures do they think they need of exactly the same scene? I'll admit to
> being as compulsive an event photographer as anybody is - I took 700 shots at
> a party last weekend - but this is ridiculous. At least at my event the crowd
> was milling around; different people came into view; children were throwing
> beachballs and catching frogs, while their parents and grandparents took turns
> playing country music; etc., etc. But at any press conference, all the
> President does is stand at a lectern looking back at the crowd. If he didn't
> wear different ties on different occasions, they wouldn't have to take
> pictures at all. They could mail in shots from a previous press conference,
> and who would know?
>
> Bob

There is a reason why the speaker (President Obama) is at a
lectern with two microphones (since he swaps directions due
to the two teleprompters), with mics that are likely somewhat
directional to minimize pickup of room sound (which is unlikely
to be nonexistent). When things switch to a questioner, even
with a good directional mic being manually pointed, it will
still pick up considerable side audio (if it were too
directional, it would require too-accurate aiming, and it
would be subject to some unfortunate effects from "bounce"
from reflections from within the angle of greatest sensitivity).
The "appearance" of a change in the room sound is there, but it
is less than it would seem as the mic sources are switched.
--DR

Irwell

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 09:53:13 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:
But at any press conference, all the
> President does is stand at a lectern looking back at the crowd. If he didn't
> wear different ties on different occasions, they wouldn't have to take
> pictures at all. They could mail in shots from a previous press conference,
> and who would know?

It's the excitement of waiting for a '**** up', rather like
the yahoos who go to car races waiting for the big crash.

PeterN

On 7/16/2011 9:53 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
< snip>

> And aside from the discourtesy of such behavior, what's the point? How many
> pictures do they think they need of exactly the same scene? I'll admit to
> being as compulsive an event photographer as anybody is - I took 700 shots at
> a party last weekend - but this is ridiculous. At least at my event the crowd
> was milling around; different people came into view; children were throwing
> beachballs and catching frogs, while their parents and grandparents took turns
> playing country music; etc., etc. But at any press conference, all the
> President does is stand at a lectern looking back at the crowd. If he didn't
> wear different ties on different occasions, they wouldn't have to take
> pictures at all. They could mail in shots from a previous press conference,
> and who would know?

They have to prove to their editors that they were there and fairly sober.
Possibly they are waiting, hoping, for a change in his expression.

BTW Mass. weather is great this weekend.

--
Peter

Robert Coe

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 15:19:50 -0700, Irwell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 09:53:13 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:
: But at any press conference, all the
: > President does is stand at a lectern looking back at the crowd. If he
: > didn't wear different ties on different occasions, they wouldn't have
: > to take pictures at all. They could mail in shots from a previous press
: > conference, and who would know?
:
: It's the excitement of waiting for a '**** up', rather like
: the yahoos who go to car races waiting for the big crash.

I'm not fond of the simile. Actually, IMO, the most interesting and exciting
races are those with no crashes to screw up the action. Rather like that NHL
hockey game (Boston vs Tampa) a few weeks ago in which there were no penalties
called.

Bob

PeterN

On 7/17/2011 7:58 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 15:19:50 -0700, Irwell<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 09:53:13 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:
> : But at any press conference, all the
> :> President does is stand at a lectern looking back at the crowd. If he
> :> didn't wear different ties on different occasions, they wouldn't have
> :> to take pictures at all. They could mail in shots from a previous press
> :> conference, and who would know?
> :
> : It's the excitement of waiting for a '**** up', rather like
> : the yahoos who go to car races waiting for the big crash.
>
> I'm not fond of the simile. Actually, IMO, the most interesting and exciting
> races are those with no crashes to screw up the action. Rather like that NHL
> hockey game (Boston vs Tampa) a few weeks ago in which there were no penalties
> called.

While I agree with you co completely on the above, it's a sad commentary
on human nature that when a crowd sees some poor guy on a ledge, they
will yell: "JUMP."

--
Peter