Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Fuji. So now interchangeable lenses are "luxury?"

Fuji. So now interchangeable lenses are "luxury?"

John A.

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 08:27:41 -0700, Irwell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Until recently best known for inexpensive models, Fujifilm may also re-
>>> enter the more lucrative interchangeable lens camera market from which
>>> it withdrew in 2004, Takeshi Higuchi, head of the company's camera
>>> division, said in an interview with Reuters on Monday.
>>>
>>> The launch of a mirrorless camera, which has an electronic viewfinder,
>>> making it lighter and more compact than a professional-style single-
>>> lens reflex camera, would be an extension of Fujifilm's effort to move
>>> upmarket and would put it in direct competition with Sony.
>>>
>>> Earlier this year it launched the Finepix X100 high-end compact, which
>>> is made in Japan and sells for about 120,000 yen ($1,480).
>>>
>>> Higuchi insisted the company would have no problems developing a
>>> mirrorless camera or the required lenses by itself, denying the
>>> possibility of another acquisition in the industry.
>>>
>>> Last week copier and printer maker Ricoh, which also has a compact
>>> camera division, announced it was buying the Pentax camera business
>>> from Hoya.
>>>
>>> Fujifilm, which makes a wide range of products from medical equipment
>>> to cosmetics, barely broke even on cameras last year, but Higuchi
>>> plans to pull the business firmly into the black this year with
>>> production cost cuts and a marketing push that he says will keep unit
>>> prices higher.
>>>
>>> "We can do all the important development in-house, so we can use that
>>> to cut costs, but we don't have a very high-profile brand," Higuchi
>>> said. "We have debated why that is and the upshot was we should put
>>> out luxury models and spend more on publicity to build up the brand."
>>>
>>> In digital still camera unit sales, Fujifilm says it is currently in
>>> fifth position behind Canon, Sony, Nikon and Samsung, but adds it is
>>> confident that its plan to boost sales 25 percent to 14 million units
>>> this financial year will gain it the No. 4 spot.
>>>
>>> Apart from the Finepix X100, all the company's camera production is
>>> concentrated in China, but Fujifilm is planning to spread risk by
>>> starting some production in southeast Asia, said Higuchi, adding that
>>> Thailand looked promising.
>>>
>>> "We do feel a risk in China in terms of wages and the high staff
>>> turnover," Higuchi said. "We will seek a production site outside
>>> China," he added.
>>>
>>> A decision will be made on the location by the end of the financial
>>> year, he said. The firm is also conducting feasibility studies in
>>> Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippines. Current production levels in
>>> China will be maintained, he said.
>>>
>>> ($1 = 80.835 Japanese Yen)
>>>
>>> (Reporting by Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai; Editing by Edwina
>>> Gibbs)

>> That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
>> part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/
>>
>> Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.

>He does state the report is from Reuters and provides the date

Well, he did say it was "dully" noted.

PeterN

On 7/6/2011 1:20 PM, John A. wrote:
> [...]
>>> :> China will be maintained, he said.
>>> :>
>>> :> ($1 = 80.835 Japanese Yen)
>>> :>
>>> :> (Reporting by Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai; Editing by Edwina
>>> :> Gibbs)
>>> :
>>> : That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
>>> : part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/
>>> :
>>> : Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.
>>>
>>> Am I missing something? He said it was from Reuters and included their
>>> dateline and the authors' and editor's names. Isn't that enough?
>>>

>> when quoting all or part of an article I use quotation marks. I also
>> supply a link so the reader can see everything in context.

> Is that according to the Usenet manual of style?

An uncommon thing" Common courtesy and manners.

--
Peter

Irwell

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 13:03:55 -0400, PeterN wrote:

> On 7/6/2011 12:33 PM, RichA wrote:

>>> That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
>>> part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/
>>>
>>> Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter

>> Sorry to make you expend any energy by looking it up on the Reuters
>> site.

> Not all of us have the amount of time to waste that you seem to have.

For ****'s sake you haave wasted five posts on this
topic, be a man and admit you are wrong.

RichA

On Jul 6, 1:03*pm, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 7/6/2011 12:33 PM, RichA wrote:

> > Sorry to make you expend any energy by looking it up on the Reuters
> > site.

> Not all of us have the amount of time to waste that you seem to have.
>
> --
> Peter

Yeah, sure. BTW, the President just called, he needs you,
immediately!

PeterN

On 7/7/2011 10:01 AM, RichA wrote:
> On Jul 6, 1:03 pm, PeterN<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 7/6/2011 12:33 PM, RichA wrote:

>>> Sorry to make you expend any energy by looking it up on the Reuters
>>> site.

>> Not all of us have the amount of time to waste that you seem to have.
>>
>> --
>> Peter

> Yeah, sure. BTW, the President just called, he needs you,
> immediately!

Did you learn that response in kindergarten, or first grade.

--
Peter

Richard

PeterN wrote:
> On 7/7/2011 10:01 AM, RichA wrote:

>>> Not all of us have the amount of time to waste that you seem to
>>> have. --
>>> Peter

>> Yeah, sure. BTW, the President just called, he needs you,
>> immediately!

> Did you learn that response in kindergarten, or first grade.

We are indeed blessed that you don't have time to waste. How much more crap
would you post ?

PeterN

On 7/8/2011 6:16 AM, Richard wrote:
> PeterN wrote:

>>> Yeah, sure. BTW, the President just called, he needs you,
>>> immediately!

>> Did you learn that response in kindergarten, or first grade.

> We are indeed blessed that you don't have time to waste. How much more crap
> would you post ?

And your last meaningful contribution was.....

--
Peter

Richard

On 7/8/2011 8:44 AM, Richard wrote:
> PeterN wrote:

>>> We are indeed blessed that you don't have time to waste. How much
>>> more crap would you post ?
>>>

>> And your last meaningful contribution was.....

> We are indeed blessed that you don't have time to waste. How much more crap
> would you post ?

Genius, brilliant. Let's see any one positive contribution from you.
you may have the last word.

--
Peter

John Turco

Robert Coe wrote:

> : On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 09:58:55 -0400, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)>
> : wrote:
> : > On 7/5/2011 7:47 PM, RichA wrote:
> : > Pie in the sky, Fuji. Talk is cheap.
> : >
> : > Reuters:
> : >
> : > Fujifilm aims to be world No. 3 in cameras
> : > Mon, Jul 4 2011

<heavily edited for brevity>

> : That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
> : part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/
> :
> : Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.
>
> Am I missing something? He said it was from Reuters and included their
> dateline and the authors' and editor's names.

As Peter Newman noted, "RichA" neglected to include a URL to the Reuters
story in question.

Furthermore, he supplied the whole article, instead of excerpts. Nor did
he use quotation marks, anywhere.

> Isn't that enough?
>
> Bob

Definitely not. It was a quick copy-and-paste job, with nary a thought
given to proper posting procedures.

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>