Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Keyboard "skipping"

Keyboard "skipping"

ChrisCoaster

Just restored my HP 6300F pavilion yesterday, and installed all the
updates. Windows Vista 32 SP1.

Now I thought it was my fingers, but this is crazy!! I'm tping like I
norally do ight now, and the keypoard is either not regstering certin
keys or it s puting up the character next t the one I intended to
type!

No corrections follow:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States o America, and to
the Republic r whch it stands, one nation under God, indivsible with
liberty and justice for all.

My country tis of hee sweet landof liberty of thee I sing. Land whre
my fathers died land of the pligrims pride fo every mountainside let
freedom ring.

An suggestions

-hrisCoaster

Paul

ChrisCoaster wrote:
> Just restored my HP 6300F pavilion yesterday, and installed all the
> updates. Windows Vista 32 SP1.
>
> Now I thought it was my fingers, but this is crazy!! I'm tping like I
> norally do ight now, and the keypoard is either not regstering certin
> keys or it s puting up the character next t the one I intended to
> type!
>
> No corrections follow:
>
> I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States o America, and to
> the Republic r whch it stands, one nation under God, indivsible with
> liberty and justice for all.
>
> My country tis of hee sweet landof liberty of thee I sing. Land whre
> my fathers died land of the pligrims pride fo every mountainside let
> freedom ring.
>
> An suggestions
>
> -hrisCoaster

Got another keyboard ?

You can connect multiple keyboards to a computer at the same
time, for testing. Like a PS/2 one and a USB one. Compare
and contrast...

What is your percentage CPU like ? Is the computer busy
for some reason ? Do any other USB devices lag ? Do you
have a running webcam and the keyboard on the same USB stack ?

While it would be fun to pretend there was a keylogger
running on your machine, it wouldn't be very useful if
it corrupted the input

Keyboards use the "scan matrix" concept. Keys are arranged in
rows and columns (like maybe a 7x17 matrix), and the matrix
doesn't "align" to the key layout. The keyboard is wired in
what appears to be a relatively random way. If a scan wire
in the keyboard goes bad, you should see *consistent* errors
on certain specific keys. Such as key repeats only on
certain keys. Or certain keys not working at all. But your
symptoms above, almost look like a power problem. And how
likely is that ?

Paul

ChrisCoaster

On Jul 3, 2:39*pm, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ChrisCoasterwrote:
> > Just restored my HP 6300F pavilion yesterday, and installed all the
> > updates. *Windows Vista 32 SP1.

> > Now I thought it was my fingers, but this is crazy!! *I'm tping like I
> > norally do ight now, and the keypoard is either not regstering certin
> > keys or it s puting up the character next t the one I intended to
> > type!

> > No corrections follow:

> > I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States o America, and to
> > the Republic r whch it stands, one nation under God, indivsible with
> > liberty and justice for all.

> > My country tis of hee sweet landof liberty of thee I sing. *Land whre
> > my fathers died land of the pligrims pride fo every mountainside let
> > freedom ring.

> > An suggestions

> > -hrisCoaster

> Got another keyboard ?
>
> You can connect multiple keyboards to a computer at the same
> time, for testing. Like a PS/2 one and a USB one. Compare
> and contrast...
>
> What is your percentage CPU like ? Is the computer busy
> for some reason ? Do any other USB devices lag ? Do you
> have a running webcam and the keyboard on the same USB stack ?
>
> While it would be fun to pretend there was a keylogger
> running on your machine, it wouldn't be very useful if
> it corrupted the input
>
> Keyboards use the "scan matrix" concept. Keys are arranged in
> rows and columns (like maybe a 7x17 matrix), and the matrix
> doesn't "align" to the key layout. The keyboard is wired in
> what appears to be a relatively random way. If a scan wire
> in the keyboard goes bad, you should see *consistent* errors
> on certain specific keys. Such as key repeats only on
> certain keys. Or certain keys not working at all. But your
> symptoms above, almost look like a power problem. And how
> likely is that ?
>
> * * Paul- Hide quoted text -

____________________
CPU is at 5-10%, 60% "maximum frequency"(whadeverthephuqethadis!)

No webcams instaled.

The only hting we have to fear is fear itself - Franklin elano
Roosevelt

-CC

ChrisCoaster

On Jul 3, 8:35*pm, ChrisCoaster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 3, 2:39*pm, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > ChrisCoasterwrote:
> > > Just restored my HP 6300F pavilion yesterday, and installed all the
> > > updates. *Windows Vista 32 SP1.

> > > Now I thought it was my fingers, but this is crazy!! *I'm tping like I
> > > norally do ight now, and the keypoard is either not regstering certin
> > > keys or it s puting up the character next t the one I intended to
> > > type!

> > > No corrections follow:

> > > I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States o America, and to
> > > the Republic r whch it stands, one nation under God, indivsible with
> > > liberty and justice for all.

> > > My country tis of hee sweet landof liberty of thee I sing. *Land whre
> > > my fathers died land of the pligrims pride fo every mountainside let
> > > freedom ring.

> > > An suggestions

> > > -hrisCoaster

> > Got another keyboard ?

> > You can connect multiple keyboards to a computer at the same
> > time, for testing. Like a PS/2 one and a USB one. Compare
> > and contrast...

> > What is your percentage CPU like ? Is the computer busy
> > for some reason ? Do any other USB devices lag ? Do you
> > have a running webcam and the keyboard on the same USB stack ?

> > While it would be fun to pretend there was a keylogger
> > running on your machine, it wouldn't be very useful if
> > it corrupted the input

> > Keyboards use the "scan matrix" concept. Keys are arranged in
> > rows and columns (like maybe a 7x17 matrix), and the matrix
> > doesn't "align" to the key layout. The keyboard is wired in
> > what appears to be a relatively random way. If a scan wire
> > in the keyboard goes bad, you should see *consistent* errors
> > on certain specific keys. Such as key repeats only on
> > certain keys. Or certain keys not working at all. But your
> > symptoms above, almost look like a power problem. And how
> > likely is that ?

> > * * Paul- Hide quoted text -

> ____________________
> CPU is at 5-10%, 60% "maximum frequency"(whadeverthephuqethadis!)
>
> No webcams instaled.
>
> The only hting we have to fear is fear itself - Franklin elano
> Roosevelt
>
> -CC- Hide quoted text -

_______________________
TW the mouse works just fine. And Paul - I never heard of USB being
sluggish compared to PS2! Always thought it was the ther way rond.

-CC

ChrisCoaster

On Jul 3, 2:39*pm, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> * * Paul- Hide quoted text -

__________________________________
The alphabet - NO backspacing fr correctins:

abcdefghijklmnopqurstuvwxyz

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

abcefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Paul:

I removed about 2/3 o the alphabet, both shift keys, space bar, and
enter, and most of the numeric keypad to the right.

I blew out about a 1/4 inch of hairs, dust, and ctumbs insdie the
keyboad, and q-tiped it lean with Windex. The keys seem to respond
quicker to strokes, but arent' always registering.

James D Andrews

ChrisCoaster was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:
> Just restored my HP 6300F pavilion yesterday, and installed all the
> updates. Windows Vista 32 SP1.
>
> Now I thought it was my fingers, but this is crazy!! I'm tping like I
> norally do ight now, and the keypoard is either not regstering certin
> keys or it s puting up the character next t the one I intended to
> type!
>
> No corrections follow:
>
> I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States o America, and to
> the Republic r whch it stands, one nation under God, indivsible with
> liberty and justice for all.
>
> My country tis of hee sweet landof liberty of thee I sing. Land whre
> my fathers died land of the pligrims pride fo every mountainside let
> freedom ring.
>
> An suggestions
>
> -hrisCoaster

You don't mention whether it is a USB or PS/2 keyboard, wired or
wireless. That makes a difference.

First off, did you check the Keyboard Properties? (In the Control
Panel?)

Personally, maybe just because I'm stuck in the 20th Century, I prefer
the wired PS/2 keyboards & mouses (mice?). (I only this year got rid
of an old AT-style spare)

Like anything, USB is a limited load. Too much in use can slow it
down.

Is it wireless? Local signal interference in the associated frequency
range could possibly disrupt transmissions. Possibly - but that's
probably not the problem.

Keyboard could be malfunctioning. Despite the abuse they stand up to,
eventually keyboards can wear out. The usual solution is buy a new one
(or a used one). You can always get a backup or spare at Wally World
for under $10 ($6 for USB, $8 for PS/2).

--
-There are some who call me...
Jim

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

ChrisCoaster

On Jul 4, 10:44*am, James D Andrews <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ChrisCoaster was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:
>

> > Just restored my HP 6300F pavilion yesterday, and installed all the
> > updates. *Windows Vista 32 SP1.

> > Now I thought it was my fingers, but this is crazy!! *I'm tping like I
> > norally do ight now, and the keypoard is either not regstering certin
> > keys or it s puting up the character next t the one I intended to
> > type!

> > No corrections follow:

> > I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States o America, and to
> > the Republic r whch it stands, one nation under God, indivsible with
> > liberty and justice for all.

> > My country tis of hee sweet landof liberty of thee I sing. *Land whre
> > my fathers died land of the pligrims pride fo every mountainside let
> > freedom ring.

> > An suggestions

> > -hrisCoaster

> You don't mention whether it is a USB or PS/2 keyboard, wired or
> wireless. *That makes a difference.
>
> First off, did you check the Keyboard Properties? *(In the Control
> Panel?)
>
> Personally, maybe just because I'm stuck in the 20th Century, I prefer
> the wired PS/2 keyboards & mouses (mice?). *(I only this year got rid
> of an old AT-style spare)
>
> Like anything, USB is a limited load. *Too much in use can slow it
> down.
>
> Is it wireless? *Local signal interference in the associated frequency
> range could possibly disrupt transmissions. *Possibly - but that's
> probably not the problem.
>
> Keyboard could be malfunctioning. *Despite the abuse they stand up to,
> eventually keyboards can wear out. *The usual solution is buy a new one
> (or a used one). *You can always get a backup or spare at Wally World
> for under $10 ($6 for USB, $8 for PS/2).
>
> --
> -There are some who call me...
> Jim
>
> "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
> - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)- Hide quoted text -

_________________
PS2.

James D Andrews

ChrisCoaster embroidered on the monitor :
> On Jul 4, 10:44*am, James D Andrews <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> ChrisCoaster was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:
>>

>>> Just restored my HP 6300F pavilion yesterday, and installed all the
>>> updates. *Windows Vista 32 SP1.

>>> Now I thought it was my fingers, but this is crazy!! *I'm tping like I
>>> norally do ight now, and the keypoard is either not regstering certin
>>> keys or it s puting up the character next t the one I intended to
>>> type!

snip

>> You don't mention whether it is a USB or PS/2 keyboard, wired or
>> wireless. *That makes a difference.
>>

>> Jim

> _________________
> PS2.

Probably time to break down and get a new keyboard then. Sorry.
I just saw Geeks.com has a really cool looking illuminated keyboard for
$13.99

--
-There are some who call me...
Jim

It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road,
and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be
swept off to.
-Samwise Gamgee quoting Bilbo Baggins, edited

totfit

On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 13:34:32 -0500, James D Andrews
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>ChrisCoaster embroidered on the monitor :
>> On Jul 4, 10:44*am, James D Andrews <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> ChrisCoaster was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:

>snip
>
>>> You don't mention whether it is a USB or PS/2 keyboard, wired or
>>> wireless. *That makes a difference.
>>>

>>> Jim

>> _________________
>> PS2.

>Probably time to break down and get a new keyboard then. Sorry.
>I just saw Geeks.com has a really cool looking illuminated keyboard for
>$13.99

It is likely not an issue with the keyboard. Possibly, but there are
other things also. Do you have a know good keyboard? Also, look in the
device manager and see what it says for this device (however it is
connected.

ChrisCoaster

On Jul 4, 4:38*pm, totfit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 13:34:32 -0500, James D Andrews
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >ChrisCoaster embroidered on the monitor :

> >snip

> >> _________________
> >> PS2.

> >Probably time to break down and get a new keyboard then. *Sorry.
> >I just saw Geeks.com has a really cool looking illuminated keyboard for
> >$13.99 *

> It is likely not an issue with the keyboard. Possibly, but there are
> other things also. Do you have a know good keyboard? Also, look in the
> device manager and see what it says for this device (however it is
> connected.- Hide quoted text -

___________________________

I refer you to one of the other recent ChrisCoaster threads on here:
two weeks ago my HP 6300f pavilion suffered blunt trauma and the
harddrive had to be relaced. I ran the HP recovery discs friday night
ito saturday morning, which sent my PC back to 2006(the launch year f
Vista/Vista Home Premium/etc.)

Since thene, Windows has been downoading and installing a thouand
updates, sometines running in the background. If this doesn't have
something to do with my keyboard than nothing else does!

Additionally - and this warrants a separate thread - for those of you
reading this who have Norton 2007 or later, openyour main Norton
systray icon and look towar the bttom. Under the home tab is a
scetion called identigty. The sub item is "phishing protection". it
is CONSTANTLY TURNING ITSELF THE F#$K OFF!! This did not happen
before the disaster necessitating the new harddrive and recovery.

-ChrisCoaster