Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Unattainable nifty items...

Unattainable nifty items...

~misfit~

I've founda few things on teh intarwebs in my time that have been either
very hard or impossible to (practically) get in this little corner of the
world.

Last week I was getting mighty frustrated with the tangle of wires going to
the half-dozen laptop power bricks next to my desk / 'work area'. I dreamed
of a world where I wouldn't need all of that extra, unnecessary cabling and
found the perfect thing! An adapter that does away with the cable between
the power point and the power brick:

http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1309651117.jpg

Now, I might have to space them two sockets apart on a power strip but
still, that would be great! However, on contacting the company in China for
a local supplier I'm told there isn't one but I'm welcome to buy wholesale
from the factory at ~90c US per item! Wooohooo! I figured I'd have me a
couple of dozen of those as I know friends who could use one too.

Then I got hit with the MOQ.... 5,000 units plus $200 shipping.

Oh well, it looks like I'll be putting up with the spaghetti tangle of
cables for the foreseeable future.
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Peter Huebner

In article <iuobdv$sq7$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...

> I've founda few things on teh intarwebs in my time that have been either
> very hard or impossible to (practically) get in this little corner of the
> world.
>
> Last week I was getting mighty frustrated with the tangle of wires going to
> the half-dozen laptop power bricks next to my desk / 'work area'. I dreamed
> of a world where I wouldn't need all of that extra, unnecessary cabling and
> found the perfect thing! An adapter that does away with the cable between
> the power point and the power brick:
>
> http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1309651117.jpg
>
> Now, I might have to space them two sockets apart on a power strip but
> still, that would be great! However, on contacting the company in China for
> a local supplier I'm told there isn't one but I'm welcome to buy wholesale
> from the factory at ~90c US per item! Wooohooo! I figured I'd have me a
> couple of dozen of those as I know friends who could use one too.
>
> Then I got hit with the MOQ.... 5,000 units plus $200 shipping.
>
> Oh well, it looks like I'll be putting up with the spaghetti tangle of
> cables for the foreseeable future.

http://www.bradreese.com/images/example-cable-mess.jpg

There's a product available, it's basically like a coiled spring, made from a
flat plastic strip that you can wrap around your cables to tie them all
together into one trunk. Unfortunately I don't know what it's called ... I have
something like that for the hydraulic hoses on my postdriver. Keeps things
tidy, stops things snagging and gives considerable physical protection. I am
sure I have seen something similar for cables, but not sure what exact terms to
google for.

Another thing that works fine is velcro cable ties. I have some of those.

-P.

victor

On 3/07/2011 1:56 p.m., Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article<iuobdv$sq7$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>>
>> I've founda few things on teh intarwebs in my time that have been either
>> very hard or impossible to (practically) get in this little corner of the
>> world.
>>
>> Last week I was getting mighty frustrated with the tangle of wires going to
>> the half-dozen laptop power bricks next to my desk / 'work area'. I dreamed
>> of a world where I wouldn't need all of that extra, unnecessary cabling and
>> found the perfect thing! An adapter that does away with the cable between
>> the power point and the power brick:
>>
>> http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1309651117.jpg
>>
>> Now, I might have to space them two sockets apart on a power strip but
>> still, that would be great! However, on contacting the company in China for
>> a local supplier I'm told there isn't one but I'm welcome to buy wholesale
>> from the factory at ~90c US per item! Wooohooo! I figured I'd have me a
>> couple of dozen of those as I know friends who could use one too.
>>
>> Then I got hit with the MOQ.... 5,000 units plus $200 shipping.
>>
>> Oh well, it looks like I'll be putting up with the spaghetti tangle of
>> cables for the foreseeable future.

> http://www.bradreese.com/images/example-cable-mess.jpg
>
> There's a product available, it's basically like a coiled spring, made from a
> flat plastic strip that you can wrap around your cables to tie them all
> together into one trunk. Unfortunately I don't know what it's called ... I have
> something like that for the hydraulic hoses on my postdriver. Keeps things
> tidy, stops things snagging and gives considerable physical protection. I am
> sure I have seen something similar for cables, but not sure what exact terms to
> google for.
>
> Another thing that works fine is velcro cable ties. I have some of those.
>
> -P.

spiral wrap
http://www.dcgreen.co.nz/node/143
braid sleeve
http://www.techflex.co.nz

Greg

On 3/07/2011 1:56 p.m., Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article<iuobdv$sq7$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>>
>> I've founda few things on teh intarwebs in my time that have been either
>> very hard or impossible to (practically) get in this little corner of the
>> world.
>>
>> Last week I was getting mighty frustrated with the tangle of wires going to
>> the half-dozen laptop power bricks next to my desk / 'work area'. I dreamed
>> of a world where I wouldn't need all of that extra, unnecessary cabling and
>> found the perfect thing! An adapter that does away with the cable between
>> the power point and the power brick:
>>
>> http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1309651117.jpg
>>
>> Now, I might have to space them two sockets apart on a power strip but
>> still, that would be great! However, on contacting the company in China for
>> a local supplier I'm told there isn't one but I'm welcome to buy wholesale
>> from the factory at ~90c US per item! Wooohooo! I figured I'd have me a
>> couple of dozen of those as I know friends who could use one too.
>>
>> Then I got hit with the MOQ.... 5,000 units plus $200 shipping.
>>
>> Oh well, it looks like I'll be putting up with the spaghetti tangle of
>> cables for the foreseeable future.

> http://www.bradreese.com/images/example-cable-mess.jpg
>
> There's a product available, it's basically like a coiled spring, made from a
> flat plastic strip that you can wrap around your cables to tie them all

It's called spiral binding, I'm sure places like dick smith will sell
them, but most electrical wholesalers also sell it.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article <iuobdv$sq7$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>> I've founda few things on teh intarwebs in my time that have been
>> either very hard or impossible to (practically) get in this little
>> corner of the world.
>>
>> Last week I was getting mighty frustrated with the tangle of wires
>> going to the half-dozen laptop power bricks next to my desk / 'work
>> area'. I dreamed of a world where I wouldn't need all of that extra,
>> unnecessary cabling and found the perfect thing! An adapter that
>> does away with the cable between the power point and the power brick:
>>
>> http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1309651117.jpg
>>
>> Now, I might have to space them two sockets apart on a power strip
>> but still, that would be great! However, on contacting the company
>> in China for a local supplier I'm told there isn't one but I'm
>> welcome to buy wholesale from the factory at ~90c US per item!
>> Wooohooo! I figured I'd have me a couple of dozen of those as I know
>> friends who could use one too.
>>
>> Then I got hit with the MOQ.... 5,000 units plus $200 shipping.
>>
>> Oh well, it looks like I'll be putting up with the spaghetti tangle
>> of cables for the foreseeable future.

> http://www.bradreese.com/images/example-cable-mess.jpg
>
> There's a product available, it's basically like a coiled spring,
> made from a flat plastic strip that you can wrap around your cables
> to tie them all together into one trunk. Unfortunately I don't know
> what it's called ... I have something like that for the hydraulic
> hoses on my postdriver. Keeps things tidy, stops things snagging and
> gives considerable physical protection. I am sure I have seen
> something similar for cables, but not sure what exact terms to google
> for.

I used to use it for my first home theater setup.

> Another thing that works fine is velcro cable ties. I have some of
> those.

Yep, thanks Peter. I've used both methods. The situation is that I don't
need the cable between the plug and the brick, there's plenty of DC cable
out of the brick to the laptops. I know I could just coil up all this
un-needed stuff or tidy it up any number of ways but the laptops, and
therefore power-bricks change from day-to-day.... <shrug> I just thought it
was a good idea and wouldn't have minded a few.

Best,
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Bruce Sinclair

In article <iuobdv$sq7$(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I've founda few things on teh intarwebs in my time that have been either
>very hard or impossible to (practically) get in this little corner of the
>world.

Oh yeah - and not just bits and pieces of techy stuff, but things in
suppliers catalogs too !
We tried to order the panasonic VHS/DVD/HD recorder, which was listed in the
catalog. After 6 ish months, we were told "that model won't be coming into
NZ". No reason why not either, which was particularly infuriating. <sigh>

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)
>There's a product available, it's basically like a coiled spring, made from a
>flat plastic strip that you can wrap around your cables to tie them all
>together into one trunk. Unfortunately I don't know what it's called ... I have

Yeah those are neat (literally ). Worth checking out some of the $2 shops
too ... they sometimes have it far cheaper than the 'established suppliers'.

victor

On 3/07/2011 4:52 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Peter Huebner wrote:
>> In article<iuobdv$sq7$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>>
>>> I've founda few things on teh intarwebs in my time that have been
>>> either very hard or impossible to (practically) get in this little
>>> corner of the world.
>>>
>>> Last week I was getting mighty frustrated with the tangle of wires
>>> going to the half-dozen laptop power bricks next to my desk / 'work
>>> area'. I dreamed of a world where I wouldn't need all of that extra,
>>> unnecessary cabling and found the perfect thing! An adapter that
>>> does away with the cable between the power point and the power brick:
>>>
>>> http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1309651117.jpg
>>>
>>> Now, I might have to space them two sockets apart on a power strip
>>> but still, that would be great! However, on contacting the company
>>> in China for a local supplier I'm told there isn't one but I'm
>>> welcome to buy wholesale from the factory at ~90c US per item!
>>> Wooohooo! I figured I'd have me a couple of dozen of those as I know
>>> friends who could use one too.
>>>
>>> Then I got hit with the MOQ.... 5,000 units plus $200 shipping.
>>>
>>> Oh well, it looks like I'll be putting up with the spaghetti tangle
>>> of cables for the foreseeable future.

>> http://www.bradreese.com/images/example-cable-mess.jpg
>>
>> There's a product available, it's basically like a coiled spring,
>> made from a flat plastic strip that you can wrap around your cables
>> to tie them all together into one trunk. Unfortunately I don't know
>> what it's called ... I have something like that for the hydraulic
>> hoses on my postdriver. Keeps things tidy, stops things snagging and
>> gives considerable physical protection. I am sure I have seen
>> something similar for cables, but not sure what exact terms to google
>> for.

> I used to use it for my first home theater setup.
>
>> Another thing that works fine is velcro cable ties. I have some of
>> those.

> Yep, thanks Peter. I've used both methods. The situation is that I don't
> need the cable between the plug and the brick, there's plenty of DC cable
> out of the brick to the laptops. I know I could just coil up all this
> un-needed stuff or tidy it up any number of ways but the laptops, and
> therefore power-bricks change from day-to-day....<shrug> I just thought it
> was a good idea and wouldn't have minded a few.
>
> Best,

0.3m clover power leads are available from dynamix, I use them on my own
PSUs.
http://www.dynamix.co.nz/index.html?...C03&ID=5293479
Their range is widely distributed to electrical wholesalers.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:
> On 3/07/2011 4:52 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Peter Huebner wrote:
>>> In article<iuobdv$sq7$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> (E-Mail Removed) says...

[snip]

> 0.3m clover power leads are available from dynamix, I use them on my
> own PSUs.
> http://www.dynamix.co.nz/index.html?...C03&ID=5293479
> Their range is widely distributed to electrical wholesalers.

Thanks. I have at least one of those somewhere. I appreciate all of the
replies but they seem to miss my main point; With these 'adapters' I
wouldn't need leads at all. I'd just have an eight-way power-strip with an
adapter plugged in every second socket. No need for a lead at all.

LOL, the rest of my home is a functioning mess, it's not that big a deal
that I can't tidy up that one little area in such an elegant way. I was
mostly just having a bitch at the fact that, in this 'global village', I
need to buy 3,000 of an item (that is *exactly* what I want) when I only
want ~10 tops.

Ho-hum. Maybe there's a supplier in Aussie who sells them retail....

Cheers,
--

On 4/07/2011 2:26 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:

> [snip]
>
>> 0.3m clover power leads are available from dynamix, I use them on my
>> own PSUs.
>> http://www.dynamix.co.nz/index.html?...C03&ID=5293479
>> Their range is widely distributed to electrical wholesalers.

> Thanks. I have at least one of those somewhere. I appreciate all of the
> replies but they seem to miss my main point; With these 'adapters' I
> wouldn't need leads at all. I'd just have an eight-way power-strip with an
> adapter plugged in every second socket. No need for a lead at all.
>
> LOL, the rest of my home is a functioning mess, it's not that big a deal
> that I can't tidy up that one little area in such an elegant way. I was
> mostly just having a bitch at the fact that, in this 'global village', I
> need to buy 3,000 of an item (that is *exactly* what I want) when I only
> want ~10 tops.
>
> Ho-hum. Maybe there's a supplier in Aussie who sells them retail....
>
> Cheers,

Yeah its a valid bitching point.
Its just that Australasia has its own power plug and isn't a big market
compared to the rest of the world.
If you were to use the universal IEC powerstrip you could use IEC to
clover adapters
http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_inf...oducts_id=3109