Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Point & Shoot maker Ricoh buys PENTAX! The horror!!

Reply
Thread Tools

Point & Shoot maker Ricoh buys PENTAX! The horror!!

 
 
RichA
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2011
I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=38795593



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bruce
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2011
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
>few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
>various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
>name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.
>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=38795593



This is desperately bad news for Pentax and for Pentax users, and not
much better news for Ricoh.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1107/11...buyspentax.asp

According to this DPReview news item, Ricoh is buying Pentax "for its
interchangeable lens camera technology, lens technology and sales
channels." But the "interchangeable lens camera technology" is the
stupid, stupid, stupid Q Series, the "lens technology" was long ago
passed to Tokina (which company remains firmly in Hoya Corporation's
hands) and the Pentax "sales channels" have all but vanished, at least
here in Europe.

All Ricoh is getting is some average DSLRs, a handful of lens designs
left over from 35mm film days, a pathetic range of thoroughly mediocre
compact P&S digicams and that stupid, stupid, stupid Q Series.

The Q Series has killed Pentax stone dead. All the hard-won
credibility of the 645D has been squandered on the joke Q camera with
its tiny sensor and toy lenses.

Ricoh made some decent 35mm SLRs in the 70s and 80s and compact P&S
cameras in the 90s, notably the GR with its superb 28mm lens. But the
company has seriously lost direction since the arrival of the digital
revolution, with the huge investment in the GXR "system" producing
only an unsaleable lemon.

What we are talking about here is the joining together of two failing
companies for no reason other than Ricoh thinking that they jointly
have a better chance of survival than Ricoh has on its own.

Yet what does Pentax have to replace the GXR lemon? It has another
lemon - the Q System, a joke product if ever there was one. What does
Pentax have that would supplant Ricoh's mediocre P&S range? Another
mediocre P&S range!

We have seen it all before, when two very weak photo companies (Konica
and Minolta) merged, with disastrous consequences for both. There was
no strength in that merger - the merged company merely compounded the
structural weaknesses of both its constituent partners, as Sony later
found to its terrible cost.

The same will be true here. The only question is, who will have
dragged the other down? The blame game hardly matters, because
dragged down they will surely be. Both of them.

The only winner here is Hoya Corporation, whose Tokina brand has
benefitted greatly from Pentax's presence in the group. Selling a
Pentax lame duck has to be a good move for Hoya Corporation, but
everyone else loses.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bruce
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2011
Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
>>few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
>>various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
>>name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.
>>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=38795593

>
>
>This is desperately bad news for Pentax and for Pentax users, and not
>much better news for Ricoh.



Official news release from Hoya Corporation (Adobe .pdf document):

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6zjopot
or:
http://www.hoya.co.jp/english/news/l...0000001fwi.pdf
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2011
On 01/07/2011 12:43 PM, RichA wrote:
> I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
> few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
> various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
> name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.
>
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=38795593
>

Ricoh has made cameras since 1936.

Ricoh was a SLR maker for eons, they used the M42 (Practika/Pentax
screwmount, and in the mid-1970's switched to the Pentax K-Mount. They
were an OEM maker of some of the Sears cameras.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ricoh


Mike


 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Coe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2011
On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 19:33:18 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:iul7uv$jdi$(E-Mail Removed):
:
: > On 01/07/2011 12:43 PM, RichA wrote:
: >> I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
: >> few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
: >> various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
: >> name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.
: >>
: >> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=38795593
: >>
: > Ricoh has made cameras since 1936.
: >
: > Ricoh was a SLR maker for eons, they used the M42 (Practika/Pentax
: > screwmount, and in the mid-1970's switched to the Pentax K-Mount. They
: > were an OEM maker of some of the Sears cameras.
: >
: > http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ricoh
: >
: >
: > Mike
: >
: >
: >
:
: Second-tier maker. Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Minolta and Olympus were the
: most well-known in the SLR days. Ricoh, Mamiya, Fuji, Konica, etc.,
: brought up the rear.

How did Miranda fit into the mix? I remember them as being pretty well known
(they advertised a lot), although I don't recall ever meeting anyone who owned
one. I think they claimed to have been the first with some interesting
feature, but I can't remember what it was. (Yeah, I know; I should Google them
if I really cared.)

Bob
 
Reply With Quote
 
PeterN
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2011
On 7/1/2011 11:09 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 19:33:18 -0500, Rich<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : Mike<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:iul7uv$jdi$(E-Mail Removed):
> :
> :> On 01/07/2011 12:43 PM, RichA wrote:
> :>> I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
> :>> few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
> :>> various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
> :>> name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.
> :>>
> :>> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=38795593
> :>>
> :> Ricoh has made cameras since 1936.
> :>
> :> Ricoh was a SLR maker for eons, they used the M42 (Practika/Pentax
> :> screwmount, and in the mid-1970's switched to the Pentax K-Mount. They
> :> were an OEM maker of some of the Sears cameras.
> :>
> :> http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ricoh
> :>
> :>
> :> Mike
> :>
> :>
> :>
> :
> : Second-tier maker. Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Minolta and Olympus were the
> : most well-known in the SLR days. Ricoh, Mamiya, Fuji, Konica, etc.,
> : brought up the rear.
>
> How did Miranda fit into the mix? I remember them as being pretty well known
> (they advertised a lot), although I don't recall ever meeting anyone who owned
> one. I think they claimed to have been the first with some interesting
> feature, but I can't remember what it was. (Yeah, I know; I should Google them
> if I really cared.)
>


I was a fine camera that was put out of business because of a terrible,
but faulty review in Consumer Reports.


--
Peter
 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Coe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2011
On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 10:49:09 -0400, "Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Neil Ellwood wrote:
: > On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 21:41:19 -0400, Neil Harrington wrote:
: >
: >> Rich wrote:
: >>> Mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
: >>> news:iul7uv$jdi$(E-Mail Removed):
: >>>
: >>>> On 01/07/2011 12:43 PM, RichA wrote:
: >>>>> I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than
: >>>>> a few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its
: >>>>> position in various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name
: >>>>> change, Pentax is the name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a
: >>>>> camera maker.
: >>>>>
: >>>>> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?
: >>>>> forum=1036&message=38795593
: >>>>>
: >>>> Ricoh has made cameras since 1936.
: >>>>
: >>>> Ricoh was a SLR maker for eons, they used the M42 (Practika/Pentax
: >>>> screwmount, and in the mid-1970's switched to the Pentax K-Mount.
: >>>> They were an OEM maker of some of the Sears cameras.
: >>>>
: >>>> http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ricoh
: >>>>
: >>>>
: >>>> Mike
: >>>>
: >>>>
: >>>>
: >>>>
: >>> Second-tier maker. Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Minolta and Olympus were
: >>> the most well-known in the SLR days.
: >>
: >> They were the "Big Five," yes. But there were excellent SLRs made by
: >> several others.
: >>
: >>> Ricoh, Mamiya, Fuji, Konica, etc.,
: >>> brought up the rear.
: >>
: >> And some of those "etc."s made very nice cameras. My first really
: >> good SLR (with TTL metering) was a Yashica.
: >>
: >> The great beauty of the M42 screw mount was that you could keep and
: >> add to your collection of lenses while changing between several
: >> different brands of camera. I had a Petri, two or three Yashicas, a
: >> couple of Prakticas, a couple of Mamiya Sekors, and finally three
: >> Fujicas over the years. The last Fujicas weren't as universally
: >> compatible with respect to lenses because they had a *locking* screw
: >> mount, which was almost a design contradiction. But all the others
: >> were happy with any M42 lens.
: >
: > A lot of people referred to the M42 mount as the Pentax screw but
: > originally it was the Edixa screw even though they didn't originate
: > it.
:
: "Praktica-Pentax mount" was a common term for it, though neither Praktica
: nor Pentax originated it. I don't know when Edixa first adopted it.
:
: It has long been claimed that the M42 mount originated with the Contax S,
: which was also said to be the first SLR with a pentaprism.
:
 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Coe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2011
On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 10:49:09 -0400, "Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Neil Ellwood wrote:
: > On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 21:41:19 -0400, Neil Harrington wrote:
: >
: >> Rich wrote:
: >>> Mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
: >>> news:iul7uv$jdi$(E-Mail Removed):
: >>>
: >>>> On 01/07/2011 12:43 PM, RichA wrote:
: >>>>> I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than
: >>>>> a few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its
: >>>>> position in various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name
: >>>>> change, Pentax is the name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a
: >>>>> camera maker.
: >>>>>
: >>>>> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?
: >>>>> forum=1036&message=38795593
: >>>>>
: >>>> Ricoh has made cameras since 1936.
: >>>>
: >>>> Ricoh was a SLR maker for eons, they used the M42 (Practika/Pentax
: >>>> screwmount, and in the mid-1970's switched to the Pentax K-Mount.
: >>>> They were an OEM maker of some of the Sears cameras.
: >>>>
: >>>> http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ricoh
: >>>>
: >>>>
: >>>> Mike
: >>>>
: >>>>
: >>>>
: >>>>
: >>> Second-tier maker. Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Minolta and Olympus were
: >>> the most well-known in the SLR days.
: >>
: >> They were the "Big Five," yes. But there were excellent SLRs made by
: >> several others.
: >>
: >>> Ricoh, Mamiya, Fuji, Konica, etc.,
: >>> brought up the rear.
: >>
: >> And some of those "etc."s made very nice cameras. My first really
: >> good SLR (with TTL metering) was a Yashica.
: >>
: >> The great beauty of the M42 screw mount was that you could keep and
: >> add to your collection of lenses while changing between several
: >> different brands of camera. I had a Petri, two or three Yashicas, a
: >> couple of Prakticas, a couple of Mamiya Sekors, and finally three
: >> Fujicas over the years. The last Fujicas weren't as universally
: >> compatible with respect to lenses because they had a *locking* screw
: >> mount, which was almost a design contradiction. But all the others
: >> were happy with any M42 lens.
: >
: > A lot of people referred to the M42 mount as the Pentax screw but
: > originally it was the Edixa screw even though they didn't originate
: > it.
:
: "Praktica-Pentax mount" was a common term for it, though neither Praktica
: nor Pentax originated it. I don't know when Edixa first adopted it.
:
: It has long been claimed that the M42 mount originated with the Contax S,
: which was also said to be the first SLR with a pentaprism.

That surprises me, because I always thought Contaxes had bayonet mounts. In
the 50s and 60s, Leicas (until the M series) and Canons (which looked almost
exactly like f-series Leicas) had screw mounts; Contaxes and Nikons (which
looked a lot like Contaxes) had bayonet mounts. Or so I thought.

Bob
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2011
Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 10:49:09 -0400, "Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>: It has long been claimed that the M42 mount originated with the Contax S,
>: which was also said to be the first SLR with a pentaprism.
>
>That surprises me, because I always thought Contaxes had bayonet mounts. In
>the 50s and 60s, Leicas (until the M series) and Canons (which looked almost
>exactly like f-series Leicas) had screw mounts; Contaxes and Nikons (which
>looked a lot like Contaxes) had bayonet mounts. Or so I thought.



You're both partly right. However, the Contax rangefinder cameras
(which looked a lot like Nikon rangefinder cameras because Nikon
copied them) had bayonet mounts,while the Contax SLRs used the M42
universal mount.

The M42 mount was first used in 1947 on the Praktiflex SLR which had
been in production at the Dresden factory of Kamera-Werkstätten VEB
Niedersedlitz since 1939 with a 40mm screw mount.

The Contax S was also made in Dresden by Zeiss Ikon, which by then had
officially split from Zeiss in West Germany. It adopted the M42
mount. Production started in 1949.

After some lengthy legal wrangling, Zeiss Ikon were denied the use of
the Contax brand and chose the name "Pentacon" for future production.
However, cameras sold in the Comecon (eastern bloc) countries were
still labelled "Contax".

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2011
"Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>I knew one fellow who owned a Miranda, I think in the late '60s. When we
>discussed our cameras he asked me, "Why didn't you get a Miranda?" -- as if
>that was so obviously the only camera to buy.
>
>I think Miranda had an unusual dual mount, both screw and bayonet. But the
>screw wasn't the ubiquitous M42. I ordered an M42 lens from a NYC dealer and
>it wouldn't fit my cameras because it was for the Miranda screw mount
>instead. I sold it to the guy with the Miranda.
>
>Mirandas were imported by Allied Impex, with Soligor lenses. Allied Impex
>also imported Soligor lenses for most other cameras at that time. I think
>they just owned the name "Soligor," i.e. it was a brand name like "Vivitar,"
>not necessarily a specific manufacturer.



Some useful indication on Miranda cameras here:
http://www.mirandacamera.com/_modelid/modelid.htm
and here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miranda_Camera_Company

In the 1980s, Dixons, who were Britain's largest retailer of cameras,
purchased the Miranda name and used it on a range of cheap and very
nasty SLRs and lenses that were made by Cosina. They also applied the
name to some very dubious accessories, including tripods whose
extrusions were made from a soft and pliable alloy that rendered them
useless.

These products should not be confused with the genuine Miranda
products made until 1978 when the company went bust.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Modern Stand Alone Photo Image Organizer/Album Maker/Slide Show Maker JOHNCHAP2 Digital Photography 3 02-05-2013 11:54 PM
Share-Point-2010 ,Share-Point -2010 Training , Share-point-2010Hyderabad , Share-point-2010 Institute Saraswati lakki ASP .Net 0 01-06-2012 06:39 AM
Video card does not meet minimum requirments for windows dvd maker and movie maker Travis Computer Information 1 10-01-2006 12:10 AM
Scenario 5: IS-IS routing on Frame Relay Multi-point and Point-to-Point David Sudjiman Cisco 0 06-08-2006 09:11 AM
how to tell display adapter maker when no maker listed on it effi Computer Information 3 10-26-2004 08:43 AM



Advertisments