Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Point & Shoot maker Ricoh buys PENTAX! The horror!!

Point & Shoot maker Ricoh buys PENTAX! The horror!!

Bob(but not THAT Bob)

Robert Coe wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 19:33:18 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : Mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:iul7uv$jdi$(E-Mail Removed):
> :
> : > On 01/07/2011 12:43 PM, RichA wrote:
> : >> I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
> : >> few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
> : >> various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
> : >> name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.
> : >>
> : >> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=38795593
> : >>
> : > Ricoh has made cameras since 1936.
> : >
> : > Ricoh was a SLR maker for eons, they used the M42 (Practika/Pentax
> : > screwmount, and in the mid-1970's switched to the Pentax K-Mount. They
> : > were an OEM maker of some of the Sears cameras.
> : >
> : > http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ricoh
> : >
> : >
> : > Mike
> : >
> : >
> : >
> :
> : Second-tier maker. Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Minolta and Olympus were the
> : most well-known in the SLR days. Ricoh, Mamiya, Fuji, Konica, etc.,
> : brought up the rear.
>
> How did Miranda fit into the mix? I remember them as being pretty well known
> (they advertised a lot), although I don't recall ever meeting anyone who owned
> one. I think they claimed to have been the first with some interesting
> feature, but I can't remember what it was. (Yeah, I know; I should Google them
> if I really cared.)
>
> Bob

I think their Sensorex was the first with a meter on the mirror - which
allowed interchangeable finders while retaining the metering.

My old favorite Topcon Super D had it too, but later I think.

Bob(but not THAT Bob)

Rich wrote:

> Mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:iul7uv$jdi$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > On 01/07/2011 12:43 PM, RichA wrote:
> >> I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
> >> few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
> >> various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
> >> name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.
> >>
> >> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=38795593
> >>

> > Ricoh has made cameras since 1936.
> >
> > Ricoh was a SLR maker for eons, they used the M42 (Practika/Pentax
> > screwmount, and in the mid-1970's switched to the Pentax K-Mount. They
> > were an OEM maker of some of the Sears cameras.
> >
> > http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ricoh
> >

> > Mike
> >

> Second-tier maker. Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Minolta and Olympus were the
> most well-known in the SLR days. Ricoh, Mamiya, Fuji, Konica, etc.,
> brought up the rear.

Ricoh "acquired" back then too. It was rumored at the time that they
made the Nikkorex for Nikon as well as the Nikon mount Ricoh Singlex.
Mamiya actually made the Nikkorex - and Ricoh bought the design, so no
surprise they eventually went to the same Pentax screw mount the
infamous Mamiya-Sekor used.

SMS

On 7/1/2011 9:43 AM, RichA wrote:
> I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
> few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
> various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
> name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.

Outside the U.S. they are quite well known as a camera maker. For
whatever reason they decided not to continue to sell their cameras in
the U.S., except via one NYC retailer, Adorama.

Clearly it's too late for Ricoh to enter the D-SLR market and Pentax is
so far behind the market leaders that it's a very strange acquisition
unless it was just to prevent Pentax from shutting down. 125 million is
just a token amount.

Robert Coe

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 16:39:34 -0400, "Bob(but not THAT Bob)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Rich wrote:
: >
: > Mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:iul7uv$jdi$(E-Mail Removed):
: >
: > > On 01/07/2011 12:43 PM, RichA wrote:
: > >> I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
: > >> few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
: > >> various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
: > >> name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.
: > >>
: > >> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=38795593
: > >>
: > > Ricoh has made cameras since 1936.
: > >
[...]

I recall the name "Mamiya-Sekor", but nothing else about it. What was it, and
why was it infamous? If I'd had to guess, I might have said it was that TLR
with interchangeable fronts. But I don't think that had a screw mount. ;^)

Bob

SMS

On 7/1/2011 12:42 PM, Mike wrote:
> On 01/07/2011 12:43 PM, RichA wrote:
>> I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
>> few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
>> various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
>> name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.
>>
>> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=38795593
>>

> Ricoh has made cameras since 1936.

They were pretty big in the early days of digital too. My first digital
camera was a Philips ESP80 which was a rebadged Ricoh RDC-4300.
Excellent camera for the time, but they forgot the optical viewfinder so
it didn't do well against the Nikon and Olympus competition.

Bob(but not THAT Bob)

Robert Coe wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 16:39:34 -0400, "Bob(but not THAT Bob)"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : Rich wrote:
> : >
> : > Mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:iul7uv$jdi$(E-Mail Removed):
> : >
> : > > On 01/07/2011 12:43 PM, RichA wrote:
> : > >> I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
> : > >> few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
> : > >> various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
> : > >> name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.
> : > >>
> : > >> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=38795593
> : > >>
> : > > Ricoh has made cameras since 1936.
> : > >
> : > > Ricoh was a SLR maker for eons, they used the M42 (Practika/Pentax
> : > > screwmount, and in the mid-1970's switched to the Pentax K-Mount. They
> : > > were an OEM maker of some of the Sears cameras.
> : > >
> : > > http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ricoh
> : > >
> : > >
> : > > Mike
> : > >
> : > >
> : > >
> : >
> : > Second-tier maker. Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Minolta and Olympus were the
> : > most well-known in the SLR days. Ricoh, Mamiya, Fuji, Konica, etc.,
> : > brought up the rear.
> :
> : Ricoh "acquired" back then too. It was rumored at the time that they
> : made the Nikkorex for Nikon as well as the Nikon mount Ricoh Singlex.
> : Mamiya actually made the Nikkorex - and Ricoh bought the design, so no
> : surprise they eventually went to the same Pentax screw mount the
> : infamous Mamiya-Sekor used.
>
> I recall the name "Mamiya-Sekor", but nothing else about it. What was it, and
> why was it infamous? If I'd had to guess, I might have said it was that TLR
> with interchangeable fronts. But I don't think that had a screw mount. ;^)
>
> Bob

A 35mm slr - two models, a 500DTL & 1000DTL - the only problem was the
QC - every one of them sold at the local pro photo store got returned as
defective.

They sold like crazy because there was a spiff on them - so the salesmen
pushed the hell out of them.

Once they got refurbed, they performed as well as any low end slr with a
mediocre lens.

Their TLRs weren't bad, but the first gen. of their 6x7 format RB67 slr
lenses had that QC problem - they apparently used the wrong viscosity
lube on the leaf shutters and they'd stick and hang open. Once again, if
you were lucky and got them fixed under warranty, they performed fine
thereafter.

Pros don't like to be beta testers, so I'm sure it helped sell a lot of
'blads.

RichA

On Jul 2, 11:48*pm, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 16:39:34 -0400, "Bob(but not THAT Bob)"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : Rich wrote:
>
> : >
> : > Mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote innews:iul7uv$jdi$(E-Mail Removed):
> : >
> : > > On 01/07/2011 12:43 PM, RichA wrote:
> : > >> I pity Pentaxians. *But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
> : > >> few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
> : > >> various markets. *I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
> : > >> name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.
> : > >>
> : > >>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=38795593
> : > >>
> : > > Ricoh has made cameras since 1936.
> : > >
> : > > Ricoh was a SLR maker for eons, they used the M42 (Practika/Pentax
> : > > screwmount, and in the mid-1970's switched to the Pentax K-Mount. They
> : > > were an OEM maker of some of the Sears cameras.
> : > >
> : > >http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ricoh
> : > >
> : > >
> : > > Mike
> : > >
> : > >
> : > >
> : >
> : > Second-tier maker. *Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Minolta and Olympus were the
> : > most well-known in the SLR days. *Ricoh, Mamiya, Fuji, Konica, etc.,
> : > brought up the rear.
> :
> : Ricoh "acquired" back then too. It was rumored at the time that they
> : made the Nikkorex for Nikon as well as the Nikon mount Ricoh Singlex.
> : Mamiya actually made the Nikkorex - and Ricoh bought the design, so no
> : surprise they eventually went to the same Pentax screw mount the
> : infamous Mamiya-Sekor used.
>
> I recall the name "Mamiya-Sekor", but nothing else about it. What was it,and
> why was it infamous? If I'd had to guess, I might have said it was that TLR
> with interchangeable fronts. But I don't think that had a screw mount. *;^)
>
> Bob

Because its M42 mount was different than the others.

John Turco

Neil Harrington wrote:

> > RichA wrote:
> > I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
> > few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
> > various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
> > name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.

> Not as well known as Pentax, but Ricoh has been making cameras for a very
> long time, some of them highly regarded. No need to "pity Pentaxians" on
> this account as far as I can see.
>
> Companies buy and/or merge with other companies. That's the history of
> the business world.

<edited>

Doesn't Kodak own Ricoh?

(No, wait...I must've been thinking of Chinon!)

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

John Turco

Neil Harrington wrote:

> > John Turco wrote:

> >> Not as well known as Pentax, but Ricoh has been making cameras for a
> >> very long time, some of them highly regarded. No need to "pity
> >> Pentaxians" on this account as far as I can see.
> >>
> >> Companies buy and/or merge with other companies. That's the history
> >> of the business world.

> > <edited>
> >
> > Doesn't Kodak own Ricoh?
> >
> > (No, wait...I must've been thinking of Chinon!)

> Beats me, John.

I was correct.

Wikipedia - Chinon Industries
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinon_Industries>

Some excerpts:

"Chinon Industries Inc. (???????, Chinon Kabushiki-gaisha?) was
a Japanese camera manufacturer. Kodak took a majority stake in
the company in 1997, and made it a fully owned subsidiary of
Kodak Japan, Kodak Digital Product Center, Japan Ltd."

<edited>

"Chinon also was a manufacturer of CD-ROM drives, scanners,
electronic pocket calculators, and floppy disk drives. They
even dabbled in VR with Cybershades for the PC, launched in
the US market in 1995 for $199."

<edited>

"Founded 1948"

"Defunct 2004"

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Bob(but not THAT Bob)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like:

>Ricoh "acquired" back then too. It was rumored at the time that they
>made the Nikkorex for Nikon as well as the Nikon mount Ricoh Singlex.

I acquired a Ricoh Singlex for the lens a couple of years ago. I was
quite surprised to find it attached to a fairly decent solidly-built
lump of metal. It gives me a bit of a blast using much later Nikon glass
on it
Apparently it was the first to use the metal Copal Square shutter, which
was reportedly problematical at the time (fixed in subsequent useage),
but mine works fine.