Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > How can I run asp.net in other computers....

How can I run asp.net in other computers....

Vanga Sasidhar

I have four computers.

One computer - Win XP

Two computers - Win 98

One computer - Win ME

I designed some pages in my computer having Win XP operating system. I
installed dot net framework 1.1 and web matrix is used for asp .net code
editing. Now I want to access these pages in other three computers with
win98 and winme as operating systems. I dont want to just copy these files
in other computers. i want to use internet explorer to browse these files
and my winxp system should work as server. i didnt set anything like server
and terminals in my four computers. all these four computers are just
connected using a hub and networked by giving serial ip addresses. Please
help me. Can i access these files in other computers? If yes what are the
other things i have to install or set in other three computers?

With Regards,

Vanga Sasidhar

If you are using a "hub" then your Computers will be given IP addresses
on Windows XP go to STart -> run -> cmd.exe and type ipconfig.
Find the IP address. (Below is sample output)

then go to your Windows 98 or Windows ME Box and type in
http://ipaddress/WebForm1/WebForm1.aspx (where ipaddress is replaced with
the IP address of the xp computer).
Please note that if youa re running Windows ICF or another firewall on your
XP Server you may need to make an exception for it on port 80 (the port that
IIS is listening on )

Hope this helps. posting is provided as is.

"Vanga Sasidhar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have four computers.
>
> One computer - Win XP
>
> Two computers - Win 98
>
> One computer - Win ME
>
> I designed some pages in my computer having Win XP operating system. I
> installed dot net framework 1.1 and web matrix is used for asp .net code
> editing. Now I want to access these pages in other three computers with
> win98 and winme as operating systems. I dont want to just copy these files
> in other computers. i want to use internet explorer to browse these files
> and my winxp system should work as server. i didnt set anything like
> server
> and terminals in my four computers. all these four computers are just
> connected using a hub and networked by giving serial ip addresses. Please
> help me. Can i access these files in other computers? If yes what are the
> other things i have to install or set in other three computers?
>
> With Regards,
>
> Vanga Sasidhar

Sebastien Lambla

Vanga Sasidhar wrote:

> I have four computers.
>
> One computer - Win XP
>
> Two computers - Win 98
>
> One computer - Win ME
>
> I designed some pages in my computer having Win XP operating system. I
> installed dot net framework 1.1 and web matrix is used for asp .net code
> editing. Now I want to access these pages in other three computers with
> win98 and winme as operating systems. I dont want to just copy these files
> in other computers. i want to use internet explorer to browse these files
> and my winxp system should work as server. i didnt set anything like server
> and terminals in my four computers. all these four computers are just
> connected using a hub and networked by giving serial ip addresses. Please
> help me. Can i access these files in other computers? If yes what are the
> other things i have to install or set in other three computers?

Hi Vanga,

you cannot access your pages from the web server running on your
windowsxp machine if you're using the server included in web matrix. You
need to install a server that can run asp.net pages. Several choices:

1. Easiest, upgrade to windows xp pro, and use IIS (Internet Information
Services) to publish your pages
2. Easy but cost money: Buy yourself some space on the web to host your
asp.net application. It ain't free though.
3. Install an alternative asp.net web server: Either a modified Cassini
web server (you can find it by googling), or apache with a mono
installation (you may run into problems though, as the installation is
slightly more complex and i'm not even sure it's running on windows.

--
Sebastien Lambla [TheTechnologist]
The Geeky Lazy Bloggy

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

The Cassini web server that is included with web matrix only supports
viewing web pages on the development machine.
It was designed for development purposes only.
For a more real-world scenario such as you describe you'll need IIS on your
WinXP Pro computer. (WinXP Home does not include IIS.)

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

"Vanga Sasidhar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have four computers.
>
> One computer - Win XP
>
> Two computers - Win 98
>
> One computer - Win ME
>
> I designed some pages in my computer having Win XP operating system. I
> installed dot net framework 1.1 and web matrix is used for asp .net code
> editing. Now I want to access these pages in other three computers with
> win98 and winme as operating systems. I dont want to just copy these files
> in other computers. i want to use internet explorer to browse these files
> and my winxp system should work as server. i didnt set anything like

server
> and terminals in my four computers. all these four computers are just
> connected using a hub and networked by giving serial ip addresses. Please
> help me. Can i access these files in other computers? If yes what are the
> other things i have to install or set in other three computers?
>
> With Regards,
>
> Vanga Sasidhar

Vanga Sasidhar

Thanks for your help. With some changes in config files i am sure that i can
run my asp.net pages from my winxp to other win98 and winme computers. Now I
want one more help. Can I run my asp.net pages in a standalone computer
which is not connected to any other computer and having win98 or winme as
operating system? Right now i am developing my asp.net pages in a computer
which is already having winxp using IIS 6.0 server. There is no problem in
it. But i want to copy these files in my home computer which is having win98
and winme operating systems and i want to run those asp.net pages in it. Is
this possible by installing any other servers?

With Regards,
Vanga Sasidhar

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you are using a "hub" then your Computers will be given IP addresses
> on Windows XP go to STart -> run -> cmd.exe and type ipconfig.
> Find the IP address. (Below is sample output)

> then go to your Windows 98 or Windows ME Box and type in
> http://ipaddress/WebForm1/WebForm1.aspx (where ipaddress is replaced with
> the IP address of the xp computer).
> Please note that if youa re running Windows ICF or another firewall on

your
> XP Server you may need to make an exception for it on port 80 (the port

that
> IIS is listening on )
>

> Hope this helps. posting is provided as is.
>

> "Vanga Sasidhar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have four computers.
> >
> > One computer - Win XP
> >
> > Two computers - Win 98
> >
> > One computer - Win ME
> >
> > I designed some pages in my computer having Win XP operating system. I
> > installed dot net framework 1.1 and web matrix is used for asp .net code
> > editing. Now I want to access these pages in other three computers with

> > win98 and winme as operating systems. I dont want to just copy these

files
> > in other computers. i want to use internet explorer to browse these

files
> > and my winxp system should work as server. i didnt set anything like
> > server
> > and terminals in my four computers. all these four computers are just
> > connected using a hub and networked by giving serial ip addresses.

Please
> > help me. Can i access these files in other computers? If yes what are

the
> > other things i have to install or set in other three computers?
> >
> > With Regards,
> >
> > Vanga Sasidhar

Vanga Sasidhar

Dear Sebastien,

I am using IIS 6.0 as my server, winxp operating system and Webmatrix as
asp.net editor. I have already resolved my problem. I am able to run my
asp.net pages in other computers by using the ipaddress of the winxp
computer as these computers are already networked by using a hub. But one
more problem i have.

I am developing my asp.net pages using the above configuration. But i
want to run these files in my home computer which is not at all connected to
any other computer and more over it is having win98 and winme operating
systems. is there any possibility that i can run these asp.net pages in my
home computer with the above mentioned configuration. Can it be possible
atleast by installing any other servers in it? Please help me.

With Regards,
Vanga Sasidhar

"Sebastien Lambla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Vanga Sasidhar wrote:
>
> > I have four computers.
> >
> > One computer - Win XP
> >
> > Two computers - Win 98
> >
> > One computer - Win ME
> >
> > I designed some pages in my computer having Win XP operating system. I
> > installed dot net framework 1.1 and web matrix is used for asp .net code
> > editing. Now I want to access these pages in other three computers with
> > win98 and winme as operating systems. I dont want to just copy these

files
> > in other computers. i want to use internet explorer to browse these

files
> > and my winxp system should work as server. i didnt set anything like

server
> > and terminals in my four computers. all these four computers are just
> > connected using a hub and networked by giving serial ip addresses.

Please
> > help me. Can i access these files in other computers? If yes what are

the
> > other things i have to install or set in other three computers?
> >

> Hi Vanga,
>
> you cannot access your pages from the web server running on your
> windowsxp machine if you're using the server included in web matrix. You
> need to install a server that can run asp.net pages. Several choices:
>
> 1. Easiest, upgrade to windows xp pro, and use IIS (Internet Information
> Services) to publish your pages
> 2. Easy but cost money: Buy yourself some space on the web to host your
> asp.net application. It ain't free though.
> 3. Install an alternative asp.net web server: Either a modified Cassini
> web server (you can find it by googling), or apache with a mono
> installation (you may run into problems though, as the installation is
> slightly more complex and i'm not even sure it's running on windows.
>
> --
> Sebastien Lambla [TheTechnologist]
> The Geeky Lazy Bloggy
> http://blog.thetechnologist.net