Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > US DID Numbers

Reply
Thread Tools

US DID Numbers

 
 
Graham.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-30-2011

"Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:37:57 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> http://www.ipkall.com/
>>
>> Limited area codes though.

>
> Thanks. Have you tried it? Losing the phone number after 30 days with no
> answered calls makes their service rather fragile.
>
> I completed the registration and received back an email with a phone number
> in Area Code (253). I then tried to log back into Ipkall using that phone
> number and the same email address to which the number had been sent and am
> now greeted by "<---Must be a valid email address" in crimson.
>
> Their forum at http://forum.voxilla.com/ipkall-support-forum/ mentions this
> is not an error message but then fails to explain how to proceed past it.


That's because it's just a statement of fact/information, if you've got that far and had
the DDI emailed to you, then you have a live account.

The concept with IPCall is different compared to most other providers,
With most providers you registered your device with their server.
With IPCall (and UKDDI) you point the service to your device.
So lets say you have an IP phone set up to use voipcheap.co.uk for outgoing calls, and your account
is tonygold

There are two fields in the user settings page,
In SIP Phone Number you put "tonygold"
In SIP Proxy you put "sip.voipcheap.co.uk"
As you can see the so called SIP Phone number is often non-numerical!

Dial the US number and your IP phone should ring

Try this it always works

SIP Phone Number "166"
SIP Proxy "sip.voipfone.co.uk"


--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Anthony R. Gold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-30-2011
On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 22:56:05 +0100, "Anthony R. Gold"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> There is no such a list anywhere;


Sorry, that was wrong, there is indeed a list - but still it's one of states
for which sipgate has no numbers.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
GlowingBlueMist
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-30-2011
On 6/30/2011 5:13 PM, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 22:56:05 +0100, "Anthony R. Gold"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> There is no such a list anywhere;

>
> Sorry, that was wrong, there is indeed a list - but still it's one of states
> for which sipgate has no numbers.
>

I see the problem now. As I had no actual interest in obtaining an
number from them I had not previously tried the "Sign up now!" button.

Oh well, with luck and a little time they will get some more numbers for
use somewhere. In the mean time ipkall.com appears to still have
numbers, even if they are limited to Washington state.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Anthony R. Gold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2011
On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 23:19:47 +0100, "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:37:57 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.ipkall.com/
>>>
>>> Limited area codes though.

>>
>> Thanks. Have you tried it? Losing the phone number after 30 days with no
>> answered calls makes their service rather fragile.
>>
>> I completed the registration and received back an email with a phone number
>> in Area Code (253). I then tried to log back into Ipkall using that phone
>> number and the same email address to which the number had been sent and am
>> now greeted by "<---Must be a valid email address" in crimson.
>>
>> Their forum at http://forum.voxilla.com/ipkall-support-forum/ mentions this
>> is not an error message but then fails to explain how to proceed past it.
>>

> That's because it's just a statement of fact/information, if you've got that far and had
> the DDI emailed to you, then you have a live account.


Ah, I didn't realise that page was the end of the line and could be edited
directly. I was expecting to be forwarded somewhere else for configuration.

> The concept with IPCall is different compared to most other providers,
> With most providers you registered your device with their server.
> With IPCall (and UKDDI) you point the service to your device.
> So lets say you have an IP phone set up to use voipcheap.co.uk for outgoing calls, and your account
> is tonygold
>
> There are two fields in the user settings page,
> In SIP Phone Number you put "tonygold"
> In SIP Proxy you put "sip.voipcheap.co.uk"
> As you can see the so called SIP Phone number is often non-numerical!
>
> Dial the US number and your IP phone should ring
>
> Try this it always works
>
> SIP Phone Number "166"
> SIP Proxy "sip.voipfone.co.uk"


Many thanks. First 166 worked and was funny and then I copied its format to
and got calls successfully forwarded to my own voipcheap account.

But no luck yet with sipgate.

For sipgate I used my "11xxxxx" (seven digit ID number) as the SIP Phone
Number and "sipgate.co.uk" as proxy but when I called the IPKall USA phone
number I received a message about the call not being completed because of
network error 104 which I understand translates to "host requires
authentication", whatever that implies. Any ideas?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Graham.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2011

"Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 23:19:47 +0100, "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:37:57 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>> http://www.ipkall.com/
>>>>
>>>> Limited area codes though.
>>>
>>> Thanks. Have you tried it? Losing the phone number after 30 days with no
>>> answered calls makes their service rather fragile.
>>>
>>> I completed the registration and received back an email with a phone number
>>> in Area Code (253). I then tried to log back into Ipkall using that phone
>>> number and the same email address to which the number had been sent and am
>>> now greeted by "<---Must be a valid email address" in crimson.
>>>
>>> Their forum at http://forum.voxilla.com/ipkall-support-forum/ mentions this
>>> is not an error message but then fails to explain how to proceed past it.
>>>

>> That's because it's just a statement of fact/information, if you've got that far and had
>> the DDI emailed to you, then you have a live account.

>
> Ah, I didn't realise that page was the end of the line and could be edited
> directly. I was expecting to be forwarded somewhere else for configuration.
>
>> The concept with IPCall is different compared to most other providers,
>> With most providers you registered your device with their server.
>> With IPCall (and UKDDI) you point the service to your device.
>> So lets say you have an IP phone set up to use voipcheap.co.uk for outgoing calls, and your account
>> is tonygold
>>
>> There are two fields in the user settings page,
>> In SIP Phone Number you put "tonygold"
>> In SIP Proxy you put "sip.voipcheap.co.uk"
>> As you can see the so called SIP Phone number is often non-numerical!
>>
>> Dial the US number and your IP phone should ring
>>
>> Try this it always works
>>
>> SIP Phone Number "166"
>> SIP Proxy "sip.voipfone.co.uk"

>
> Many thanks. First 166 worked and was funny and then I copied its format to
> and got calls successfully forwarded to my own voipcheap account.
>
> But no luck yet with sipgate.
>
> For sipgate I used my "11xxxxx" (seven digit ID number) as the SIP Phone
> Number and "sipgate.co.uk" as proxy but when I called the IPKall USA phone
> number I received a message about the call not being completed because of
> network error 104 which I understand translates to "host requires
> authentication", whatever that implies. Any ideas?


You can't point a URI to sipgate.co.uk they block it somehow, it's a known issue.

Use an account from orbtalk.co.uk instead. The proxy is talk.orbtalk.co.uk

I have several Orbtalk accounts, I use them as "magnets" for UKDDI numbers, that work
in a similar way to IPCall.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%


 
Reply With Quote
 
Anthony R. Gold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2011
On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 01:47:41 +0100, "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You can't point a URI to sipgate.co.uk they block it somehow, it's a known issue.


Many thanks. I can now stop banging my head against the wall on that one.

Old question no-one answered: I can connect more than one ATA or softphone to
sipgate but if I cause a device or softphone to register with VOIPCheap it
appears to disconnect any device or softphone that had already been
registered. Is that my finger problem or another "known issue"?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Graham.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2011

"Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 01:47:41 +0100, "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> You can't point a URI to sipgate.co.uk they block it somehow, it's a known issue.

>
> Many thanks. I can now stop banging my head against the wall on that one.
>
> Old question no-one answered: I can connect more than one ATA or softphone to
> sipgate but if I cause a device or softphone to register with VOIPCheap it
> appears to disconnect any device or softphone that had already been
> registered. Is that my finger problem or another "known issue"?


The only device I am aware of that disconnects itself if it detects a registration elsewhere
is Betamax's own softphone. As I think I mentioned before generic softphones like X-Lite
don't exhibit this "feature".

Back to sipgate.com for a moment, I am pretty sure that since I managed to sign up for my
account they have put an additional level of security that involves a SMS sent to a US cell phone
As I don't know anyone who I could ask to receive such a messages on my behalf that would be a show-stopper for me.




--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%


 
Reply With Quote
 
Anthony R. Gold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2011
On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 12:03:23 +0100, "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
> "Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 01:47:41 +0100, "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> You can't point a URI to sipgate.co.uk they block it somehow, it's a known issue.

>>
>> Many thanks. I can now stop banging my head against the wall on that one.
>>
>> Old question no-one answered: I can connect more than one ATA or softphone to
>> sipgate but if I cause a device or softphone to register with VOIPCheap it
>> appears to disconnect any device or softphone that had already been
>> registered. Is that my finger problem or another "known issue"?

>
> The only device I am aware of that disconnects itself if it detects a registration elsewhere
> is Betamax's own softphone. As I think I mentioned before generic softphones like X-Lite
> don't exhibit this "feature".


I believe I had that problem with a different softphone kicking my Linksys
ATA off registration and vice-versa. I'll go back and revisit the matter.

> Back to sipgate.com for a moment, I am pretty sure that since I managed to sign up for my
> account they have put an additional level of security that involves a SMS sent to a US cell phone
> As I don't know anyone who I could ask to receive such a messages on my behalf that would be a show-stopper for me.


That would not cause me a problem, even if a real cell phone was needed. But
couldn't you toss them any old US phone number, including say a Google Voice
one? I don't know that the sender of an SMS can detect whether or not the
destination US number is assigned to a cell phone.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve Hayes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2011
On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 01:47:41 +0100, Graham. wrote:

> "Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 23:19:47 +0100, "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> "Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:37:57 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
>>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> http://www.ipkall.com/
>>>>>

[snip]
>>
>> But no luck yet with sipgate.
>>
>> For sipgate I used my "11xxxxx" (seven digit ID number) as the SIP
>> Phone Number and "sipgate.co.uk" as proxy but when I called the IPKall
>> USA phone number I received a message about the call not being
>> completed because of network error 104 which I understand translates to
>> "host requires authentication", whatever that implies. Any ideas?

>
> You can't point a URI to sipgate.co.uk they block it somehow, it's a
> known issue.
>
> Use an account from orbtalk.co.uk instead. The proxy is
> talk.orbtalk.co.uk
>
> I have several Orbtalk accounts, I use them as "magnets" for UKDDI
> numbers, that work in a similar way to IPCall.


Once upon a time, IPCall did work with Sipgate but Sipgate itself was
notoriously flaky. Sipgate did something to their network that fixed it
and they've been pretty good ever since but the fix blocked incoming URI
connections and IPCall wouldn't work any more.

I think Sipgate's problems were due to some sort of attacks on / abuse of
their network and the block was their answer.

If you're using an ATA on a static IP, you can try pointing IPCall
directly at the ATA (i.e. put your numeric IP address in place of
sipgate.co.uk), still using your 8 digit Sipgate number as the account so
that the ATA accepts the calls. That used to work for me but I haven't
used it in years. It'll probably work via a dynamic DNS service too.


--
Steve Hayes, South Wales, UK -- remove colours from address
 
Reply With Quote
 
Anthony R. Gold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2011
On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 22:42:36 +0000 (UTC), Steve Hayes
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Once upon a time, IPCall did work with Sipgate but Sipgate itself was
> notoriously flaky. Sipgate did something to their network that fixed it
> and they've been pretty good ever since but the fix blocked incoming URI
> connections and IPCall wouldn't work any more.
>
> I think Sipgate's problems were due to some sort of attacks on / abuse of
> their network and the block was their answer.


IPKall say the issue is that sipgate rejects "anonymous calls", by which they
mean connections attempted by parties with whom they have no registered
peering arrangements. I am still pursuing the matter.
http://forum.voxilla.com/ipkall-supp...tml#post161929

> If you're using an ATA on a static IP, you can try pointing IPCall
> directly at the ATA (i.e. put your numeric IP address in place of
> sipgate.co.uk), still using your 8 digit Sipgate number as the account so
> that the ATA accepts the calls. That used to work for me but I haven't
> used it in years. It'll probably work via a dynamic DNS service too.


Thanks, but that would not achieve my primary objective of being able to pick
up calls made to the IPKall US number at multiple locations.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did this stop working? Or did it ever work? (metamagic) Daniel Waite Ruby 2 05-01-2008 11:08 PM
DID Numbers s180401-1@yahoo.com VOIP 4 11-28-2005 05:22 AM
multiple DID ( virtual Numbers ) sipura SPA-3000 SIP2PSTN VOIP 8 07-26-2005 02:42 PM
I did the run, cmd thing, and my video actually did mess up. The Maitch Computer Support 0 04-25-2005 11:37 PM
cisco t1 isdn call to DID or DID no ring tone optimus Cisco 1 12-31-2003 04:35 PM



Advertisments