Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > StringBuilder Difficulties

StringBuilder Difficulties

supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizeringelimatisticantations

On 06/07/2011 9:09 AM, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> markspace<-@.> writes:
>
> 1> Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.advocacy
>
> 1> Possible, sure. Although the M.O. of "super" doesn't really match
> 1> Paul's much, imo. Maybe we've trolled even if it's not Paul.
>
> The M.O. of "Stefan Robacki" matches those of Tim Harrison, Sulfide
> Eater, Chad Carmichael, Extravagan, Meerkats, Purpleswandir, Heike
> Svensson, Derek Yancey, Zxcvbnm, Greg Kelly, Willy Wonka, Nougat
> Surprise, Mister Whiskers, John Harbl, Alice, Cthun, Boojum, Katie
> Gerrolds, Julie Faramis, Henry Harrison, Nancy 4, and
> supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizeringe limatisticantations,
> markspace.

Hey, what?! Why am I in this list?

> Why not just spot the NNTP-Posting-Host, markspace?

Lots of people use AIOE, tholen. You're crazy if you think that will
identify individual, separate posters. If AIOE put an IP address into
that header, perhaps, but it doesn't.

supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizeringelimatisticantations

On 06/07/2011 10:18 PM, I didn't write:
> On 06/07/2011 8:54 PM, Paul Derbyshire - Pembroke[ontario.ca] wrote

No, he didn't, I did.

>> WTF? I didn't write that. And what does "YABT" even mean?

> Go fetch it yourself you lazy fat ****!

ExCUSE me?

What the hell is the matter with you, and why don't you think up your
own handle and stop using mine to post profanity and flames!

>> Why are posts appearing in this newsgroup with my name on them that I
>> didn't write???

> oH did you not?
> bummer that!

You, sir, have an attitude problem.

Get your own From line.

Get your attitude adjusted.

Get the hell out of cljp.

supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizeringelimatisticantations

On 06/07/2011 10:17 PM,
supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizeringe limatisticantations wrote:

> On 06/07/2011 8:58 PM, Paul Derbyshire - Pembroke[ontario.ca] wrote:
>
>>> Like "I am a ****head who likes to **** with newsgroups. This other
>>> ****head is ****ing up my ****ing with newsgroups. Ex-****ing-scuse me!
>>> Can you help me to help the ****head ****off?"
>>>
>>> make sure you sign it "Paul". Paolo knows you are coming[pun]

>> What the hell are you babbling on about now?

> You really are attached to this st00pid ****ing name!

If you think it's so stupid, why do you love it so much you insist on
using it instead of inventing your own handle to use here, huh?

> Complain to Paolo, Paul.

Who the hell are Paolo and Paul?

> He wants you to be there for him.

Who are you talking about. It sounds like you think I'm gay. Sorry, so
totally not. If THAT's what you're looking for, you're barking up the
wrong tree.

> SNAAAAAAAAAAAAARF

What is that? You sound like a dog. And act like a dog that wants to
keep following someone around and humping their leg.

In which case:

Beat it, mutt, before I call the pound.

Steve Erwin

supercalifxxxxPaul Derbyshire - Pembroke Ontario CA
>On 06/07/2011 10:17 PM,
>supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizering elimatisticantations wrote:

>>> What the hell are you babbling on about now?

>> You really are attached to this st00pid ****ing name!

>If you think it's so stupid, why do you love it so much you insist on
>using it instead of inventing your own handle to use here, huh?
>
>> Complain to Paolo, Paul.

>Who the hell are Paolo and Paul?
>
>> He wants you to be there for him.

>Who are you talking about. It sounds like you think I'm gay. Sorry, so
>totally not. If THAT's what you're looking for, you're barking up the
>wrong tree.
>
>> SNAAAAAAAAAAAAARF

>What is that? You sound like a dog. And act like a dog that wants to
>keep following someone around and humping their leg.
>
>In which case:
>
>Beat it, mutt, before I call the pound.

You make very very sure they bring
you a very small dog, Paul These balls
of yours are not so huge a feed for
a dachshund!

PML

You are a ****ed duck, Paul.

--

Steve - peeling open the mad kanuck's scrotum

What the **** is that? Your newsreader broken, dipshit?

> You make very very sure they bring
> you a very small dog, Paul These balls
> of yours are not so huge a feed for
> a dachshund!

Threats? If I ever see Paul I'll make sure to let him know about them.
Maybe you'll get lucky and he won't press charges. At least now you seem
to have gotten yourself your own handle, Mr. Erwin.

What the **** does that mean, Mr. Erwin?

> You are a ****ed duck, Paul.

Who is Paul and why are you obsessed with him, and why do you keep
making these garbled, irrelevant followups to my posts?

blmblm@myrealbox.com

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Gene Wirchenko <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 6 Jul 2011 16:59:57 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >Gene seems to be saying elsethread that in his real code he might
> >be initializing from something that isn't in order. But assuming he

> Yup.
>
> >could put it in order before initializing the set, then yes, it seems

> Why bother? SortedSet does the work for me.

If you care enough about performance to have put some effort
into benchmarking various approaches, I'd have thought you'd be
interested in one that seems to be significantly faster and almost
as simple to set up and use. (Probably -- I guess it depends on
how, in your real code, you'll be initializing the set.)

I'm not unsympathetic, though, to a desire to move on once
an acceptable solution has been found. "Just sayin'", maybe.

--
B. L. Massingill

blmblm@myrealbox.com

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Patricia Shanahan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 7/6/2011 4:52 PM,
> supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizeringe limatisticantations wrote:
> > The foreach syntax can also be used with arrays, including arrays of
> > unboxed primitives, even though using reflection on an array (e.g. (new
> > Object[3]).getClass().getInterfaces() only shows it implementing
> > Cloneable and Serializable, not Iterable.

> The JLS says that the enhanced for statement expression "must either
> have type Iterable or else it must be of an array type (10.1), or a
> compile-time error occurs."
>
> [http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/t....html#14.14.2]

Oh good -- someone else (two someone elses, between them) supplied
a better explanation than I did of the circumstances in which the
"foreach" syntax can be used. I wanted to mention it in case it
was of interest to Gene but was too lazy to do a proper job of
describing it.

--
B. L. Massingill

Gene Wirchenko

On 8 Jul 2011 17:44:16 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Gene Wirchenko <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 6 Jul 2011 16:59:57 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> >Gene seems to be saying elsethread that in his real code he might
>> >be initializing from something that isn't in order. But assuming he

>> Yup.
>>
>> >could put it in order before initializing the set, then yes, it seems

>> Why bother? SortedSet does the work for me.

>If you care enough about performance to have put some effort
>into benchmarking various approaches, I'd have thought you'd be
>interested in one that seems to be significantly faster and almost
>as simple to set up and use. (Probably -- I guess it depends on
>how, in your real code, you'll be initializing the set.)

But why should I write code to sort something when SortedSet will
do it for me? Plus, if I output the contents of the set, having it in
sorted order makes more sense.

Remember that I am learning my way around Java. You may already
know how to do it quickly. For me, it would be another thing to find
and figure out. In time, in time.

>I'm not unsympathetic, though, to a desire to move on once
>an acceptable solution has been found. "Just sayin'", maybe.

Micro-optimisation is a nasty sin.

[snip]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

blmblm@myrealbox.com

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Gene Wirchenko <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 8 Jul 2011 17:44:16 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> >Gene Wirchenko <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> On 6 Jul 2011 16:59:57 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)
> >> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>
> >> [snip]

> >> Yup.

> >> Why bother? SortedSet does the work for me.

> >If you care enough about performance to have put some effort
> >into benchmarking various approaches, I'd have thought you'd be
> >interested in one that seems to be significantly faster and almost
> >as simple to set up and use. (Probably -- I guess it depends on
> >how, in your real code, you'll be initializing the set.)

> But why should I write code to sort something when SortedSet will
> do it for me? Plus, if I output the contents of the set, having it in
> sorted order makes more sense.
>
> Remember that I am learning my way around Java. You may already
> know how to do it quickly. For me, it would be another thing to find
> and figure out. In time, in time.
>
> >I'm not unsympathetic, though, to a desire to move on once
> >an acceptable solution has been found. "Just sayin'", maybe.

> Micro-optimisation is a nasty sin.

Yeah, yeah .... I guess it just seems strange to me that you went to
all the trouble of writing code to benchmark various approaches --
suggesting that sometimes you *do* engage in micro-optimization --
but are resistant to trying one more approach that (in my tests
anyway) sometimes reduced execution time by almost 50%. Just sayin',
"whatever", .... ?

--
B. L. Massingill

Gene Wirchenko

On 10 Jul 2011 19:08:40 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Gene Wirchenko <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]

>> Micro-optimisation is a nasty sin.

>Yeah, yeah .... I guess it just seems strange to me that you went to
>all the trouble of writing code to benchmark various approaches --
>suggesting that sometimes you *do* engage in micro-optimization --
>but are resistant to trying one more approach that (in my tests
>anyway) sometimes reduced execution time by almost 50%. Just sayin',
>"whatever", .... ?

It should be obvious to you why someone might do that.

The part that I was benchmarking is critical to my program. It
is repeatedly used since it is called for every non-newline character
in a file. Initialising a set of characters does not happen nearly so
often.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko