Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Why "lock" functionality is introduced for all the objects?

Reply
Thread Tools

Why "lock" functionality is introduced for all the objects?

 
 
Steve Erwin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2011
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Steve Erwin <trollHunter@Usenet.4.usenetizens.org.invalid> wrote:

[cut]
>> Today it maybe a tad foolish to be publishing a valid
>> email addy in a "From".

>
>I set it up that way initially because the news server
>I use required a valid address.
>

.... many factors feed into which server to use where.
Seems you came, sat, and are happy, right?

>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx I think they've changed
>their policy, but since the e-mail address I use here is
>basically a spamcatcher, I'm not strongly motivated to
>try to disguise it.
>

mmm.. as a programmer have you ever studied any network
influences resulting from, let's say, 'poor' practices
of software, any software, like? I see any influence
over html as "software".
Just so as you might see my thrust

>> Spam might not worry you
>> yourself (many peeps are setup very well to deny Spam
>> to their boxen) but it does contribute to "network
>> overload/stress" when the spamBots start searching for
>> a home for something that appears valid.
>> Adding "SPAM" anywhere in an email address no longer
>> works as a "deSpam", the bots are onto it.
>> AFAIK.. "invalid" or "null" are the only 'tags' that
>> render a modern email address useless to spamBots.

>
>Eh, that's a good point. Hm. On the minus side, it does
>somewhat inconvenience anyone who wants to reply by mail.
>Then again, so few people have done so over the years (at
>least, as far as I know) ....
>

Maybe your posts only attract the blind?
/grin

I do not do brail yet I could get mail to you in a
flash were your "From" to read;

"Massingill" <(E-Mail Removed)>

... not that I would mail a gMail address.. jes sayin'
like, I could


>Yes, quite. And that's okay with me -- since as best
>I can tell your suggestion would result in just the
>"(E-Mail Removed)" displaying, which I don't want.
>

Interesting.
Cos it i s now... look at the scr.sht.
What is the difference?

errr.
[thinking]
... the double quotes do not "list"
only the text. I think you guys call quotes "switches".
To me they are "wrapping tags".. but we live in
different worlds,, I think.. mheh heh

>> It will not appear in the list of poster's names.
>> This is how it *should* be.

>
>Maybe so. But in the case of my rather peculiar "name"
>I think it would result in something that might mislead
>people.
>

crikey.. heh.. you got problems, lady! 8->

They call me "latzferfukendinner"... or "Hey You"
and I don't see that harming none!
Mum knows when I am hungry, no misleading
there :->

>Of course I could pick a "name" that wasn't a now-obsolete
>e-mail address, but I started out using the address
>because I couldn't come up with a name I liked, and all
>these years later I still can't -- not to mention that
>there's the continuity issue.
>

oH there is that!!
It is sssooo important folks knows who we is on the
InnteeeNetz,, eh, muriel?

>> Even the most skilled troll makes mistakes.. mheh heh
>>
>> An' you aint no newbie

>
>Eh. I think I'll leave it alone for now. I suppose if
>there was a rash of posts agreeing with you I might change
>my mind. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>

You think anyone around here knows this stuff?
Really!?
Tell you what.. i f they did, not only would your name
have been changed/corrected waaaay back, but "we"Joe
Public types would have integrated seamless surfing of
pages like RS.com without having to jump through a
dozen friken hoops to get stuff working.
Take THAT to the bank!

>Thanks for the info anyway -- it *is* interesting
>

... no worries.

btw...
You know how I got onto Seamus's tail?
The guy could not find a +h sys file on his computer.
I can still hear him wailing to this day.
"I am telling you there is no such ****ing file on my
computer. It may well be on your ****ing computer but
it isn't on my ****ing computer and my ****ing computer
works, thank you so very ****ing much for your ****ing
no-help!"
Yeh, true!
This from a guy with a BSc in computer science, so he
says, and a whole list of languages under his belt.
Didn't even have a CLUE about +rash

nup.. sorry, got no time for the education of those who
believe a whole bunch of leaping flashing icons is
great for the networks.

BuuuT I guess someone has to keep the unemployable
employed.. might as well be the likes of
Gates/Turner etal

The fact you are bothered to break thread, creating
a new topic, yet fixing your nym display isn't a big
deal to you... is very interesting. But I aint got the
time ..


cya 'roun

/0ff

--

Steve

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
blmblm@myrealbox.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2011
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Steve Erwin <trollHunter@Usenet.4.usenetizens.org.invalid> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> >Steve Erwin <trollHunter@Usenet.4.usenetizens.org.invalid> wrote:

> [cut]
> >> Today it maybe a tad foolish to be publishing a valid
> >> email addy in a "From".

> >
> >I set it up that way initially because the news server
> >I use required a valid address.
> >

> ... many factors feed into which server to use where.
> Seems you came, sat, and are happy, right?


Quite.

[ snip ]

> >Yes, quite. And that's okay with me -- since as best
> >I can tell your suggestion would result in just the
> >"(E-Mail Removed)" displaying, which I don't want.
> >

> Interesting.
> Cos it i s now... look at the scr.sht.
> What is the difference?


None. Why would there be a difference? I have not made
a change.

> errr.
> [thinking]
> .. the double quotes do not "list"
> only the text. I think you guys call quotes "switches".
> To me they are "wrapping tags".. but we live in
> different worlds,, I think.. mheh heh


Very possible (about different worlds), but if I had
to choose between those alternatives, "wrapping tags"
seems like a better fit than "switches" for text enclosed
in double quotes. I don't recognize the latter usage.
<shrug>

[ snip ]

> The fact you are bothered to break thread, creating
> a new topic, yet fixing your nym display isn't a big
> deal to you... is very interesting. But I aint got the
> time ..


"Break thread"? I'm following what I understood to be the
convention for signaling that the subject of a discussion
has changed without losing the connection to the previous
discussion: I changed the subject line to "$NEWTOPIC
(was $OLDTOPIC)" and included (or more properly "allowed
my newsreader to supply) a References header that links to
the replied-to post. I understood this to be considered
good Usenet etiquette. I guess mileage varies.

[ snip ]

--
B. L. Massingill
ObDisclaimer: I don't speak for my employers; they return the favor.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
lewbloch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2011
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Steve Erwin wrote:
>> ... [some weird stuff] ...

> [ snip ]
>> .. the double quotes do not "list"
>> only the text. I think you guys call quotes "switches".


Huh? Who guys? No one I know calls them that. We call them "double
quotes".

>> To me they are "wrapping tags".. but we live in
>> different worlds,, I think.. mheh heh

>


To the sane world, they're called "double quotes".

> Very possible (about different worlds), but if I had
> to choose between those alternatives, "wrapping tags"
> seems like a better fit than "switches" for text enclosed
> in double quotes. *I don't recognize the latter usage.
> <shrug>
>
> [ snip ]
>


>> The fact you are bothered to break thread, creating
>> a new topic, yet fixing your nym display isn't a big
>> deal to you... is very interesting. But I aint got the
>> time ..

>


There's nothing whatsoever wrong with her "nym display", as you are
pleased to call it. If you really didn't have the time to pursue this
meaningless and pointless complaint of yours, you'd've never pressed
"Send". Advice you should consider.

> "Break thread"? *I'm following what I understood to be the
> convention for signaling that the subject of a discussion
> has changed without losing the connection to the previous
> discussion: *I changed the subject line to "$NEWTOPIC
> (was $OLDTOPIC)" and included (or more properly "allowed
> my newsreader to supply) a References header that links to
> the replied-to post. *I understood this to be considered
> good Usenet etiquette. *I guess mileage varies.
>
> [ snip ]
>


BLM: You did the right thing. The troll to whom you responded has
some odd ideas, is all.

--
Lew
 
Reply With Quote
 
KitKat
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-09-2011
On 07/07/2011 5:34 PM, Steve Erwin wrote:
[snip long, non-Java-related, but mostly civil and constructive advice
on news config to blmblm]

> "Lamers" may be an exception, you could 'hear' a squeak
> from the likes of "Kit-Kat", well.. maybe not in the
> near future [cough] :->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


And here we have a gratuitous potshot buried in the middle. Aww, and
here I thought Erwin was maybe growing a social conscience. I guess not.
 
Reply With Quote
 
KitKat
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-09-2011
On 08/07/2011 3:41 PM, Steve Erwin wrote:
> btw...
> You know how I got onto Seamus's tail?


Who?

> The guy could not find a +h sys file on his computer.
> I can still hear him wailing to this day.
> "I am telling you there is no such ****ing file on my
> computer. It may well be on your ****ing computer but
> it isn't on my ****ing computer and my ****ing computer
> works, thank you so very ****ing much for your ****ing
> no-help!"
> Yeh, true!
> This from a guy with a BSc in computer science, so he
> says, and a whole list of languages under his belt.
> Didn't even have a CLUE about +rash


And what has this to do with Java?

> nup.. sorry, got no time for the education of those who
> believe a whole bunch of leaping flashing icons is
> great for the networks.


Well, blmblm is gonna love you then, since reading her past history here
it's clear she hates GUIs too, but you'll be in the minority.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve Erwin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2011
lewbloch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Steve Erwin wrote:


>>> The fact you are bothered to break thread, creating
>>> a new topic, yet fixing your nym display isn't a big
>>> deal to you... is very interesting. But I aint got the
>>> time ..

>>

>
>There's nothing whatsoever wrong with her "nym display", as you are
>pleased to call it. If you really didn't have the time to pursue this
>meaningless and pointless complaint of yours, you'd've never pressed
>"Send". Advice you should consider.
>

pkb... anyone?

>> "Break thread"? *I'm following what I understood to be the
>> convention for signaling that the subject of a discussion
>> has changed without losing the connection to the previous
>> discussion: *I changed the subject line to "$NEWTOPIC
>> (was $OLDTOPIC)" and included (or more properly "allowed
>> my newsreader to supply) a References header that links to
>> the replied-to post. *I understood this to be considered
>> good Usenet etiquette. *I guess mileage varies.
>>

My point - Ms Massingill - is, it is interesting you follow this
"rule of etiquette" yet ignore basic rules of network protocol
in tX'n an unkempt (shoddy - bogan) piece of bagatelle as
your "From". Small chops (as it is) it has certainly signaled to
Paul Derbyshire (lewbloch+KitKat) you are
"ripe for the ****ing with of".
However, as said, you have been informed. You make your
choice, as you will.

>> [ snip ]
>>

>
>BLM: You did the right thing. The troll to whom you responded has
>some odd ideas, is all.

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...l.com&safe=off
Results 1 - 21 of about 21 forauthor:(E-Mail Removed).

Hi Paul.. are you going for the high score in names
used per day?

Paul.
A troll does not upload tutorials for those quite
obviously spatially enhanced, as was admitted by
the OP..****twice****.
A troll does however single out the weakest link,
dress it up with a fine sauce, and consume it.

Your desire, Paul, is to equal the character
Hannibal Lecter in your own Usenet lifetime.
Just as zany as is that character, you - **** - will starve.
Seems to me the OP has some smarts at least.
Your responses, in both smoke-shapes remain
unattended.. bummer that<BSEG>

I note you find "lew" and "gene bloch" as equal a
challenge as I.
There is value in that, for myself.

[cough]
There is a very interesting email doing the rounds
of the Mushroom Observer mailing list.
Best you rush off and attend to that?

--

Steve
 
Reply With Quote
 
blmblm@myrealbox.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2011
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Steve Erwin <trollHunter@Usenet.4.usenetizens.org.invalid> wrote:
> lewbloch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >> Steve Erwin wrote:

>
> >>> The fact you are bothered to break thread, creating
> >>> a new topic, yet fixing your nym display isn't a big
> >>> deal to you... is very interesting. But I aint got the
> >>> time ..
> >>

> >
> >There's nothing whatsoever wrong with her "nym display", as you are
> >pleased to call it. If you really didn't have the time to pursue this
> >meaningless and pointless complaint of yours, you'd've never pressed
> >"Send". Advice you should consider.
> >

> pkb... anyone?
>
> >> "Break thread"? I'm following what I understood to be the
> >> convention for signaling that the subject of a discussion
> >> has changed without losing the connection to the previous
> >> discussion: I changed the subject line to "$NEWTOPIC
> >> (was $OLDTOPIC)" and included (or more properly "allowed
> >> my newsreader to supply) a References header that links to
> >> the replied-to post. I understood this to be considered
> >> good Usenet etiquette. I guess mileage varies.
> >>

> My point - Ms Massingill - is, it is interesting you follow this
> "rule of etiquette" yet ignore basic rules of network protocol
> in tX'n an unkempt (shoddy - bogan)


Could you try that again in something more closely resembling
standard English .... Nah, I probably get enough of the intended
meaning.

> piece of bagatelle as
> your "From". Small chops (as it is) it has certainly signaled to
> Paul Derbyshire (lewbloch+KitKat)


Are you seriously suggesting that both of these posters are Mr.
Derbyshire in disguise? That would surprise me very much in the
case of the person who posts as Lew Bloch. I've been following
this group for several years, and -- I'm skeptical. <shrug>

> you are
> "ripe for the ****ing with of".


I guess it's possible, but really, didn't *I* start this particular
exchange by involving myself in the "names ending in 'a' are
feminine" subthread? foolishly, no doubt, but "yeah well".

Also, if your theory about real identities is correct, there may
be a history -- but that's all I'm going to say about that.

> However, as said, you have been informed. You make your
> choice, as you will.


[ snip ]

--
B. L. Massingill
ObDisclaimer: I don't speak for my employers; they return the favor.
 
Reply With Quote
 
KitKat
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2011
On 10/07/2011 1:50 AM, Steve Erwin wrote:
> lewbloch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> There's nothing whatsoever wrong with her "nym display", as you are
>> pleased to call it. If you really didn't have the time to pursue this
>> meaningless and pointless complaint of yours, you'd've never pressed
>> "Send". Advice you should consider.

>
> pkb... anyone?


Hardly. Lew is one of the "respected elders" in this newsgroup, you
clueless newbie.

> My point - Ms Massingill - is, it is interesting you follow this
> "rule of etiquette" yet ignore basic rules of network protocol
> in tX'n an unkempt (shoddy - bogan) piece of bagatelle as
> your "From". Small chops (as it is) it has certainly signaled to
> Paul (lewbloch+KitKat) you are "ripe for the ****ing with of".


What? Now you're conflating my identity with Lew's, and some other guy's?

You really are quite mad.

> Hi Paul.. are you going for the high score in names
> used per day?


Talking to imaginary friends in public, if not still a single-digit age,
is generally considered a sign of severe mental illness.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Arne Vajhøj
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2011
On 6/30/2011 6:04 PM, Tom Anderson wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2011, Alex J wrote:
>
>> I'm curious why Java designers once decided to allow every object to
>> be lockable (i.e. allow using lock on those). I know, that out of such
>> a design decision every Java object contain lock index, i.e. new
>> Object() results in allocation of at least 8 bytes where 4 bytes is
>> object index and 4 bytes is lock index on 32- bit JVM.

>
> That's not quite right. In the olden days, it's true that every object
> header contained room for a lock pointer - but back then, that meant
> that every header was *three* words (12 bytes), not two. Two words were
> needed for the header (one for a vtable pointer, one for various other
> things), and the third was for the lock.
>
> What happened then was that a very clever chap called David Bacon, who
> worked for IBM, invented a thing called a thin lock:
>
> http://www.research.ibm.com/people/d...ml#Bacon98Thin
>
> Which was subsequently improved by another clever chap called Tamiya
> Onodera into a thing called a tasuki lock, which you don't hear so much
> about.
>
> The details are described quite clearly in the papers, but the upshot is
> that an object is created with neither a lock nor a slot for a lock
> pointer (and so only a two-word header), and the lock is allocated only
> when needed, and then wired in. Some fancy footwork means that the
> object doesn't need to grow a pointer when this happens; the header
> remains two words, at the expense of some slight awkwardness elsewhere.
> Some even fancier footwork means that if only one thread locks the
> object at a time (a very common pattern), then a lock doesn't even need
> to be allocated.


Remember to distinguish between Java (as in JLS and JVM spec) and
a specific Java implementation.

Arne

 
Reply With Quote
 
Arne Vajhøj
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2011
On 6/30/2011 6:04 PM, Tom Anderson wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2011, Alex J wrote:
>> The better decision, IMHO, would be to introduce lock/wait mechanics
>> for only, say, the Lockable descendants.

>
> I agree with this, actually. There might be some small performance
> improvement, but it would also make the locking behaviour of code more
> explicit, and so clearer.


Given that Java does not allow multiple inheritance then that would
have been tough restriction.

Arne


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
findcontrol("PlaceHolderPrice") why why why why why why why why why why why Mr. SweatyFinger ASP .Net 2 12-02-2006 03:46 PM
Server 2003 SP1 introduced "enableBestFitResponseEncoding" setting =?Utf-8?B?VG9yc3RlbiBTdHVybQ==?= ASP .Net 0 08-31-2005 12:57 PM
Change in config on 1700 when firewall is introduced - HELP! Kapamarou Cisco 0 12-29-2003 05:40 PM
weird white space being introduced into <td> neverstill ASP .Net 1 12-05-2003 06:12 PM
New Exam Question Types and Testlet Exam Format to Be Introduced Petter Børkeeiet MCSE 1 09-18-2003 02:02 PM



Advertisments