Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Ebay polarizing filters - are they really awful?

Ebay polarizing filters - are they really awful?

Peabody

I forgot to say that this CPL costs about 1.333 stops on average.
I assume that's pretty much normal. So it can act like a modest ND
filter, which can be useful outside even if polarizing isn't
needed.

And one cool polarizing demo is to look at your LCD display through
the CPL. If you turn it to the right position, the display goes
completely dark.

I can't tell about the coating or multicoating. Don't know how you
would tell.

Anyway, for my limited needs for a CPL, this one is plenty good.

Peabody

Neil Harrington says...

> Look at the reflections, for example with the polarizer
> angled so that the reflection of a window (from inside
> the house) or lamp appears in it. If the reflection
> seems to be about what you'd see from ordinary plate
> glass, it's not coated.

But Neil, it says on the box that it's "digital
multi-coated." Seriously.

Well, the reflections look pretty much the same as plate
glass, except they are a bit darker, and actually sharper.

Maybe if the multi-coating were analog....

Well, for $5.76, I think it's not a bad buy.

J. Clarke

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, waybackNO784SPAM44
@yahoo.com says...

> Neil Harrington says...
>
> > Look at the reflections, for example with the polarizer
> > angled so that the reflection of a window (from inside
> > the house) or lamp appears in it. If the reflection
> > seems to be about what you'd see from ordinary plate
> > glass, it's not coated.

> But Neil, it says on the box that it's "digital
> multi-coated." Seriously.
>
> Well, the reflections look pretty much the same as plate
> glass, except they are a bit darker, and actually sharper.
>
> Maybe if the multi-coating were analog....
>
> Well, for $5.76, I think it's not a bad buy.

I wouldn't worry overly much about coatings on a polarizer. Their main
purpose is to avoid light loss by reflection (matters when you have as
many air to glass surfaces as are encountered in most modern zooms)--if
you care about that you probably wouldn't be using a polarizer to begin
with.