Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > message from yahoo?

Reply
Thread Tools

message from yahoo?

 
 
Geopelia
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2011
Is this message from Yahoo? I suspect spam of course as they ask for my
password. But with the upgrade, I am not sure of that. Could someone please
advise?

email message -
.....................................
You are receiving this message because you or someone tried to access your
account from an unknown computer or mobile device. Numerous invalid
passwords were logged and we are poised to open an investigation to this
matter.

Kindly reply to this message with the following data:

Your Yahoo!Xtra Email Address
Your Yahoo!Xtra Password
Address on file for this account

Your account will be deactivated if you do not comply with this validation
process.

Thanks,
Yahoo!Xtra Customer Service
.................................................. ....

Geopelia


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Donchano
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2011

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 15:13:15 +1200, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>Is this message from Yahoo? I suspect spam of course as they ask for my
>password. But with the upgrade, I am not sure of that. Could someone please
>advise?
>
>email message -
>....................................
>You are receiving this message because you or someone tried to access your
>account from an unknown computer or mobile device. Numerous invalid
>passwords were logged and we are poised to open an investigation to this
>matter.
>
>Kindly reply to this message with the following data:
>
>Your Yahoo!Xtra Email Address
>Your Yahoo!Xtra Password
>Address on file for this account
>
>Your account will be deactivated if you do not comply with this validation
>process.
>
>Thanks,
>Yahoo!Xtra Customer Service
>................................................. ....
>
>Geopelia
>


Presumably the email provided you with a link. Have you put your mouse
cursor over the link to see the URL it points to? Either that or right
click on the link, copy it and paste it into a text reader.

If the link doesn't point directly to your Yahoo account log-in page
then it's a phishing attempt. If it does, you should still avoid
opening a link in an email like this and log-in to your Yahoo account
from your browser as you normally would.

If you're with Xtra, another option would be to phone their helpdesk
and ask if the email is legitimate.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Geopelia
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2011

"Donchano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 15:13:15 +1200, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>>Is this message from Yahoo? I suspect spam of course as they ask for my
>>password. But with the upgrade, I am not sure of that. Could someone
>>please
>>advise?
>>
>>email message -
>>....................................
>>You are receiving this message because you or someone tried to access your
>>account from an unknown computer or mobile device. Numerous invalid
>>passwords were logged and we are poised to open an investigation to this
>>matter.
>>
>>Kindly reply to this message with the following data:
>>
>>Your Yahoo!Xtra Email Address
>>Your Yahoo!Xtra Password
>>Address on file for this account
>>
>>Your account will be deactivated if you do not comply with this validation
>>process.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Yahoo!Xtra Customer Service
>>................................................ .....
>>
>>Geopelia
>>

>
> Presumably the email provided you with a link. Have you put your mouse
> cursor over the link to see the URL it points to? Either that or right
> click on the link, copy it and paste it into a text reader.
>
> If the link doesn't point directly to your Yahoo account log-in page
> then it's a phishing attempt. If it does, you should still avoid
> opening a link in an email like this and log-in to your Yahoo account
> from your browser as you normally would.
>
> If you're with Xtra, another option would be to phone their helpdesk
> and ask if the email is legitimate.
>


Thank you.

Do you mean the email address it was sent from? http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

I can't see any other thing that could be a link.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2011
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 15:30:16 +1200, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>

(snip)
>>I can't see any other thing that could be a link.

>
>A link is a word or phrase that will open a webpage. Look for a word
>or phrase that is underlined. Or one where your mouse cursor changes
>from an arrow (or whatever) into a hand (or whatever). The email might
>say s


Assuming the email was sent in html, a sometimes useful trick is to right
click on the email and choose 'view source'. That let's you see exactly
what's in the message ... though sometimes it can be rather more than you
want to know.Nothing is, however, hidden at that point.

And as others have said, if there's a link in an email (something that says
'click here' or 'reply here' or lights up when your cursor moves over it)
purporting to be from an organisation wanting something 'confirmed'
(particularly anything with passwords), bin it.

HTH


 
Reply With Quote
 
Donchano
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2011

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 15:30:16 +1200, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>
>"Donchano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 15:13:15 +1200, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>>
>>>Is this message from Yahoo? I suspect spam of course as they ask for my
>>>password. But with the upgrade, I am not sure of that. Could someone
>>>please
>>>advise?
>>>
>>>email message -
>>>....................................
>>>You are receiving this message because you or someone tried to access your
>>>account from an unknown computer or mobile device. Numerous invalid
>>>passwords were logged and we are poised to open an investigation to this
>>>matter.
>>>
>>>Kindly reply to this message with the following data:
>>>
>>>Your Yahoo!Xtra Email Address
>>>Your Yahoo!Xtra Password
>>>Address on file for this account
>>>
>>>Your account will be deactivated if you do not comply with this validation
>>>process.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Yahoo!Xtra Customer Service
>>>............................................... ......
>>>
>>>Geopelia
>>>

>>
>> Presumably the email provided you with a link. Have you put your mouse
>> cursor over the link to see the URL it points to? Either that or right
>> click on the link, copy it and paste it into a text reader.
>>
>> If the link doesn't point directly to your Yahoo account log-in page
>> then it's a phishing attempt. If it does, you should still avoid
>> opening a link in an email like this and log-in to your Yahoo account
>> from your browser as you normally would.
>>
>> If you're with Xtra, another option would be to phone their helpdesk
>> and ask if the email is legitimate.
>>

>
>Thank you.
>
>Do you mean the email address it was sent from? (E-Mail Removed)


No. The domain (nz.yahoo.com) is legitimate, but if you reply to
(E-Mail Removed) the email will bounce. Did the email provide
another email address to reply to? Or an email link???

>I can't see any other thing that could be a link.


A link is a word or phrase that will open a webpage. Look for a word
or phrase that is underlined. Or one where your mouse cursor changes
from an arrow (or whatever) into a hand (or whatever). The email might
say s

A phishing attempt almost always contains a link in the email. That's
the link you click on to go to the page they want you to go to. In a
legitimate email that would be your Yahoo/Xtra log-in page. In a
phishing attempt it would be a webpage that looks legitimate, but
isn't.

I can't imagine Yahoo-Xtra asking for you to confirm an email address
they obviously already have. Nor can I imagine them EVER asking for
your password or your address.

So I would still recommend that you phone the Xtra helpdesk and ask
rather than comply with this strange demand.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Donchano
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2011

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 16:14:21 +1200, "WorkHard" <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>Geopelia wrote:
>> "Donchano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 15:13:15 +1200, "Geopelia"
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>>>
>>>> Is this message from Yahoo? I suspect spam of course as
>>>> they ask
>>>> for my password. But with the upgrade, I am not sure of that.
>>>> Could
>>>> someone please
>>>> advise?
>>>>
>>>> email message -
>>>> ....................................
>>>> You are receiving this message because you or someone tried
>>>> to
>>>> access your account from an unknown computer or mobile
>>>> device.
>>>> Numerous invalid passwords were logged and we are poised to
>>>> open an
>>>> investigation to this matter.
>>>>
>>>> Kindly reply to this message with the following data:
>>>>
>>>> Your Yahoo!Xtra Email Address
>>>> Your Yahoo!Xtra Password
>>>> Address on file for this account
>>>>
>>>> Your account will be deactivated if you do not comply with
>>>> this
>>>> validation process.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Yahoo!Xtra Customer Service
>>>> .................................................. ...
>>>>
>>>> Geopelia
>>>>
>>>
>>> Presumably the email provided you with a link. Have you put
>>> your
>>> mouse cursor over the link to see the URL it points to? Either
>>> that
>>> or right click on the link, copy it and paste it into a text
>>> reader.
>>>
>>> If the link doesn't point directly to your Yahoo account
>>> log-in page
>>> then it's a phishing attempt. If it does, you should still
>>> avoid
>>> opening a link in an email like this and log-in to your Yahoo
>>> account
>>> from your browser as you normally would.
>>>
>>> If you're with Xtra, another option would be to phone their
>>> helpdesk
>>> and ask if the email is legitimate.
>>>

>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Do you mean the email address it was sent from?
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>> I can't see any other thing that could be a link.

>
>There are ways to make links look different from what they
>actually are and where they go to.
>
>Just NEVER respond to any such emails at all. Don't answer them,
>don't click links in them.


I agree. Never respond to such emails. But right clicking on a link
and copying it is a safe way to find out the URL the link points to.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Geopelia
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2011

"WorkHard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Geopelia wrote:
>> Is this message from Yahoo? I suspect spam of course as they ask
>> for my password. But with the upgrade, I am not sure of that. Could
>> someone please advise?

>
> NEVER NEVER NEVER
>
> Don't ever give those details, or your personal details in response to any
> email... or phone call for that matter.
>
> NRVER NEVER NEVER!
>


Thanks to all. So as I suspected, it is spam. I'll delete it.

Geopelia



 
Reply With Quote
 
Donchano
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2011

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 16:50:38 +1200, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>
>"WorkHard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed) m...
>> Geopelia wrote:
>>> Is this message from Yahoo? I suspect spam of course as they ask
>>> for my password. But with the upgrade, I am not sure of that. Could
>>> someone please advise?

>>
>> NEVER NEVER NEVER
>>
>> Don't ever give those details, or your personal details in response to any
>> email... or phone call for that matter.
>>
>> NRVER NEVER NEVER!
>>

>
>Thanks to all. So as I suspected, it is spam. I'll delete it.
>
>Geopelia


Did you phone Xtra's helpdesk?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ralph Fox
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2011
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 15:30:16 +1200, in message <iu8tgd$crn$(E-Mail Removed)>
Geopelia wrote:
> "Donchano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 15:13:15 +1200, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>>
>>
>>> Is this message from Yahoo? I suspect spam of course as they ask for my
>>> password.


Indeed. It is a scam.

>>> But with the upgrade, I am not sure of that. Could someone
>>> please
>>> advise?
>>>
>>> email message -
>>> ....................................
>>> You are receiving this message because you or someone tried to access your
>>> account from an unknown computer or mobile device. Numerous invalid
>>> passwords were logged and we are poised to open an investigation to this
>>> matter.
>>>
>>> Kindly reply to this message with the following data:
>>>
>>> Your Yahoo!Xtra Email Address
>>> Your Yahoo!Xtra Password


Yeah, right!


>>> Address on file for this account
>>>
>>> Your account will be deactivated if you do not comply with this validation
>>> process.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Yahoo!Xtra Customer Service


FYI the real Yahoo!Xtra has already changed its name to Yahoo New Zealand.
http://nz.docs.yahoo.com/faq/


>>> .................................................. ...
>>>
>>> Geopelia
>>>

>>
>> Presumably the email provided you with a link. Have you put your mouse
>> cursor over the link to see the URL it points to? Either that or right
>> click on the link, copy it and paste it into a text reader.
>>
>> If the link doesn't point directly to your Yahoo account log-in page
>> then it's a phishing attempt. If it does, you should still avoid
>> opening a link in an email like this and log-in to your Yahoo account
>> from your browser as you normally would.
>>
>> If you're with Xtra, another option would be to phone their helpdesk
>> and ask if the email is legitimate.
>>

>
> Thank you.
>
> Do you mean the email address it was sent from? (E-Mail Removed)
>
> I can't see any other thing that could be a link.



Do the email headers also have a Reply-To address?


--
Kind regards
Ralph


 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2011
On 6/27/2011 4:52 PM, Donchano wrote:
>


> Did you phone Xtra's helpdesk?


WHy? So that their time can be wasted as well?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunderbird - message exceeds the Maximum Message Size? Gerry Firefox 0 02-18-2005 06:39 PM
Error message different than Context.Server.GetLastError.Message tshad ASP .Net 0 01-27-2005 06:38 PM
New OWA message and Modify body of Message - Steve - ASP .Net 0 07-06-2004 04:54 AM
Size of e-mail message - message.Body = msgText =?Utf-8?B?bWc=?= ASP .Net 1 02-11-2004 07:42 PM
Combining message.BodyFormat = MailFormat.Html & message.BodyFormat = MailFormat.Text =?Utf-8?B?bWc=?= ASP .Net 1 02-08-2004 10:43 PM



Advertisments