Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Multiple SIP Clients?

Multiple SIP Clients?

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Anthony R. Gold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 10:00:54 +0000 (UTC), Roger Burton West
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Anthony R. Gold wrote:
>>
>>> What equipment is suitable for receiving incoming calls from multiple service
>>> providers?

>> Don't use an appliance, use a proper computer as your proxy. Asterisk
>> and its open-source competition can all trivially do what's needed, and
>> forward calls to your actual SIP devices.

>I believe would be neither suitable nor safe. I travel a great deal and, even
>if I was willing to learn enough to install and configure such I system, I
>could never allow all of my incoming phone calls to depend on the good
>behaviour of a PC and its Internet access when those are installed many
>thousands of miles away. I might consider using a hosted service, but I hope
>that will not be necessary for my very simple needs. An appliance will be
>just fine thanks.

So what do you call a small box, fanless, diskless, that boots Linux
and runs Asterisk... I call them appliances

They should be no less (or more) reliable than a modern router - which
these days often runs Linux too...

The "iffy" bit is more like the ADSL line you put them behind. Mines
just been offline for 4 days due to BTs incompetence )-:

Gordon

Roger

On 04/07/2011 11:21, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 10:00:54 +0000 (UTC), Roger Burton West
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Anthony R. Gold wrote:
>>
>>> What equipment is suitable for receiving incoming calls from multiple service
>>> providers?

>> Don't use an appliance, use a proper computer as your proxy. Asterisk
>> and its open-source competition can all trivially do what's needed, and
>> forward calls to your actual SIP devices.

> I believe would be neither suitable nor safe. I travel a great deal and, even
> if I was willing to learn enough to install and configure such I system, I
> could never allow all of my incoming phone calls to depend on the good
> behaviour of a PC and its Internet access when those are installed many
> thousands of miles away. I might consider using a hosted service, but I hope
> that will not be necessary for my very simple needs. An appliance will be
> just fine thanks.

Anthony
I ditched my SPA3102 because of the echo issues and bought a Fritzbox -
best move I ever made regarding VOIP - its simple to set up and can
register 6 (I think - I've got 3 set up at the moment) different
accounts plus the landline. You set up one as the default (landline or
one of the VOIP accounts) and can set up simple dialling rules for
chosing providers e.g. all calls starting 07 go via the best VOIP
provider for mobiles. You can also dial an access number to use a
particular account. A call into any account will make the phones ring if
its configured to (you can also specify certain accounts not to ring the
phones)

Dial plans and config arent as detailed as the SPAs but to be honest I
think they went a bit too far anyway.

I still use an SPA1001 as well which does have 2 accounts registered to
it on one phone.Not sure if you can still buy these or not.
Roger.

Anthony R. Gold

On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 21:40:45 +0100, Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I ditched my SPA3102 because of the echo issues and bought a Fritzbox -
> best move I ever made regarding VOIP - its simple to set up and can
> register 6 (I think - I've got 3 set up at the moment) different
> accounts plus the landline. You set up one as the default (landline or
> one of the VOIP accounts) and can set up simple dialling rules for
> chosing providers e.g. all calls starting 07 go via the best VOIP
> provider for mobiles. You can also dial an access number to use a
> particular account. A call into any account will make the phones ring if
> its configured to (you can also specify certain accounts not to ring the
> phones)
>
> Dial plans and config arent as detailed as the SPAs but to be honest I
> think they went a bit too far anyway.
>
> I still use an SPA1001 as well which does have 2 accounts registered to
> it on one phone.Not sure if you can still buy these or not.

Thanks Roger.

I'd not heard about echo problems with SPA3102 and I've not experienced any
such problems myself. My device is using software v3.3.6. I see on the Cisco
site both this one and also one called v5.1.10 and I do not know the
differences between them http://tinyurl.com/5tdfqj6 but the lower number
appears to have the later date.

My question is not about being able to dial out through a number of proxy
servers using dialing rules but about receiving incoming calls from multiple
service providers. The only hardware device with which I have any knowledge
is this SPA3102 and so I know I could solve my problem with an array of
these, using one per incoming provider/phone number. But I am looking for a
device that can be simultaneously registered with a number of providers and
will ring if and when an incoming call is offered by any of them. Does the
SPA1001 accept calls from two providers simultaneously, and does the Fritzbox
do the same from even more?

I'm fumbling over the terms because I do not know how this capability of
being register, alert and available to accept incoming calls is named or
described by equipment vendors.

Anthony R. Gold

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 22:11:26 +0100, "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've lost track of what's been discussed in the two current threads but I just
> want to check that you haven't overlooked a solution that requires nether
> additional hardware nor services.
> I have just refined my arrangement slightly and tested the following, so I know it works.
>
> My ATA only handles a single SIP account (OK it's a PAP2 so it handles two,
> but the second account is for all intents and purposes a separate ATA with a separate phone).

So the PAP2 will work with two simultaneous incoming services? Great! I
believe what I am looking for is something similar but scaled ever further to
perhaps 4 or 5 ATAs and perhaps with separate phones or shared phones.

> The account details are for Betamax, smartvoip.com. My outgoing calls go via this service.
>
> Incoming calls are via ukddi.com I have a block of ten consecutive 0161 numbers one (or more if I want)
> points to my phone with a URI constructed thus:
>
> Other varients also work
> smartvoip_account_name@my_ip_address
>
> or, as my IP changes once in a while
> smartvoip_account_name@my_dyndns_name.dyndns.org
>
> I also have a Washington State number from IPKall that does the same thing.

That was not clear to me.

Okay on receiving calls to the 0161 numbers from smartvoip, and I presume
those come through half of your PAP2. But how are you receiving the calls
made to the IPKall number? Will IPKall also direct their calls to that same
smartvoip account and server? And if you also wanted to receive calls on
VOIPCheap and sipgate numbers, how could you handle them?

Bob Eager

On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 22:55:47 +0100, Anthony R. Gold wrote:

> My question is not about being able to dial out through a number of
> proxy servers using dialing rules but about receiving incoming calls
> from multiple service providers. The only hardware device with which I
> have any knowledge is this SPA3102 and so I know I could solve my
> problem with an array of these, using one per incoming provider/phone
> number. But I am looking for a device that can be simultaneously
> registered with a number of providers and will ring if and when an
> incoming call is offered by any of them.

Yes, understand that.

> I'm fumbling over the terms because I do not know how this capability of
> being register, alert and available to accept incoming calls is named or
> described by equipment vendors.

I think your terminology isn't far off, and quite clear.

Going back to the Asterisk box, that has no effective limit on the number
of registrations. I have six on mine, and a block of DDIs that come in
and are nicely separated. I also having incoming analogue on it, and that
too is separated. I can call out on any of them. It's certainly worth
considering.

The weakest point probably isn't the Asterisk box, but your phone line.
If that goes, you lose phone service. No different to a conventional
line, really!

(I don't actually have any IP phones, but I have an SPA2000 and an
SPA8000 hooked into the house phone wiring).

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

David Woolley

Anthony R. Gold wrote:

> these, using one per incoming provider/phone number. But I am looking for a
> device that can be simultaneously registered with a number of providers and
> will ring if and when an incoming call is offered by any of them. Does the

Most, if not all devices will do that. Your problem is not receiving
calls from multiple clients, but rather registering with multiple clients.

Anthony R. Gold

On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 07:48:34 +0100, David Woolley
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anthony R. Gold wrote:
>
>> these, using one per incoming provider/phone number. But I am looking for a
>> device that can be simultaneously registered with a number of providers and
>> will ring if and when an incoming call is offered by any of them. Does the

> Most, if not all devices will do that. Your problem is not receiving
> calls from multiple clients, but rather registering with multiple clients.

Okay, I'm happy to accept the word client. Is there any available equipment
that will allow multiple (say 4 to 6) clients to register with servers in
order to be offered incoming calls? I believe my SPA3102 can register only
one and I understood Graham to say that his PAP2 could register two.

Roger Burton West

Anthony R. Gold wrote:

>Okay, I'm happy to accept the word client. Is there any available equipment
>that will allow multiple (say 4 to 6) clients to register with servers in
>order to be offered incoming calls? I believe my SPA3102 can register only
>one and I understood Graham to say that his PAP2 could register two.

This is _why_ I've been harping on about taking an open-source
approach - I know, but please bear with me. If you buy a packaged
solution, the people who made it were thinking about up-selling, so
it'll be set up to be just barely capable of what the average consumer
wants - and if you want something more complex, why, they'll sell you a
more expensive box to do that. (Cisco in particular love to do this with
their routers.)

If - and I grant you it's not a universal condition - you are a
minimally-competent Linux sysadmin, the only practical difference
between having a Cisco/Linksys box (the modern ones run Linux
internally, but you can't get at it) and a "proper" Linux machine with
an FXO card in it is that the latter isn't subject to these
marketing-based restrictions - you can do whatever you like with it.

Anthony R. Gold

On Tue, 5 Jul 2011 08:21:10 +0000 (UTC), Roger Burton West
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anthony R. Gold wrote:
>
>> Okay, I'm happy to accept the word client. Is there any available equipment
>> that will allow multiple (say 4 to 6) clients to register with servers in
>> order to be offered incoming calls? I believe my SPA3102 can register only
>> one and I understood Graham to say that his PAP2 could register two.

> This is _why_ I've been harping on about taking an open-source
> approach - I know, but please bear with me. If you buy a packaged
> solution, the people who made it were thinking about up-selling, so
> it'll be set up to be just barely capable of what the average consumer
> wants - and if you want something more complex, why, they'll sell you a
> more expensive box to do that. (Cisco in particular love to do this with
> their routers.)
>
> If - and I grant you it's not a universal condition - you are a
> minimally-competent Linux sysadmin, the only practical difference
> between having a Cisco/Linksys box (the modern ones run Linux
> internally, but you can't get at it) and a "proper" Linux machine with
> an FXO card in it is that the latter isn't subject to these
> marketing-based restrictions - you can do whatever you like with it.

Far from being a minimally-competent Linux sysadmin, I am not even a totally
incompetent Linux end user. I have plenty of Linux devices including routers,
GPS sets, TV PVRs and satellite receivers and would be happy to consider
buying an Asterisk appliance if one was available and could fulfil my needs.

Anthony R. Gold

On Tue, 5 Jul 2011 10:14:35 +0100, "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I use a DrayTek Vigor2820Vn (V=VoIP, n=wireless n) which handles/registers
> upto 12 SIP accounts for both incoming and outgoing calls (although only 2
> simultaneous SIP/VoIP calls can take place due to there being 2 physical
> ports).

Many thanks. I use both 2820 and 2920 (non-modem) routers in different
locations for their dual WAN capabilities. Upgrading to VOIP versions may
answer my needs if I can't find the capability in cheaper add-on equipment.