Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Re: Who is the biggest internet phone company in the world?

Re: Who is the biggest internet phone company in the world?

Andrew Benham

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 19:23:10 -0500, phonepro wrote:

> What type of company is skype then? Internet messaging?

Skype go to great lengths to point out that they are not
a telephone company. If they were a telephone company, they
would have been hit by fines for refusing to abide by Ofcom
rules in the UK, e.g.:

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/ca/n...es-comply-999-
ruling

and I believe rulings in other countries (e.g. FCC in USA).

Chris Blunt

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 16:20:07 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Benham
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 19:23:10 -0500, phonepro wrote:
>
>> What type of company is skype then? Internet messaging?

>Skype go to great lengths to point out that they are not
>a telephone company. If they were a telephone company, they
>would have been hit by fines for refusing to abide by Ofcom
>rules in the UK, e.g.:
>
>http://www.computeractive.co.uk/ca/n...es-comply-999-
>ruling
>
>and I believe rulings in other countries (e.g. FCC in USA).

I don't blame Skype for refusing to comply. The rule makes sense for
UK fixed lines and mobiles, but a Skype user could be located anywhere
in the world. The 999 service is abused enough already. Do Ofcom
really want any Skype user anywhere in the world who happens to dial
999 from his phone to get connected to the UK emergency service?

Besides, there is also the question of jurisdiction. If Skype doesn't
have a physical presence in the UK why should they by subject to UK
rules? How many UK ISP's comply with rules from various other foreign
governments around the world?

Chris

Andrew Benham

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 17:51:14 +0700, Chris Blunt wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 16:20:07 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Benham
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 19:23:10 -0500, phonepro wrote:
>>
>>> What type of company is skype then? Internet messaging?

>>Skype go to great lengths to point out that they are not a telephone
>>company. If they were a telephone company, they would have been hit by
>>fines for refusing to abide by Ofcom rules in the UK, e.g.:
>>
>>http://www.computeractive.co.uk/ca/n...skype-refuses-

comply-999-
>>ruling
>>
>>and I believe rulings in other countries (e.g. FCC in USA).

> I don't blame Skype for refusing to comply. The rule makes sense for UK
> fixed lines and mobiles, but a Skype user could be located anywhere in
> the world. The 999 service is abused enough already. Do Ofcom really
> want any Skype user anywhere in the world who happens to dial 999 from
> his phone to get connected to the UK emergency service?

That's a possible argument, but every UK telco providing VoIP has to
comply with Ofcom's rule - even if they disagree with it.
I just think the playing field should be level.
After all, IIRC one telco got fined by Ofcom after a customer called an
ambulance with a 999 call over VoIP and hadn't updated his home address
with the telco - an ambulance was sent to the wrong address and the
patient died.

> Besides, there is also the question of jurisdiction. If Skype doesn't
> have a physical presence in the UK why should they by subject to UK
> rules? How many UK ISP's comply with rules from various other foreign
> governments around the world?

Skype offer a choice of 17 UK area codes for their Skypein service. That
sounds like a UK presence to me. It also sounds to me rather like
they're a telephone company, but I must be mistaken.

Chris Blunt

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:46:15 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Benham
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 17:51:14 +0700, Chris Blunt wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 16:20:07 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Benham
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Skype go to great lengths to point out that they are not a telephone
>>>company. If they were a telephone company, they would have been hit by
>>>fines for refusing to abide by Ofcom rules in the UK, e.g.:
>>>
>>>http://www.computeractive.co.uk/ca/n...skype-refuses-

>comply-999-
>>>ruling
>>>
>>>and I believe rulings in other countries (e.g. FCC in USA).

>> I don't blame Skype for refusing to comply. The rule makes sense for UK
>> fixed lines and mobiles, but a Skype user could be located anywhere in
>> the world. The 999 service is abused enough already. Do Ofcom really
>> want any Skype user anywhere in the world who happens to dial 999 from
>> his phone to get connected to the UK emergency service?

>That's a possible argument, but every UK telco providing VoIP has to
>comply with Ofcom's rule - even if they disagree with it.
>I just think the playing field should be level.
>After all, IIRC one telco got fined by Ofcom after a customer called an
>ambulance with a 999 call over VoIP and hadn't updated his home address
>with the telco - an ambulance was sent to the wrong address and the
>patient died.
>
>> Besides, there is also the question of jurisdiction. If Skype doesn't
>> have a physical presence in the UK why should they by subject to UK
>> rules? How many UK ISP's comply with rules from various other foreign
>> governments around the world?

>Skype offer a choice of 17 UK area codes for their Skypein service. That
>sounds like a UK presence to me. It also sounds to me rather like
>they're a telephone company, but I must be mistaken.

But not a physical UK presence, or even a legal one. I believe Skype
are based in Luxembourg. There might not be much that Oftel can do
about it if Skype decide to ignore them?

Chris

Graham.

"Chris Blunt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:46:15 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Benham
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 17:51:14 +0700, Chris Blunt wrote:

>>comply-999-

>>> I don't blame Skype for refusing to comply. The rule makes sense for UK
>>> fixed lines and mobiles, but a Skype user could be located anywhere in
>>> the world. The 999 service is abused enough already. Do Ofcom really
>>> want any Skype user anywhere in the world who happens to dial 999 from
>>> his phone to get connected to the UK emergency service?

>>That's a possible argument, but every UK telco providing VoIP has to
>>comply with Ofcom's rule - even if they disagree with it.
>>I just think the playing field should be level.
>>After all, IIRC one telco got fined by Ofcom after a customer called an
>>ambulance with a 999 call over VoIP and hadn't updated his home address
>>with the telco - an ambulance was sent to the wrong address and the
>>patient died.
>>
>>> Besides, there is also the question of jurisdiction. If Skype doesn't
>>> have a physical presence in the UK why should they by subject to UK
>>> rules? How many UK ISP's comply with rules from various other foreign
>>> governments around the world?

>>Skype offer a choice of 17 UK area codes for their Skypein service. That
>>sounds like a UK presence to me. It also sounds to me rather like
>>they're a telephone company, but I must be mistaken.

> But not a physical UK presence, or even a legal one. I believe Skype
> are based in Luxembourg. There might not be much that Oftel can do
> about it if Skype decide to ignore them?
>
> Chris

A couple of examples.
Sipgate.co.uk is a wholly German company, albeit aimed at the UK.
All their free accounts come with a free CLI, they also offer a free
optional 999 service.

Localphone.com is based in Sheffield and have withdrawn the geographic
numbers they once offered on free accounts calls from these Localphone accounts
present no number, even to another Telco

I imply no criticism for the stance of either of these two services which I find
very useful.

Incidentally, 0808 170 7788 will read back a CLI even if it is flagged withheld.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Anthony R. Gold

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 00:54:41 +0100, "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Incidentally, 0808 170 7788 will read back a CLI even if it is flagged withheld.

It didn't do that for me. I heard this announcement: "Welcome. Please enter
the number you would like to call and finish by pressing the hash button."

Anthony R. Gold

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:57:17 +0100, "Anthony R. Gold"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 00:54:41 +0100, "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Incidentally, 0808 170 7788 will read back a CLI even if it is flagged withheld.

> It didn't do that for me. I heard this announcement: "Welcome. Please enter
> the number you would like to call and finish by pressing the hash button."

I now see why. This facility will not work when the calling number is
registered with 18866.

alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, Graham. chose
the tried and tested strategy of:

> Sipgate.co.uk is a wholly German company, albeit aimed at the UK.
> All their free accounts come with a free CLI, they also offer a free
> optional 999 service.

Sipgate aim to be a landline replacement, Skype does not, so I can
understand why Sipgate offer 999 even when they may not have to.

21:54:05 up 10 days, 4:27, 7 users, load average: 0.10, 0.11, 0.16
"People believe any quote they read on the internet
if it fits their preconceived notions." - Martin Luther King

alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, chose the
tried and tested strategy of:

> Skype are base in Luxembourg now are they? Interesting.

Why is that interesting?

21:59:49 up 10 days, 4:33, 7 users, load average: 0.08, 0.13, 0.16