Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Why haven't wifi SD cards made a bigger splash?

Why haven't wifi SD cards made a bigger splash?

RichA

Seems like being able to download images without touch the card is a
good idea. I've never used one so I don't know what speed, etc., is
like.

Alex Monro

RichA wrote:

> Seems like being able to download images without touch the card is a
> good idea. I've never used one so I don't know what speed, etc., is
> like.

Because I don't want to have to worry about my camera getting hacked.

Whisky-dave

On Jun 24, 3:54*pm, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Seems like being able to download images without touch the card is a
> good idea. *I've never used one so I don't know what speed, etc., is
> like.

Cost, aren't they about 8 times more expensive than a normal card .

ray

$$

David Dyer-Bennet

On Jun 24, 9:54*am, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Seems like being able to download images without touch the card is a
> good idea. *I've never used one so I don't know what speed, etc., is
> like.

I don't find that particular aspect of any interest, and I have
one such card. It's slow, and it's not under my control.
I don't know when it's started, when it's finished, etc.

Also, the cards are very limited in what Wifi networks
you can configure them to attach to. They won't attach
to any hotel or airport network I've tried, for example
(they can't be configured to work on any network where
you have to go through a logon screen on the device
you'll be using the network from).

I was optimistic that the Android connection option
would be useful, but it turns out not to be (and runs down
my camera batteries in nothing flat). It works by the
card becoming a Wifi access point and the Android
connecting to it. This disconnects me from everything
else, which is not useful.

David Dyer-Bennet

On Jun 27, 4:35*am, Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 24, 3:54*pm, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Seems like being able to download images without touch the card is a
> > good idea. *I've never used one so I don't know what speed, etc., is
> > like.

> Cost, aren't they about 8 times more expensive than a normal card .

But you only need one.

By camera-buyer standards, a $50 4GB card with WiFi
is near the impulse-purchase level.

John Turco

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> > On Jun 27, 4:35 am, Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > On Jun 24, 3:54 pm, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > >
> > > Seems like being able to download images without touch the card is a
> > > good idea. I've never used one so I don't know what speed, etc., is
> > > like.

> > Cost, aren't they about 8 times more expensive than a normal card .

> But you only need one.
>
> By camera-buyer standards, a $50 4GB card with WiFi is near the
> impulse-purchase level.

Did you notice the P&S trend towards putting SD slots, inside battery
compartments? It began in the mid-2000's, and may have been designed
to increase the sales of those higher-priced (but, more convenient)
Wi-Fi cards.

Conspiracy theories, anybody?

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Whisky-dave

On Jul 5, 1:25*am, John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> > > Cost, aren't they about 8 times more expensive than a normal card .

> > But you only need one.

> > By camera-buyer standards, a $50 4GB card with WiFi is near the
> > impulse-purchase level.

> Did you notice the P&S trend towards putting SD slots, inside battery
> compartments? It began in the mid-2000's, and may have been designed
> to increase the sales of those higher-priced (but, more convenient)
> Wi-Fi cards.
>
> Conspiracy theories, anybody?

Nah, I think it's because they only wanted one flap to design
rathen than differnt flap/covers for cards, USB, external power,
batteries etc..
Those little flaps are usually a weak point in camera design so the
less of them you have the better.
Less fidly too having one largish one than 3 small ones.

John Turco

Whisky-dave wrote:

> > On Jul 5, 1:25 am, John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<edited for brevity>

> > Did you notice the P&S trend towards putting SD slots, inside battery
> > compartments? It began in the mid-2000's, and may have been designed
> > to increase the sales of those higher-priced (but, more convenient)
> > Wi-Fi cards.
> >
> > Conspiracy theories, anybody?

> Nah, I think it's because they only wanted one flap to design
> rathen than differnt flap/covers for cards, USB, external power,
> batteries etc..
>
> Those little flaps are usually a weak point in camera design so
> theless of them you have the better.
>
> Less fidly too having one largish one than 3 small ones.

Actually, on eBay, digicams' replacement battery doors have long
seemed to be a booming business.

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>