Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > What is Broadband for ?

Reply
Thread Tools

What is Broadband for ?

 
 
Frank Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2011

Report: Cable exec says 1Gbps Internet is only good for piracy

http://www.neowin.net/news/report-ca...ood-for-piracy
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
JohnO
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2011
On Jun 21, 3:34*pm, Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Report: Cable exec says 1Gbps Internet is only good for piracy
>
> http://www.neowin.net/news/report-ca...-internet-is-o...


Rather closed minded to future opportunities, and reminiscent of the
'640k ought to be enough for anyone' misattribution.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Patrick FitzGerald
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2011
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 20:59:16 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Jun 21, 3:34*pm, Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Report: Cable exec says 1Gbps Internet is only good for piracy
>>
>> http://www.neowin.net/news/report-ca...-internet-is-o...

>
>Rather closed minded to future opportunities, and reminiscent of the
>'640k ought to be enough for anyone' misattribution.



The person, who thought 640 K was enough for everyone, also wrote that
one day computers would be able to factor PRIME numbers.


Patrick
 
Reply With Quote
 
Zulu Kilo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2011

"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Report: Cable exec says 1Gbps Internet is only good for piracy
>
> http://www.neowin.net/news/report-ca...ood-for-piracy



Of course he is wrong, but is it not true to say that faster internet will
make it practically impossible to stop piracy? ...not that they've been
having much success anyway. But with super fast internet I expect
anonymizing networks would become more viable thus making detection very
difficult.


Weihana.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2011
In article <itpcv5$ign$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Zulu Kilo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Report: Cable exec says 1Gbps Internet is only good for piracy

> http://www.neowin.net/news/report-ca...-is-only-good-
>for-piracy


>Of course he is wrong, but is it not true to say that faster internet will
>make it practically impossible to stop piracy? ...not that they've been
>having much success anyway. But with super fast internet I expect
>anonymizing networks would become more viable thus making detection very
>difficult.


Well, given the music and movie guys are just making up the numbers when the
talk about "piracy" and how much there is, I reckon there's no chance of
stopping ... whatever it is (?) now. So nothing much changes ?

Remember also ... someone once said (IIRC) - there would only be a world
market for 6 computers ? ... then there's ... 256 k is enough memory ?

Seems to me that people in the business seem to know less about what is
likely than the rest of us.



..
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-22-2011
On 21/06/2011 3:59 p.m., JohnO wrote:
> On Jun 21, 3:34 pm, Frank Williams<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Report: Cable exec says 1Gbps Internet is only good for piracy
>>
>> http://www.neowin.net/news/report-ca...-internet-is-o...

>
> Rather closed minded to future opportunities, and reminiscent of the
> '640k ought to be enough for anyone' misattribution.


That saying constantly gets misquoted. It was in relation to the 640k
out of the available 1 meg address space, not a total limit on available ram
 
Reply With Quote
 
AD.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-22-2011
On Jun 22, 11:02*am, (E-Mail Removed)
(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
> Remember also ... someone once said (IIRC) - *there would only be a world
> market for 6 computers ? ... then there's ... 256 k is enough memory ?
>
> Seems to me that people in the business seem to know less about what is
> likely than the rest of us.


Nah, it's just that these famous quotes often are taken totally out of
context with regard to the timeframes or specific things they were
talking about, or they never said it or were misquoted etc and
eventually take on a life of their own.

eg the IBM "market for 5 computers" one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_...amous_misquote

--
Cheers
Anton
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-22-2011
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "AD." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Jun 22, 11:02=A0am, (E-Mail Removed)
>(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
>> Remember also ... someone once said (IIRC) - =A0there would only be a wor=

>ld
>> market for 6 computers ? ... then there's ... 256 k is enough memory ?
>>
>> Seems to me that people in the business seem to know less about what is
>> likely than the rest of us.

>
>Nah, it's just that these famous quotes often are taken totally out of
>context with regard to the timeframes or specific things they were
>talking about, or they never said it or were misquoted etc and
>eventually take on a life of their own.
>
>eg the IBM "market for 5 computers" one:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_...amous_misquote




Even if these examples are wrong, where is the evidence that IT guys are any
better at reading the tea leaves or the cards on the future of computing ?
I've seen very few reliable predicters (and the one that did seem reliable's
name now escapes me ).


 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2011
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "AD." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Jun 22, 11:02=A0am,
>> (E-Mail Removed) (Bruce Sinclair)
>> wrote:
>>> Remember also ... someone once said (IIRC) - =A0there would only be
>>> a wor=

>> ld
>>> market for 6 computers ? ... then there's ... 256 k is enough
>>> memory ?
>>>
>>> Seems to me that people in the business seem to know less about
>>> what is likely than the rest of us.

>>
>> Nah, it's just that these famous quotes often are taken totally out
>> of context with regard to the timeframes or specific things they were
>> talking about, or they never said it or were misquoted etc and
>> eventually take on a life of their own.
>>
>> eg the IBM "market for 5 computers" one:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_...amous_misquote

>
>
>
> Even if these examples are wrong, where is the evidence that IT guys
> are any
> better at reading the tea leaves or the cards on the future of
> computing ?
> I've seen very few reliable predicters (and the one that did seem
> reliable's
> name now escapes me ).


Moore's Law?
--
Shaun.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a
monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also
into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche


 
Reply With Quote
 
AD.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2011
On Jun 23, 11:32*am, (E-Mail Removed)
(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
> Even if these examples are wrong, where is the evidence that IT guys are any
> better at reading the tea leaves or the cards on the future of computing ?
> I've seen very few reliable predicters (and the one that did seem reliable's
> name now escapes me ).


They probably are better than non IT people, but 'better' probably
just means 20% success rate rather than 15% success rate

Then again most of the CEO type stuff is very short sighted and only
focussed on what they can sell in the next couple of years.

Anyway, changing the topic slightly...

This prediction stuff does remind me of reading a few early Wired mags
back around 1993/1994 (I think) that had lots of articles by
breathless 'futurists' about what things would be like 10-20yrs out.

And from vague memory they weren't too bad. Sure specific timings and
implementations can be wrong but a lot of the general ideas were
pretty good eg things like:

* Internet connectivity would be fast, pervasive and mobile
* The mainstream public (not just geeks) would be online and using it
to socialise, publish stuff and work etc
* People could work anywhere, companies could be 'virtual' without
offices.
* Huge amounts of commerce would happen online
* Traditional telco services would either die or shift to the internet
* The network would become more important than the computer - eg your
data and applications would shift onto the network.
* Computing power would be able to be bought like power or water.

It's easy to look back from here and say "well duh!" and it all seems
relatively ordinary now. But back when all you had was a 14.4k modem
(if you were lucky) and the internet was tiny and just starting to
shift away from relying on unix shell accounts and text only protocols
it seemed far less certain that most of that stuff was going to be
more than just wishful thinking.

When the futuristic prediction finally happens it always seems far
more ordinary and anticlimactic than your imagination had run away
with. eg 20 yrs ago you hear a prediction that one day in the future
wars will be fought using robots and you think of something like
Mechwarrior or Terminator rather than pilotless drone attacks.

Or your hear about large virtual worlds inhabited by avatars and bots
and you think of William Gibson novels and virtual reality rather than
World of Warcraft or Second Life.

Hmmm, I should see if there are still any of those old magazines
stashed away somewhere. They're probably next to that old 1987/88 Dick
Smith catalog I had where a 110MB disk drive cost $11,000 (ouch).

--
Cheers
Anton
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WIRELESS G BROADBAND ROUTER OR WIRELESS N BROADBAND ROUTER Bill Wireless Networking 2 05-28-2008 04:04 PM
Review: D-Link DGL-4100 Broadband Gigabit Router Silverstrand Front Page News 0 06-27-2005 06:42 PM
setting up wireless broadband to router =?Utf-8?B?QWRyaWFuIEg=?= Wireless Networking 6 12-09-2004 10:40 AM
Connecting a laptop to broadband David Gartrell Wireless Networking 4 11-28-2004 02:18 PM
sharing cable broadband jo Wireless Networking 4 07-12-2004 06:34 PM



Advertisments