Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: CLI Java Glitch

Re: CLI Java Glitch

Jeff Higgins

On 06/20/2011 05:24 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
> Dear Java'ers:
>
> Given
>
> class HelloWorld
> {
> public static void main(String[] args)
> {
> System.out.println("Hello, world!");
> }
> }
>
> is there any way around the following?
>
> C:\cbs2dev\test>java helloworld

maybe a wrapper script

Lew Bloch

On Jun 20, 4:11*pm, Jeff Higgins <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 06/20/2011 05:24 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
>
> > Dear Java'ers:

> > * * * Given

> > class HelloWorld
> > * * {
> > * * public static void main(String[] args)
> > * * * *{
> > * * * *System.out.println("Hello, world!");
> > * * * *}
> > * * }

> > is there any way around the following?

> > C:\cbs2dev\test>java helloworld

> maybe a wrapper script

That would not help in this case. Think about the problem and you
will see why.

OK, I'll tell you why. Wrapper scripts don't help in the face of
egregious error.

Perhaps you should be specific with your suggestion. "Maybe a wrapper
script" is about as useful as advice as "maybe a program to help
you". Could you elucidate precisely what sort of "wrapper script" you
have in mind, and precisely how you believe it would help, and
precisely how that would ameliorate egregious error?

--
Lew

Jeff Higgins

On 06/20/2011 07:25 PM, Lew Bloch wrote:
> On Jun 20, 4:11 pm, Jeff Higgins<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 06/20/2011 05:24 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Java'ers:

>>> Given

>>> class HelloWorld
>>> {
>>> public static void main(String[] args)
>>> {
>>> System.out.println("Hello, world!");
>>> }
>>> }

>>> is there any way around the following?

>>> C:\cbs2dev\test>java helloworld

>> maybe a wrapper script

> That would not help in this case. Think about the problem and you
> will see why.
>
> OK, I'll tell you why. Wrapper scripts don't help in the face of
> egregious error.
>
> Perhaps you should be specific with your suggestion. "Maybe a wrapper
> script" is about as useful as advice as "maybe a program to help
> you". Could you elucidate precisely what sort of "wrapper script" you
> have in mind, and precisely how you believe it would help, and
> precisely how that would ameliorate egregious error?

What error?

Jeff Higgins

> 1. Create a helloworld.bat script (I'm assuming, given the wish to
> ignore case, that this is MS-Windows specific) that runs the java
> command with the correct spelling of the class name. Users who run the
> script could ignore case.

On Vista+ I believe you can use mklink instead of a batch file.

> 2. Create a general script, javaignorecase.bat, that takes the same
> parameters as the java command. It would scan the class path for
> classes. If it found one that matches its class name argument ignoring
> case, it would run the java command substituting the actual class name
> for its class name argument and passing through the rest of the
> arguments unchanged.

I was going to call mine javaci, but this may fall into the egrigulous
category, not sure.

> Personally, I don't like things that ignore case, but that is a far from
> universal view.
>
> Patricia

Jeff Higgins

On 06/20/2011 08:37 PM, Jeff Higgins wrote:

> I was going to call mine javaci, but this may fall into the egrigulous
> category, not sure.

Oops, ungrinulous.

Lew Bloch

Jeff Higgins wrote:
> Lew Bloch wrote:
>> Jeff Higgins*wrote:

>>> maybe a wrapper script

>> That would not help in this case. *Think about the problem and you
>> will see why.

>> OK, I'll tell you why. *Wrapper scripts don't help in the face of
>> egregious error.

>> Perhaps you should be specific with your suggestion. *"Maybe a wrapper
>> script" is about as useful as advice as "maybe a program to help
>> you". *Could you elucidate precisely what sort of "wrapper script" you
>> have in mind, and precisely how you believe it would help, and
>> precisely how that would ameliorate egregious error?

> What error?

The error the OP made. Duhh.

Now, how about responding to the request for details instead of
continuing with vague, indirect, fairly unhelpful responses?

--
Lew

Jeff Higgins

I'm sorry, I use Thunderbird and eternal-september
and for some reason I can see that you have replied
but I cannot see the body of your message or reply to it.

I've retrieved some context from Google Groups and
copy/pasted, and will reply to it here.

Jeff Higgins wrote:
> Lew Bloch wrote:
>> Jeff Higgins wrote:

>>> maybe a wrapper script

>> That would not help in this case. Think about the problem and you
>> will see why.

>> OK, I'll tell you why. Wrapper scripts don't help in the face of
>> egregious error.

>> Perhaps you should be specific with your suggestion. "Maybe a wrapper
>> script" is about as useful as advice as "maybe a program to help
>> you". Could you elucidate precisely what sort of "wrapper script" you
>> have in mind, and precisely how you believe it would help, and
>> precisely how that would ameliorate egregious error?

> What error?

The error the OP made. Duhh.

Now, how about responding to the request for details instead of
continuing with vague, indirect, fairly unhelpful responses?

No, thanks. I'll await a request from the OP for clarification.

Lew Bloch

Jeff Higgins wrote:
> Lew wrote:
>> Now, how about responding to the request for details instead of
>> continuing with vague, indirect, fairly unhelpful responses?

> No, thanks. I'll await a request from the OP for clarification.

It'll be interesting to see how the OP can clarify your point, but all
right. I'll grab some popcorn and a beer; this should be fun.

--
Lew

Jeff Higgins

On 06/21/2011 01:25 PM, Lew Bloch wrote:
I'll grab some popcorn and a beer; this should be fun.
Enjoy.

Tom Anderson

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011, Jeff Higgins wrote:

> On 06/20/2011 08:37 PM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
>
>> I was going to call mine javaci, but this may fall into the egrigulous
>> category, not sure.

> Oops, ungrinulous.

Gregarious?

tom

--
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river
and he's not the same man. -- Heraclitus

Re: CLI Java Glitch Martin Gregorie Java 54 07-25-2011 11:25 AM
Re: CLI Java Glitch Jeff Higgins Java 8 07-22-2011 09:50 PM
Re: CLI Java Glitch Tom Anderson Java 2 07-22-2011 09:47 PM
Re: CLI Java Glitch Roedy Green Java 9 07-22-2011 09:45 PM
Re: CLI Java Glitch Stefan Ram Java 2 06-21-2011 07:43 AM

Advertisments