Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Is the mailing list to usenet gateway borked?

Is the mailing list to usenet gateway borked?

Steven D'Aprano

The last couple of messages on this list <(E-Mail Removed)> show up
fine on the mailman archives, but are empty posts on comp.lang.python. Is
there a problem with the mail -> usenet gateway?

Who controls that?

--
Steven

Peter Pearson

On 20 Jun 2011 01:41:44 GMT, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> The last couple of messages on this list <(E-Mail Removed)> show up
> fine on the mailman archives, but are empty posts on comp.lang.python. Is
> there a problem with the mail -> usenet gateway?

I don't see any empty posts on comp.lang.python. Can we talk
about a specific post? For example, this recent post is not
empty when retrieved from news.individual.net using slrn:

To: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
From: Terry Reedy
Subject: Re: threading : make stop the caller
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 12:58:56 -0400

Tim Chase

On 06/19/2011 08:41 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> The last couple of messages on this list<(E-Mail Removed)> show up
> fine on the mailman archives, but are empty posts on comp.lang.python. Is
> there a problem with the mail -> usenet gateway?

I haven't noticed any issues. I tend to send via email
((E-Mail Removed)) and receive via gmane's news interface.
Occasionally Thunderbird will hiccup on a post, failing to
download the body (it has a feel like a race-condition in my
experience). Your post shows you're using Pan, so you might try
poking at your news-server through a different news-reader and
see if you experience the same issue(s).

-tkc

Steven D'Aprano

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 16:49:33 +0000, Peter Pearson wrote:

> On 20 Jun 2011 01:41:44 GMT, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> The last couple of messages on this list <(E-Mail Removed)> show
>> up fine on the mailman archives, but are empty posts on
>> comp.lang.python. Is there a problem with the mail -> usenet gateway?

> I don't see any empty posts on comp.lang.python. Can we talk about a
> specific post? For example, this recent post is not empty when
> retrieved from news.individual.net using slrn:
>
> To: (E-Mail Removed)
> From: Terry Reedy
> Subject: Re: threading : make stop the caller Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011
> 12:58:56 -0400

It seems to be a bug in my news client, Pan, because I've tried
downloading the posts in another client and they are not empty. However,
something has changed, because it only started recently -- I've never
seen such "empty" posts before, not in 5+ years of posting with Pan, and
within the last 24 hours or so, I am seeing dozens, in two different
versions.

I will treat this as a bug in Pan, and take it to the appropriate forums,
but for anyone who cares, here's one example:

From: Steven D'Aprano <(E-Mail Removed)>
Subject: Re: What is this syntax ?
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
Date: 19 Jun 2011 23:19:56 GMT

--
Steven

Peter Pearson

On 20 Jun 2011 23:49:11 GMT, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
[snip]
> I will treat this as a bug in Pan, and take it to the appropriate forums,
> but for anyone who cares, here's one example:
>
> From: Steven D'Aprano <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Subject: Re: What is this syntax ?
> Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
> Date: 19 Jun 2011 23:19:56 GMT

As you probably expected, that message is displayed normally
by slrn.