Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows 7 restarting

Windows 7 restarting

Enkidu

On 20/06/11 21:50, Boots wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 11:02:50 +1200, Enkidu wrote:
>
>>> Why does MS Windows require restarts to apply updates? For years Unix
>>> systems can even have updates applied to the kernel without requiring
>>> shutting down and restarting the computer!
>>>

>> That's not true, Boots. Linux and similar Unix systems require a reboot
>> to implement a new version of the kernel.

> http://www.ksplice.com/
>
> "Ksplice Uptrack is a subscription service that lets you apply 100% of
> the important kernel security updates released by your Linux vendor
> without rebooting."
>

> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/ai...mpare/?ca=dgr-
> lnxw16Compare-UNIX&S_TACT=105AGX59&S_CMP=grlnxw16
>
> "Support for concurrent AIX kernel updates: allows you to update systems
> without having to do a reboot for this to take effect."
>

> http://www.oracle.com/us/products/se...orage/solaris/
> reliability-066071.html
>
> "Continuous uptime".

Yes, and that's technically quite cool. Unfortunately it is not yet part
of the standard OS, so, unless you buy this proprietary software, you
still can't upgrade the kernel without rebooting.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

The ends justifies the means - Niccol├▓ di Bernardo dei Machiavelli.

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Frank Williams

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 09:13:48 +1200, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 20/06/11 17:46, Frank Williams wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 16:07:52 +1200,

>>> It doesn't do anything in a "DOS mode". There is no "DOS mode".

>> Have a read about the Command Console to me that is a DOS Type mode,
>> plus the CMD mode..
>>

>'cmd' *is* the 'Command Prompt'. (Not the Command Console - Windows
>doesn't have a console as such). Both Command Prompt and Powershell (a
>whizzy version of Command Prompt) require the OS to be fully running
>before they are used.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Cliff

Sorry its called the Recovery Console, so it does have a Console as
such

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

Enkidu

On 21/06/11 17:02, Frank Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 09:13:48 +1200, Enkidu<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On 20/06/11 17:46, Frank Williams wrote:

>>> Have a read about the Command Console to me that is a DOS Type mode,
>>> plus the CMD mode..
>>>

>> 'cmd' *is* the 'Command Prompt'. (Not the Command Console - Windows
>> doesn't have a console as such). Both Command Prompt and Powershell (a
>> whizzy version of Command Prompt) require the OS to be fully running
>> before they are used.

> Sorry its called the Recovery Console, so it does have a Console as
> such
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

The "Recovery Console" is only used for recovery purposes which is why
it is called the "Recovery Console". It is not used when you simply
reboot, so it has nothing at all to do with having to reboot when
applying a patch.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

On 21/06/11 20:20, EMB wrote:
> On 21/06/2011 7:42 p.m., Enkidu wrote:
>
>> The "Recovery Console" is only used for recovery purposes which is why
>> it is called the "Recovery Console". It is not used when you simply
>> reboot, so it has nothing at all to do with having to reboot when
>> applying a patch.

> Next thing Woger will be telling us that Server Core[1] is DOS as you
> only get a command prompt.
>
> [1] Only Microsoft could load up a full GUI in order to present a
> command prompt.

That's not entirely fair as most people would use an xterm on Unix-like
systems for access to a command prompt. I do also use putty though.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

The ends justifies the means - Niccol˛ di Bernardo dei Machiavelli.

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Restarting Windows service using an another application Stephen ASP .Net 2 03-01-2006 10:12 PM
Restarting windows from c++ CRE C++ 8 07-02-2004 03:19 PM
Windows XP Restarting Jerald Montgomery Computer Support 9 06-23-2004 10:50 PM
Windows 2000 Pro machine crashing and restarting when using Explorer, for example. Will Computer Support 1 05-19-2004 06:14 PM
Windows XP keeps restarting automatically before system finishes booting. GET ERROR: "We apologize for the inconveience but windows was not shutdown properly...." DaWurm Computer Support 3 11-15-2003 11:29 PM

Advertisments