Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Weapons are available for viewing, finally!

Re: Weapons are available for viewing, finally!

Whisky-dave

On Jun 16, 12:06*am, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Apologies for the delay. The latest mandate for the Shoot-In, Weapons,
> is available for viewing. Aim your browser here to see them:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/weapons
>
> Now we need someone out there to peruse the pictures and fire off some
> comments. And yes, targeted comments are best.

Eric Stevens:
Bofors Gun;

OK doesn't do much for me, I'd probably tried a lower angle.

Puffer Fish; nice idea but is it alive ? the eyes look a bit dead.

Disappearing gun; Its a gun yep.

Savageduck:
01; I like the gun but not the background it's on they are too
similar.

02; Nice to know what the average American wears around the house

03; When I first sore this I thought fuji400 film the colours remind
me of that film

Tony Cooper:
Grandfather's Knife; Doesn't quite appeel I'd have preferred to
see the Apple stabbed more in line with a weapon
Tachi; Not sure of the link between the fan and knife.
The Shooters; Nice picture of gay cowboys, doesn't the red scarf in
the back right hand pocket denote cruising for
gay sex and that you are a receive, I've lost my 80s colour code
chart
Wonder what his wiping from his mouth.

Alan Browne:
01; yeah I really like this one great idea, pity it wasn't a laser
sight
Otter: don;t find this interesting
Weapons; Pity there's not more on the right and less on the left .
Weapons 02:

Shiv Das: can't think of anything to say

Paul Furman:
Axe; I wouldn't have entered this unless it was being use to hit
someone with it.

Tim Conway:
Weapon; I'd like to have seen a more adventurous angle and also not a
~50/50 split
of sky and ground.

Peter Newman:
Reflection; I like this sort of shot.
Tern; Nice catch although I can;t help but wonder why a littel
contrast and brightness type adjustmens aren't use
to make the whole shot a bit more punchy.

Warbirds; Quite inventive, but where's the Klingon Bird of Prey and
the Romulan warbird !!!

Bowser:
USS Missouri; Not much you can do photographically with these
shots.i.e it is what it is.
A10; .. I like the fact that the prominent humans have their head
missing and then the planes jaws give a 'link'

Enola Gay: I guess you can't really isolate the plane from everything
else.
I can't help think "**** you dolphin, **** you whale" from a southpark
episode

PeterN

On 6/16/2011 10:13 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
> On Jun 16, 12:06 am, Bowser<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Apologies for the delay. The latest mandate for the Shoot-In, Weapons,
>> is available for viewing. Aim your browser here to see them:
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/weapons
>>
>> Now we need someone out there to peruse the pictures and fire off some
>> comments. And yes, targeted comments are best.

> Peter Newman:
> Reflection; I like this sort of shot.
> Tern; Nice catch although I can;t help but wonder why a littel
> contrast and brightness type adjustmens aren't use
> to make the whole shot a bit more punchy.

there's a classic example of choice. the original was very high
contrast. I toned it down as the grass became too prominent. Feel free
to play with the image.

> Warbirds; Quite inventive, but where's the Klingon Bird of Prey and
> the Romulan warbird !!!

Notice the blank areas. Their cloaking devices were turned on.

--
Peter

otter

On Jun 16, 4:27*pm, Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >Puffer Fish; *nice idea but is it alive ? the eyes look a bit dead.

> Seehttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/_DSC3110.jpgfor the set up
> sitting on the end of the bench in our kitchen.
>
> The fish is a dried skin with the flash poked up a hole in its belly.
> Initially I used the built-in flash on the camera only to control the
> flash in the fish. The explosion of light inside the fish lit most of
> it very well but it left fins and a few other bits almost in the dark.
> In the end I had to use 1/25 power on the camera to light up the
> previously dark bits on the outside.
>
> It was a dull day and the fish had so much light that the kitchen
> almost entirely disappeared into the background. It took me about 30
> seconds with NX2's equivalent of the healing clone brush to clean it
> up to the condition it is now.

This shot is more interesting to me now that I know what you went
through to take it. Still, it is a little drab due to the beige
color, I think. Maybe if you tried a colored gel on the flash? Maybe
just a warming gel?

tony cooper

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 07:13:19 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Jun 16, 12:06*am, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Apologies for the delay. The latest mandate for the Shoot-In, Weapons,
>> is available for viewing. Aim your browser here to see them:
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/weapons
>>

>Tony Cooper:
>Grandfather's Knife; Doesn't quite appeel I'd have preferred to
>see the Apple stabbed more in line with a weapon

While the subject was "weapons", and a knife can be a weapon, I chose
to portray my grandfather's pocket knife used the way I remember it
being used back in the 1940s and 1950s.

I used to be fascinated by the way he could peel an apple with that
knife and the removed peel would be one long spiral. I tried to do
that for this photo, but the most I could get was a couple of inches
of peel before it would break. I went through about six or eight
apples.

The knife, by the way, was made by Schrade Cutlery Company and the
style was patented in 1910. The blades (2) pop out when the button
for the blade is pressed, but there is a sliding safety for each. The
blades still pop out, but the spring is a bit weak. When my
grandfather died in 1965, my grandmother made sure I got the knife. I
have since passed it on to my son, but borrowed it for the photo.

>Tachi; Not sure of the link between the fan and knife.

Just aesthetics. The fan, like the ceremonial dagger, is a carved
Japanese item. I put it in to balance the photo.

>The Shooters; Nice picture of gay cowboys, doesn't the red scarf in
>the back right hand pocket denote cruising for
>gay sex and that you are a receive, I've lost my 80s colour code
>chart

You may be more familiar with the signals than these guys are. They
are just a bunch of ordinary blokes who collect and fire frontier-era
guns.

Thanks for the comments.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

otter

On Jun 17, 4:54*am, Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 19:14:26 -0700 (PDT), otter
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Seehttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/_DSC3110.jpgforthe set up
> >> sitting on the end of the bench in our kitchen.

> >> The fish is a dried skin with the flash poked up a hole in its belly.
> >> Initially I used the built-in flash on the camera only to control the
> >> flash in the fish. The explosion of light inside the fish lit most of
> >> it very well but it left fins and a few other bits almost in the dark.
> >> In the end I had to use 1/25 power on the camera to light up the
> >> previously dark bits on the outside.

> >> It was a dull day and the fish had so much light that the kitchen
> >> almost entirely disappeared into the background. It took me about 30
> >> seconds with NX2's equivalent of the healing clone brush to clean it
> >> up to the condition it is now.

> >This shot is more interesting to me now that I know what you went
> >through to take it. * Still, it is a little drab due to the beige
> >color, I think. *Maybe if you tried a colored gel on the flash? *Maybe
> >just a warming gel?

> The trouble with that is, that the color of the flash would be
> filtered through the fish. And it is the fish that was beige.

No big deal, just a thought. The pictures I've seen of the live fish
are a little more colorful with bright yellow splotches and black dots
in addition to the beige, but I guess with the dead skin that fades,
huh? With the dead look of the fish and the broken eyes, I think I'd
go more surreal orf spooky rather than trying to maintain accuracy

But not criticising, just brain-storming. I think what you did do was
clever. Just wondering what you could do to take it to the next
level.