Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > psu problem

psu problem

Peter Huebner

I am building a new system at the moment for a neighbour.

The powersupply I got in only has a 6pin mobo poer connector.
(500W Antec 'green' psu), the mobo has an 8pin socket. Now,
as I _thought_ you can just plug in the 6 pin cable and away
she should go.

Doesn't though - that psu makes a little 'snork' kind of
noise when I try to turn the system on and that's it.

Would you agree that that psu is probably poked?

There is no other option that I can find to plug more power
into that socket. The cable has another 2-pin connector, but
that does not fit in the 8 pin socket (nor should it, 2 black
instead of yellow/black as the 8pin connector in my own system
has).

It's too late to do anything about it today since it's past 5pm,
so I thought I'd ask for second opinions here.

-P.

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)s says...

> I am building a new system at the moment for a neighbour.
>
> The powersupply I got in only has a 6pin mobo poer connector.
> (500W Antec 'green' psu), the mobo has an 8pin socket. Now,
> as I _thought_ you can just plug in the 6 pin cable and away
> she should go.
>
> Doesn't though - that psu makes a little 'snork' kind of
> noise when I try to turn the system on and that's it.
>
> Would you agree that that psu is probably poked?
>
> There is no other option that I can find to plug more power
> into that socket. The cable has another 2-pin connector, but
> that does not fit in the 8 pin socket (nor should it, 2 black
> instead of yellow/black as the 8pin connector in my own system
> has).
>
> It's too late to do anything about it today since it's past 5pm,
> so I thought I'd ask for second opinions here.
>
> -P.

For some reason the pci-e 6 pin cable fitted, where I should've used the
4+4. All hunky dory now.

-P.

Roger Brown

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 17:05:15 +1200, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I am building a new system at the moment for a neighbour.
>
>The powersupply I got in only has a 6pin mobo poer connector.
>(500W Antec 'green' psu), the mobo has an 8pin socket. Now,
>as I _thought_ you can just plug in the 6 pin cable and away
>she should go.
>
>Doesn't though - that psu makes a little 'snork' kind of
>noise when I try to turn the system on and that's it.
>
>Would you agree that that psu is probably poked?
>
>There is no other option that I can find to plug more power
>into that socket. The cable has another 2-pin connector, but
>that does not fit in the 8 pin socket (nor should it, 2 black
>instead of yellow/black as the 8pin connector in my own system
>has).
>
>It's too late to do anything about it today since it's past 5pm,
>so I thought I'd ask for second opinions here.
>
>-P.

Is this not your PSU..?

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/conn...p?ProdID=27504

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MjIzOA==

It has a 20pin Mobo connector..

80 PLUS® Bronze certified
ATX12V version 2.3
Universal Input — works on any 100V - 240V grid
Active Power Factor Correction (PFC)
Dual +12V output circuits
80 mm low noise cooling fan
Industrial-grade protection circuitry prevents damage resulting from
short circuits, over voltage, and over current
8(4+4)-pin ATX12V/EPS12V connector for CPU
1 x 8(6+2)-pin and 1 x 6-pin PCI-E connectors
Safety approvals: UL, cUL, FCC, TÜV, CE, CB, C-tick, CCC, BSMI
PF value up to 99%
Meets ErP Lot 6: 2010 requirement: 5Vsb < 1W
AQ3 - Antec Quality 3 year parts and labor warranty
No power cord included.
Weight:
- Net: 3.6 lbs / 1.6 kg
- Gross: 4.3 lbs / 2.0 kg
Unit Dimensions:
- 3.4" (H) x 5.9" (W) x 5.5" (D)
- 86 mm (H) x 150 mm (W) x 140 mm (D)
Package Dimensions:
- 8.3" (H) x 9.0" (W) x 4.5" (D)
- 211 mm (H) x 229 mm (W) x 114 mm (D)

Possible

wrote:

>I am building a new system at the moment for a neighbour.
>
>The powersupply I got in only has a 6pin mobo poer connector.
>(500W Antec 'green' psu), the mobo has an 8pin socket. Now,
>as I _thought_ you can just plug in the 6 pin cable and away
>she should go.
>
>Doesn't though - that psu makes a little 'snork' kind of
>noise when I try to turn the system on and that's it.
>
>Would you agree that that psu is probably poked?
>
>There is no other option that I can find to plug more power
>into that socket. The cable has another 2-pin connector, but
>that does not fit in the 8 pin socket (nor should it, 2 black
>instead of yellow/black as the 8pin connector in my own system
>has).
>
>It's too late to do anything about it today since it's past 5pm,
>so I thought I'd ask for second opinions here.
>
>-P.

PSU's generally have short circuit protection but you MoBo does not, its
that might be blown up due to incorrect voltages, ie putting the wrong
plug in the wrong hole..

There should have been a manual for that breed of PSU.

Peter Huebner

says...

> PSU's generally have short circuit protection but you MoBo does not, its
> that might be blown up due to incorrect voltages, ie putting the wrong
> plug in the wrong hole..
>
> There should have been a manual for that breed of PSU.

Yes, the short circuit protection obviously kicked in. Nothing got fried,
it's currently installing chipset drivers on top of Win7.

The pci-e3 6 pin connector should, theoretically, not have fitted in to the 8-
pin power socket on the mobo but it did. I wasn't forcing it either. It's got
the polarity reversed, so that explains the problem.

-P.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> (E-Mail Removed)s says...
>>
>> I am building a new system at the moment for a neighbour.
>>
>> The powersupply I got in only has a 6pin mobo poer connector.
>> (500W Antec 'green' psu), the mobo has an 8pin socket. Now,
>> as I _thought_ you can just plug in the 6 pin cable and away
>> she should go.
>>
>> Doesn't though - that psu makes a little 'snork' kind of
>> noise when I try to turn the system on and that's it.
>>
>> Would you agree that that psu is probably poked?
>>
>> There is no other option that I can find to plug more power
>> into that socket. The cable has another 2-pin connector, but
>> that does not fit in the 8 pin socket (nor should it, 2 black
>> instead of yellow/black as the 8pin connector in my own system
>> has).
>>
>> It's too late to do anything about it today since it's past 5pm,
>> so I thought I'd ask for second opinions here.
>>
>> -P.

> For some reason the pci-e 6 pin cable fitted, where I should've used
> the 4+4. All hunky dory now.
>
> -P.

Yep. I was about to reply; six pin are PCIe graphics card connectors and
four* or eight pin are CPU power.

*(Unless it's a 20+4 type PSU for use with either 20 pin or 24 pin mobos.
That's easy to spot by the fact that the plug isn't just two black and two
yellow wires though.)

Pleased you got it sorted, and that the PSU has working protection (that
goes 'snork' <g>). Good to know that at least some Antec PSUs are still
good.

Best,
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Gib Bogle

On 6/16/2011 5:05 PM, Peter Huebner wrote:

> I am building a new system at the moment for a neighbour.
>
> The powersupply I got in only has a 6pin mobo poer connector.
> (500W Antec 'green' psu), the mobo has an 8pin socket. Now,
> as I _thought_ you can just plug in the 6 pin cable and away
> she should go.
>
> Doesn't though - that psu makes a little 'snork' kind of
> noise when I try to turn the system on and that's it.
>
> Would you agree that that psu is probably poked?
>
> There is no other option that I can find to plug more power
> into that socket. The cable has another 2-pin connector, but
> that does not fit in the 8 pin socket (nor should it, 2 black
> instead of yellow/black as the 8pin connector in my own system
> has).
>
> It's too late to do anything about it today since it's past 5pm,
> so I thought I'd ask for second opinions here.
>
> -P.

You obviously like living dangerously.