Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Re: voipcheap.co.uk rates

Re: voipcheap.co.uk rates

Graham.

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:itamca$bg4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just checking the ever fluctuating betamax prices and I see
> voipcheap.co.uk is right down at the cheapest UK mobile rates (at the
> moment).
> I can't see on the site anywhere but is there a connection charge which
> might skew things back?
>
> Cheers
> Pete
> --
> http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
> http://www.bodysolid-gym-equipment.co.uk
> http://www.trade-price-supplements.co.uk
> http://www.water-rower.co.uk

Yes I noticed that last week and have already decided to revive my old voipcheap.co.uk
account when my smartvoip credit runs out. I have about 7 euros left, and with my usage
it may take some weeks.
Just in case anyome does not know there are two betamax clones with the name voipcheap,
and it's the .co.uk one we are talking about, not the .com one.

Also, if you attempt to buy credit using the same Paypal account that you have associated with
an existing clone, the payment will bounce back into your account
Short of setting up a fresh PP account, and you won't be able to link the same card to it,
you can delete the existing Betamax account, the feature is well hidden on the website:

other options / customer service / account / delete my account

(BTDTGTTS)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Anthony R. Gold

I want to send a string of digits after establishing a VoipCheap connection.
Is there any alternative to pecking out each of the digits on-by-one into the
screen keypad of the application, such as say chain-dialing multiple contacts
or adding a pause plus the following group into just the one contact, etc?

Thanks.

Graham.

"Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to send a string of digits after establishing a VoipCheap connection.
> Is there any alternative to pecking out each of the digits on-by-one into the
> screen keypad of the application, such as say chain-dialing multiple contacts
> or adding a pause plus the following group into just the one contact, etc?
>
> Thanks.

Like most people here I use a hardware phone to make calls via Betamax so can use
the phone's memory.
I tried to find pause functionality in one of the Betamax softphones but could not find any.
However...
There is a generic free softphone available called X-Lite that will process pauses and post-dial strings
http://www.counterpath.com/x-lite.html

Put your account details in and store the number followed by one or more "P"s for each half second pause,
followed by the post-dial string with a semicolon at the end.
https://support.counterpath.com/default.asp?W366

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Graham.

>> Put your account details in and store the number followed by one or more "P"s for each half second pause,
>> followed by the post-dial string with a semicolon at the end.
>> https://support.counterpath.com/default.asp?W366

> That works a treat. Setting up a remote call diversion under BT's Smart
> Divert requires the accurate entry of 33 digits after the intermediate dial
> tone and I was finding that tricky using point and click. Many thanks.

Now all you need is a mouse macro recorder and a timed windows task to automate the entire
affair and the world's your chopped+fried

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Anthony R. Gold

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 01:59:30 +0100, "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Put your account details in and store the number followed by one or more "P"s for each half second pause,
>>> followed by the post-dial string with a semicolon at the end.
>>> https://support.counterpath.com/default.asp?W366

>> That works a treat. Setting up a remote call diversion under BT's Smart
>> Divert requires the accurate entry of 33 digits after the intermediate dial
>> tone and I was finding that tricky using point and click. Many thanks.

> Now all you need is a mouse macro recorder and a timed windows task to automate the entire
> affair and the world's your chopped+fried

BTW how did you discover pause dialing with the semicolon? I see in the
support forum where the company explicitly denies such a capability exists:
http://forums.counterpath.com/viewto...t=pause#p66943

Graham.

>>> That works a treat. Setting up a remote call diversion under BT's Smart
>>> Divert requires the accurate entry of 33 digits after the intermediate dial
>>> tone and I was finding that tricky using point and click. Many thanks.

>> Now all you need is a mouse macro recorder and a timed windows task to automate the entire
>> affair and the world's your chopped+fried

> BTW how did you discover pause dialing with the semicolon? I see in the
> support forum where the company explicitly denies such a capability exists:
> http://forums.counterpath.com/viewto...t=pause#p66943

It was in the FAQs rather than the forum.
Doing a little forensics with my browser history I appear to have been here
https://support.counterpath.com/

clicked FAQ

https://support.counterpath.com/default.asp?W12

then put "pause" in the search box

https://support.counterpath.com/defa...ki&qWiki=pause

Then I selected the top item

https://support.counterpath.com/default.asp?W366

Looks like the forum Admin's primary function is to encourage take-up of the chargeable product, so
no surprises there.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Anthony R. Gold

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 00:26:57 +0100, "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Like most people here I use a hardware phone to make calls via Betamax so can use
> the phone's memory.

A hardware solution may be attractive but I've browsed through adverts and
find a couple of potential gotcha's for the pig-ignorant, like me. One is
devices that mention they only handle usernames constructed from a character
set of Numbers 0-9 plus Letters A-D, so I guess they can not cope with most
VOIPCheap logins. The other is devices that claim to be unlocked and/or
jailbroken, the mere mention of which makes one sensitive to the risk that
other devices out there in the Ebay marketplace are service-provider locked.

Are both of those risks real or does "username" mean something different?

A dream hardware solution would be a cordless WiFi phone with built-in SIP
capabilities, so one could bring one's phone and its number from hotspot to
hotspot. Does such a device exist? Does such a device exist with the added
capability of simultaneously being logged-in to multiple SIP services?

As a starter I may toy with a Linksys SPA3102, which is both cabled and needs
an analogue phone, but VOIPCheap does list it as being compatible.

Thanks.

Roger Burton West

Anthony R. Gold wrote:

>A dream hardware solution would be a cordless WiFi phone with built-in SIP
>capabilities, so one could bring one's phone and its number from hotspot to
>hotspot. Does such a device exist? Does such a device exist with the added
>capability of simultaneously being logged-in to multiple SIP services?

Yes and sort-of-no, if you're a cheaparse like me and buy a UTStarCom
GF-210 from sipgate for 40 quid.
(http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/utstarcom/gf-210) On its own, it'll
hop on any unsecured 802.11 network (or up to four with credentials set
up in the phone) and log in to a single SIP service. If you have a
proper computer live 24/7, you can run a SIP gateway on it and mux/demux
from there, which IMO is much easier than doing it at the device end. (I
use Asterisk, but if that's all you want I'm sure I've seen a package
that just does SIP multiplexing.)

So from anywhere I can get network access, I can talk via my home phone
line, external VoIP accounts, and my private VoIP network. (And my home
phone rings the mobile when I'm in the pub, at no extra cost. Everybody
wins.)

Roger

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Anthony R. Gold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A dream hardware solution would be a cordless WiFi phone with built-in SIP
>capabilities, so one could bring one's phone and its number from hotspot to
>hotspot. Does such a device exist? Does such a device exist with the added
>capability of simultaneously being logged-in to multiple SIP services?

There are many Wi-Fi capable SIP devices. E.g. most moden "smartphones"
can have soft-phone applications running on them. Battery life is terrible
though (at least that's my expeirence with N900 and HTC desire when using
Wi-Fi)

Have a look here for some pure Wi-Fi handsets:

http://www.voipon.co.uk/unidata-wire...c-148_213.html

and there are many others.

However, I have to say, SIP over Wi-Fi is rubbish when you don't have
good control over the Wi-Fi. A public hotspot might well block VoIP too
- and even if it doesn't, you're battling with everyone else using that
hotspot and just one PC uploading/downloading will interfere with VoIP.

(Then there's the issue of logging on to the hotspot in the first place -
sometimes it's just not possible without a web browser!)

However if it's for cordless use in the home, then there are several
DECT based phones which are SIP compliant. E.g. the Gigaset IP range
are all very good. (I use them myself)

To use with a betamax service, you'll need to extract the SIP credentials
from the system to program into your cordless device.

>As a starter I may toy with a Linksys SPA3102, which is both cabled and needs
>an analogue phone, but VOIPCheap does list it as being compatible.

As long as you get the SIP details then you have the choice of 1000's of
devices, wired and wireless.

Gordon

Graham.

> To use with a betamax service, you'll need to extract the SIP credentials
> from the system to program into your cordless device.

I wouldn't want anyone to interpret the above as if Betamax discourage the BYOD
model, they don't
http://www.voipcheap.com/en/sipp.html

--
Graham.