Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Evil Apple's patent infringement of Nokia cost them

Evil Apple's patent infringement of Nokia cost them

Bruce

"Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce wrote:
>> My desktop PC and netbook both run Forte Agent News Reader, which I
>> have used for the last thirteen years.

>I don't doubt Forte Agent is better than Outlook Express. I tried it once
>years ago and went back to OE, mainly that's because that's what I was
>familiar with. Recently I thought I'd try Forte again, but I see now they're
>charging for it so I didn't bother.

If Forte had continued to offer Free Agent, the company would have
been out of business years ago. You can still get a free trial.

Previously I used Turnpike which was supplied free by my then ISP.
Once I tried Free Agent I decided it suited me very well, certainly
the user interface was much better than the clunky Turnpike. I have
tried other packages which are available on Macs but I like Agent too
much to want to change.

>> Neither of these will run under MacOS and I don't want to corrupt any
>> of my Macs by installing Windows. I haven't had a virus on any Mac
>> since 1989 and have never had malware. With Windows PCs, spyware and
>> malware are constant threats.

>I suppose they are for people who don't use protection, but viruses and
>other malware haven't bothered me for years. My ISP provides Norton Security
>Suite at no charge, so I have that on all my Windows XP and Windows 7
>machines and it is very effective. I still have one Windows 2000 machine
>online; Norton no longer supports Win2000 so I'm using Avast! (which is
>free) on that and while it doesn't have the extensive features of Norton it
>works fine. My ISP's free anti-spyware software still works under Win2000.

I have used anti-virus software since I first went online with a PC.
More recently I have added anti-malware. The problem is that these
programs give almost as much trouble as the viruses and malware. They
slow my PC to a crawl. When these packages are new, they tend to work
well but subsequent versions add features that may (or may not) be
necessary or desirable to some, but they become very processor-hungry
and slow the PC to a standstill. The CPU cooling fan begins to roar
almost as soon as they start up.

>> Someone will be along in a minute to tell me that this isn't a logical
>> choice, but it works for me. If Forte ever ports Agent to the MacOS,
>> I might change my mind. Even then, I will still keep my work and
>> personal lives completely separate by using separate computers and
>> separate connections to the Internet.

>Whatever works for you, works. I like to build my own computers and I
>couldn't do that with Mac, so for me the choice ends right there. The only
>real option for me other than Windows is Linux, which I think about from
>time to time. One of these days I might build a Linux box -- if I ever get
>around to finishing all my existing projects.

I have enjoyed building PCs in the past. Now, I just want to buy
something that works out of the box and does not demand any
significant amount of time from me. The Mac fits the bill,
beautifully.

I did try installing Linux on an Intel notebook but once again the
lack of a Linux version of Agent ruled it out. It was otherwise very
good, and I would put it on my netbook if it wasn't for the Agent
problem.

And no, I don't want a dual boot, Linux with Windows. One computer,
one operating system. Keep it simple!

Bruce

Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Jun 16, 2:43*pm, "Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I suppose they are for people who don't use protection, but viruses and
>> other malware haven't bothered me for years. My ISP provides Norton Security
>> Suite at no charge, so I have that on all my Windows XP and Windows 7
>> machines and it is very effective.

>I wonder what would happen without, maybe that's why you haven;t been
>bothered by such things because you have taken precautions.

In my case, the precautions are a part of the problem. I do wonder
how much of my PC's average daily processing is taken up driving these
enormously resource-hungry programs.

Bruce

"Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce wrote:
>> I have used anti-virus software since I first went online with a PC.
>> More recently I have added anti-malware. The problem is that these
>> programs give almost as much trouble as the viruses and malware. They
>> slow my PC to a crawl. When these packages are new, they tend to work
>> well but subsequent versions add features that may (or may not) be
>> necessary or desirable to some, but they become very processor-hungry
>> and slow the PC to a standstill. The CPU cooling fan begins to roar
>> almost as soon as they start up.

>That's why I like Norton Security Suite. It really does seem to keep an eye
>on all that stuff and I'm confident with it. My one Win2000 machine that's
>networked in my bedroom doesn't have Norton's thorough protection but I go
>online with it very seldom anyway.

The worst problems I have ever experienced were with Norton Security
Suite. I cannot recall which year it was, but my desktop PC was
unusable for almost two weeks until a way was found to get rid of
Norton Security Suite. I had to hand it to Norton, they protected
their own software from anything I, my partner or any of our friends
tried in order to get rid of it.

>I have a few other machines that I use
>almost entirely for playing games, they have no anti-malware protection at
>all and I *never* go online with any of them. Those are running Win98SE,
>WinME and Win2000. Those older OSs are fine with being entirely offline,
>whereas WinXP and later are persistent about wanting to find an Internet
>connection etc. and can be a pain in the ass about it.

Indeed. That doesn't seem to be a problem with MacOS, any version.

tony cooper

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 12:03:07 -0400, "Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>>> I don't doubt Forte Agent is better than Outlook Express. I tried it
>>> once years ago and went back to OE, mainly that's because that's
>>> what I was familiar with. Recently I thought I'd try Forte again,
>>> but I see now they're charging for it so I didn't bother.

>> If Forte had continued to offer Free Agent, the company would have
>> been out of business years ago. You can still get a free trial.

I have been using Agent for several years, but refused to upgrade from
Version 1.93 (they are now up to Version 6.0) The version I have
works, so I see no reason to change.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Bruce

"Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I can remember when Norton was well known for that. It was sort of a new
>thing for Norton, possibly related to Symantec taking it over -- I don't
>recall when they did that. There were a lot of complaints about Norton
>creeping through all parts of the registry and insinuating itself into the
>system so thoroughly it was practically impossible to remove, short of
>reformating.

My experience, exactly. Norton admitted the problem and issued a
patch that allowed the software to be removed. I obtained a full
refund after threatening to sue.

>And a lot of problems were, rightly or wrongly, associated with
>Norton.

This one was Norton's fault and they had no option but to admit it.

>The original (DOS) versions of Norton Utilities were not like that at all,
>and were excellent. But I avoided Norton for many years after all the
>Windows version-related problems, some of which I experienced myself.

I agree, the DOS versions were excellent. But after my problems - I
think it was Norton Security Essentials 2006 - I have never bought
anything Norton again.

Since then, I have had problems with McAfee and ZoneAlarm and a couple
of other programs. When you first install them they work well, but
after a few revisions they become unwieldy and seem to take over.

Meanwhile, the Mac is virus- and malware-free bliss.

Bruce

"Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>tony cooper wrote:

>> I have been using Agent for several years, but refused to upgrade from
>> Version 1.93 (they are now up to Version 6.0) The version I have
>> works, so I see no reason to change.

>Yes, there's something to be said for that. Newer versions are not always
>better than older ones.

I agree. I paid to upgrade to 6.0 and wondered why I had.

Bruce

>On 2011-06-16 15:40:20 -0700, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>>
>>> Yes, there's something to be said for that. Newer versions are not always
>>> better than older ones.

>> I agree. I paid to upgrade to 6.0 and wondered why I had.

>Yup!
>Even software for the Mac is not immune to bad upgrades.
>Two such examples are Skype 5.1 for Mac which is a complete disaster. I
>had to revert to Skype 2.8.0.866 which works just fine.

Within days of Microsoft taking over Skype, a new version of Skype was
issued. A very stable program was replaced with a bug-ridden POS that
crashed every few minutes.

As my partner said: "Welcome to Microsoft".

It seems that everything Microsoft touches turns to garbage. Still,
as we have said before, it creates work for systems people.

Whisky-dave

On Jun 16, 11:16*pm, "Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My current ISP originally provided McAfee security software free. There have
> been some complaints about that too, but it never gave me any problem. A
> year or so ago my ISP dropped McAfee

I think McAfee was brought by intel for $5billion or some ridiculous
figure that I couldn't understand why
a chip maker wants an anti virus company, but as things 'progress'
maybe viruses are targeting hardware,
well the firmware you can upgrade. So any virus firmware could have
very serious consequences
even wiping the hard drive might not be enough to restore a PC or
perhaps even a Mac.
This could happen to any OS including portable/phone/tablets OSs

>and provided Norton instead. I
> installed it sort of dubiously, but it's been fine, no problems at all and I
> like it a lot better than the McAfee suite.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Neil
Harrington <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Since then, I have had problems with McAfee and ZoneAlarm and a couple
> > of other programs. When you first install them they work well, but
> > after a few revisions they become unwieldy and seem to take over.
> >
> > Meanwhile, the Mac is virus- and malware-free bliss.

> It's possible that's because the overwhelming majority of personal systems
> out there are running Windows, so that's what the malware writers target, I
> suppose.

it has more to do with writing malware for windows being much easier.

> Doesn't matter, of course. Whatever works, works.

true

tony cooper

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:26:22 -0400, "Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Bruce wrote:

>>> Yup!
>>> Even software for the Mac is not immune to bad upgrades.
>>> Two such examples are Skype 5.1 for Mac which is a complete
>>> disaster. I had to revert to Skype 2.8.0.866 which works just fine.

>> Within days of Microsoft taking over Skype, a new version of Skype was
>> issued. A very stable program was replaced with a bug-ridden POS that
>> crashed every few minutes.
>>
>> As my partner said: "Welcome to Microsoft".
>>
>> It seems that everything Microsoft touches turns to garbage. Still,
>> as we have said before, it creates work for systems people.

>I know nothing about Skype, but what you say seems to fit a familiar
>pattern.

The program was *not* "very stable" before the take-over. The drops
were - and are - annoying, but reconnecting is simple.

My brother lives in Europe, and we talk every other week or so -
computer to computer - on Skype and have been doing so since Skype was
introduced. There have always been drops on Skype calls, but I don't
see any difference lately.

My daughter-in-law connects with her parents in Europe every week, but
she connects computer to land-line. She has not complained of any
difference since the change.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida