Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Evil Apple's patent infringement of Nokia cost them

Evil Apple's patent infringement of Nokia cost them

Wolfgang Weisselberg

tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Don't we all pay for parts/features we neither want nor need? I'm
> sure the cost of my mobile phone is somewhat increased because of
> features I have no interest in.

But those features are software. Not cheap to write, but
trivial and cheaper than dirt to copy on one more phone.

> The counter-argument is that if the maker of my phone had to offer
> more models so that people could buy the exact model that includes
> only the features they want, the maker would incur more costs in
> inventory requirements, packaging labels, and so on. The overall
> costs would increase even if the unit cost decreased, thus resulting
> in an increase in selling price for the unit.

Only if the additional costs for the feature are small to
begin with. With software they usually are ...

> Paying for features we don't want/need may mean paying less.

.... but we're not talking about software costs, we're talking
license costs here. And while installing Windows is probably a
very cheap thing, especially on identical machines, the additional
cost (in form of the license) is anything but small or trivial.

And here, paying for Windows, if you don't use it, does not mean
paying less.

-Wolfgang

PeterN

On 8/13/2011 10:48 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2011-08-13 19:14:42 -0700, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On 8/13/2011 9:22 PM, tony cooper wrote:

>>> I've given up on replying to Wolfie. Few of his posts make much
>>> sense, his standard rebuttal is "You lie", and so many of his
>>> statements are too bizarre to be worth a reply.
>>>
>>> It's patently obvious he knows nothing about the subjects he writes
>>> about and will contradict anything whether he understands it or not.
>>>
>>> nospam is a little more fun. While he doesn't understand the subject
>>> matter, he can wrong but understandable.
>>>
>>> Both think saying "No it isn't", or summat, is a keen form of debate.
>>>

>> He did miss the sarcasm in my question mark response.

> I thought that was more hyperbole than sarcasm.
> Though the effect in your resulting delivery had an element of bathos.

It can't be bathos because my ridiculous comment about running out of
question marks, was intentional.

--
Peter

J. Clarke

In article <2011081817335143658-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...

> On 2011-08-18 15:31:06 -0700, John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
> >

> > Early rumors have Austrian-born actor (and current California governor)
> > Arnold Schwarzenegger, in the title role. When reached for comment, the
> > "Governator" would only say, "I'd be honored to play Herr Weisselberg,
> > who was my childhood idol and chief role model."

> That is former Gov. Ahrnuhld. Our current fearless leader is one Jerry Brown.

Moonbeam's back? But, alas, sans Linda.

John Turco

Savageduck wrote:

> > On 2011-08-18 15:31:06 -0700, John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
> >

> > Early rumors have Austrian-born actor (and current California governor)
> > Arnold Schwarzenegger, in the title role. When reached for comment, the
> > "Governator" would only say, "I'd be honored to play Herr Weisselberg,
> > who was my childhood idol and chief role model."

> That is former Gov. Ahrnuhld. Our current fearless leader is one Jerry
> Brown.

Shucks, I don't keep up with current events. (That leaves Arnie with
plenty of free time to prepare for his Wolfgang role, though.)

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>