Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Evil Apple's patent infringement of Nokia cost them

Evil Apple's patent infringement of Nokia cost them

Wolfgang Weisselberg

nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Weisselberg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > they must all be the same.

>> not the same ideas, completely different markets, some only
>> software, some with hardware. Quite unlike Mac and iPhone
>> (both software and hardware, both integrated with each other,
>> both to people who want quality and are willing to pay for it,
>> you get the picture).

> mac and iphone are totally different markets.

If you insist ... OK, they are totally different markets aimed
at the same sort of people.

> also, the iphone integrates with windows just
> as well as it does mac (via itunes), which is moving to the cloud in a
> few months anyway.

And iTunes was originally on ... and was ported to ... because ...?

>> > ironically, windows phone 7 is about as restrictive than iphone
>> > (actually a little more so) is but nobody seems to notice or care.

>> How large is the WinPhoey7 market?

> not very,

Thank you. Really, nobody cares what happens in outer Elbonia.
That's why nobody cares. Not because MS does it.

OK, because MS does it:
MS is known to be evil. The devil doing evil stuff is not news.
A perceived saint, that's a different story.

>> I note you have no URLs.

>> > they're not holes, they're supported methods.

>> Apple.com-URL?

> <http://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/enterprise/>

"You must be a company or organization with a DUNS number to
apply."
How many iPhone users are companies or organisations?
And even then you'd need to be in charge of distribution to
distribute j.random.application and ... well, you'd better be in
bed with the CEO or you're fired.

In other words: not relevant to practically all users.

>> > companies can deploy their own software via enterprise deployment,

>> Companies are not consumers.

> yes they are, as are their employees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer
disagrees.

> the point is, a company can develop their own software and deploy it
> onto their employee's phones, without going through the apps store.

Companies not being consumers and only "their own software"
makes your point rather worthless. See above on how many users
of iPhones can use that to install j.random.app.

>> > and
>> > of course, app developers can install their own apps on their own
>> > devices

>> App developers are not consumers. They are a really tiny minority.

> does not matter. it only takes *one* person to install outside of the
> apps store to disprove the claim.

What claim? That Apple would love to jail the Mac the same way
they jail the iPhone?

>> > as well as for beta testers,

>> Beta testers are not consumers, they are a really tiny minority.

> does not matter. it only takes *one* person to install outside of the
> apps store to disprove the claim.

What claim? That Apple would love to jail the Mac the same way
they jail the iPhone? That's what we're talking about, right?

>> > html5 web apps do not go through the store
>> > and they can even be stored locally (no internet needed once
>> > downloaded).

>> Fine (if it works) --- how about real apps?

> web apps are real apps, especially with offline caching.

A room is a prison, especially with it's doors closed.
I'd say that offline caching is *necessary* for it to be an app.

> in fact, many
> times it's difficult or impossible to tell the difference.

Let's see a web app iPhone task killer, then ...

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Ray Fischer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Wolfgang Weisselberg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Neil Harrington <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> nospam wrote:

>>[Mac 1 button mice]
>>
>>> But it *came* with the crippled mouse. Why would they do that?

>>Windows still comes with a cripled GUI:

> Idiot.

You and me, we're not even the same species.

For example, my bain ain't an ornament and I walk on two legs.

>>- no virtual desktops
>>- no true sloppy focus
>>- no decoupling between "click in a window" (e.g. to mark a
>> text for copying) and "pop to the front"
>>- no 'stay on top' except in specific applications
>>- no 'always stay below'

> If your only whine is that Microsft won't kiss your butt and design
> an interface according to your narrow-minded opinions then you have no
> argument at all.

So you agree that MS cannot deliver, certainly not as installed
per default.
(You would have pointed out how to archive the above named
functions if it was possible, just to prove me wrong.)

You do make the point I wanted to make perfectly: to you the
Windows GUI is perfect because you know little else, and you'll
want practically all it's misfeatures everywhere. It's the Blubb
paradox all over, twisted backwards too ("how can I live without
the horrid workaround I think of as normal?" (like a second mouse
button on Macs)).

And thus, you agree the Windows GUI is horribly crippled.

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Ray Fischer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Wolfgang Weisselberg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>1. You can buy a system without an OS.

> Good luck with that.

Thank you, I have my sources.

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> UNIX/Linux have a
> few layers of protection that require admin authorization to install and
> run most programs.

Install (to the system), yes.
Run? Only a very few programs are set not to be runnable by a
user in practically all cases. Of course, the program, run by
a user, won't be able to do things the user cannot do (unless
it has special rights[1]), like installing programs or reading
certain data or writing system wide configuration files etc.

> A non-admin user can install most apps in his own
> folders and if they are a virus damage is limited to that user's
> folders.

It's limited to what the user has rights to create or change.
This can well be more than just the account. Think of the rights
in other accounts set to be very permissive in certain cases.
Think of the passwords saved for e.g. FTP.

> The system files cannot be written to by a non admin user -
> unless they know the admin account name and password.

man sudo.

-Wolfgang

[1] These programs are needed to give certain functions to the
user without giving him too much rights. Example: ping:
creating ICMP packets that are well formed, without allowing
them to create malformed packets.

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 27, 7:45*pm, Wolfgang Weisselberg <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Neil Harrington <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > Whisky-dave wrote:

>> [macs]

>> > So does each and every PC, if you buy one. Only people who build their own
>> > systems have to buy the OS.

>> That turns out not to be the case.

>> 1. You can buy a system without an OS.

> Could you possibaly link to one, but I'm betting the chioce will be
> servelry limited
> in theory you should be able to buy a comnputer without an OS
> but why aren;t they sold like that ?

Sure thing.
Yes, the choice is a bit limited. Just as vegetarians have a
limited choice in most eating places.

https://secure.linsoft.de/engine/pro...ll-components/
("Kein Betriebssystem" means "no OS". Yes, they'll install a Linux to your
wishes, too.)

http://www.preissuchmaschine.de/in-P...etriebssystem/
(A price search engine showing "no OS")

http://www.ipcstore.net/wellering-co...ge=shop&id=169
(A computer shop --- they also build to order, with or without OS)

>> 2. You can buy a system with another OS and often get the whole
>> * *package cheaper than with Windows.
>> 3. If you have Windows bundled with the OS,

> Windows is the OS.

typo, s/OS/computer/

>> your dealer paid
>> * *for it and added the cost to the sales price. *Just because
>> * *it's not listed as an extra cost factor doesn't mean you're
>> * *not paying for it. *To pretend otherwise is stupid --- and I
>> * *didn't get the impression you (both of you) were stupid.

> Well no obviously, but there's no option on the Apple store to buy
> a computer without an OS or have an OS of your choice.
> So for me the OS is as 'free' was the keyboard and mouse that came
> with my iMac.

included in the price. Not 'free'.

> Although I could choose which keyboard, I couldn;t opt for NO
> keyboard and get a discount.

For most people, a keyboard and a mouse and an OS are necessary
to enjoy the computer, and Apple decided not to complicate things
for themselves and buyers.

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2011-06-30 11:37 , Savageduck wrote:

>> Meet X-Plane, good on Windows, Linux, & Mac:

> I have it. Difficult to trim finely which makes it a bear to practice
> IFR approaches. Every time you change power, flaps or lower the gear,
> getting it into trim again can take a lot of time - distracting you from
> flying the approach.

Are the planes modelled by X-Plane which are difficult to trim
easier to trim in real life?

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Neil Harrington <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
>> Neil Harrington <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Only crazy people want to run their cars on bio fuels. Even Al Gore
>>> doesn't want to do that, I'll bet.

>> 'We' are already running gasoline cars on 5% Ethanol (bio fuel),

> Sure. What's the other 95%?

> There are plenty of complaints about your "bio fuel." Engines don't like it.
> It adds to the cost -- not only of the fuel, but of food. Corn grown to be
> sold for the ethanol mix isn't available for food.

>> and
>> shifting to 10%.

> Yes, if the tree huggers have their way. More bad news for engines, and for
> grocery shoppers.

There are quite some people who take E10 (10% Ethanol).
Not everyone. But far more than can be assumed to be crazy.
Thus disproving your point.
QED.

BTW, as far as I know (and being no expert) biofuel is often
grown under bad labour conditions. And yes, we have enough food
for everyone, (so the 'food' argument doesn't cut), we just are
unable to distribute it well enough.

And 90% of the cars are unharmed by E10, say the car makers ---
and the cars already work well with E5 in long term conditions ---
proven by real life.

>>> It's about $100 in OEM versions, which is generally what I buy.

>> I can get my OSses, GUI, programs[1] for much much less, and
>> legally copy them as often and to as many households and computers
>> as I like.

> But only by leaving the standard.

What standard?

On the contrary, that move brings me in line with many more
standards.

> It's still a Windows world out there.

I work with the Internet, where Windows is a poor cousin.

> Can you run Flight Simulator X?

FSX must be some standard software, like ... uh ... Firefox,
Chrome and Internet Exploder all in one, the way you talk about it.

Can you run bonnie++?

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 27, 7:40*pm, Wolfgang Weisselberg <(E-Mail Removed)>

> The biggest thing I miss on the PC is the simple ability to screen
> capture what I want.
> On a Mac I use command-shift-4, then I can select exactly what area of
> teh screen I want to dump to a file
> or I can hit teh space bar which allows me to dump one active window.

Gadwin PrintScreen ?

>> Maybe you are used to it.

> They do, maybe it's like those that keep having to push their car to
> get it started
> it becomes the norm.

Well, they advanced to a starter crank.

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Phil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What did reasonable people discuss before the advent of the "mine is
> bigger than yours" arguments in technology? Mac vs PC, nokia vs
> iphone, nikon vs canon!

My religion (will lead your soul to heaven) vs your religion
(will send your immortal soul to hell).

I've got to save your soul, being a caring and loving person and
as a good christian I am charged to do that. So I'll torture you
to death if necessary to rescue you --- it's for you own good,
and that bit of pain for your mortal flesh is nothing agains the
pains of a soul in hell.

Hence the 30 years war, the French wars of religion (40 years),
the witch hunts, the crusades, etc. (Other religions also
have their religious wars.)

> Is it really worth the time an effort to
> jockey for the last word in such a mindless argument?

See above, when it comes to saving your soul, you *must* do
your utmost to save your neighbour, if he's willing or not.
It's god's wish.

> Try this adage
> on for size - to each his own. Startling concept, wouldn't you agree?

And condemming them to hell and eternal damnation? Sorry, my conscience
won't let me do that.

Oh, you meant computers and cameras? It most certainly is
Sparc/OpenSolaris, Android, Pentax! Anything else it heretical!

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

David J Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Windows updates now can be completely automatic if you wish,

Windows OS updates, yes, AFAIK. How about firefox, thunderbird,
the games, photoshop, DPP, gimp, newsreader, chat program, tax
software, database stuff, apache, all the other programs on your
typical Windows machine?

At least the software that can do networking (browser, mail,
multiplayer games, newsreader, chatting, tax (transmission of
results), db, webserver, ...) can have critical bugs that may
be exploited from the outside ... and need to be checked for
fixed versions.
How do you do that in Windows, completely automatic?

I guess it's not done with a crontab entry, or
apt-get install cron-apt # also possible via GUI
and editing it's config file.

-Wolfgang