Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Yahoo mail and Yahoo xtra.

Reply
Thread Tools

Yahoo mail and Yahoo xtra.

 
 
Dave Doe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-15-2011
In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), Dave Doe says...
>
> In article <ita97g$g6q$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), Geopelia
> says...
> >
> > "David Empson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:1k2xbxz.5ulbltepf8pvN%(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > > Geopelia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > >
> > >> "Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > >> news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> > >> > In article <it8mm2$4pn$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), Geopelia
> > >> > says...
> > >> >>
> > >> >> I have got an email about upgrading Yahoo mail.
> > >> >> Is this the same as Yahoo xtra mail please?
> > >> >
> > >> > Yes, probably - they are doing an e-mail upgrade - so it's probably
> > >> > legitimate. Who is the e-mail from (you didn't say).
> > >> >
> > >> > Check online if you wish: http://nz.yahoo.com
> > >> > or:
> > >> > http://www.telecom.co.nz/broadband/email
> > >> >
> > >>
> > >> It's from Yahoo! Mail headed SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
> > >>
> > >> It doesn't look like spam.
> > >
> > > I got it as well. It is not spam.
> > >
> > >> I don't use Yahoo mail at all. There are over 90 emails, all updates in
> > >> my
> > >> groups, which come in on the xtra inbox, so I don't need them from Yahoo
> > >> too.
> > >
> > > Xtra outsourced their e-mail service to Yahoo several years ago.
> > >
> > > Since then, everyone who is an Xtra customer is using Yahoo for their
> > > mail, but you may have been unaware of this.
> > >
> > > The message I received is referring to changes that Yahoo are making in
> > > their webmail service, which you might never have accessed. If you did,
> > > you would probably have done so by visiting http://xtra.co.nz/ which
> > > redirects to http://nz.yahoo.com/ and then signing in an clicking on an
> > > E-Mail link, and typing in your Xtra e-mail address and the password for
> > > your e-mail account.
> > >
> > > Yahoo have at least two versions of their webmail user interface - the
> > > "Classic" one and a newer one. The message implies that they have either
> > > updated the new one or replaced it with an even newer one. They are
> > > asking you to log in to your e-mail account and switch over to the new
> > > service. If you don't do that then in a month or so, it will be forced
> > > upon you the next time you try to access your webmail.
> > >
> > > If you never access webmail and never will in future, you probably don't
> > > have to do anything and can ignore the message.
> > >
> > > I can't see anything suggesting this will affect use of standard e-mail
> > > client software running on your computer.
> > >

> >
> > I have a different user name and password for the Yahoo mail, but found it
> > very difficult to use, also it used to freeze the computer, so I haven't
> > used it for years. All that comes in are updates in my groups, which I get
> > on xtra as well.

>
> Again... this is not about any Yahoo a/c you may have. This concerns
> your Xtra/Yahoo a/c (your Xtra e-mail account) - which, as I've said,
> and David has said, Xtra contracted Yahoo to do their e-mail a year or
> two ago.
>
> ping send.xtra.co.nz
> Pinging smtp1.tnz.mail.vip.aue.yahoo.com [124.108.96.68]
>
> ping pop3.xtra.co.nz
> Pinging pop1.tnz.mail.vip.aue.yahoo.com [124.108.96.66]
>
> If you do an IP address lookup, the servers are in SA, Australia.
>
> And... (presumably) because Xtra outsourced their e-mail services, they
> have to provide additional security to their customers, so they use
> encrypted connections both to and from the Yahoo e-mail servers. That
> means non-standard settings in your e-mail client program (eg. Outlook
> Express) - and this caused a *chitload* of grief for probably tens of
> thousands of Xtra's customers in New Zealand.
>
> My advice back then is the same as today - I advised, and still do, to
> ditch Xtra and get a better, cheaper ISP that provides easier to use
> services (particularly e-mail which is probably the most important
> service) and a better helpdesk should you need it.
>
> The short of it is, Xtra *still suck*


And from their website...

What's happening with Telecom and Yahoo!Xtra?

Why have these changes happened?
As part of its continued relationship Telecom NZ and Yahoo!7, on 15th
April Telecom announced the sale of its shares in Yahoo!Xtra to Yahoo!7.
Yahoo!7 now owns 100% of Yahoo!Xtra.

As part of the current commercial partnership with Yahoo!7 Telecom?s
Internet customers will continue to be supported.

Why have Telecom sold the shares?
The internet is a fast moving industry and a lot has changed since the
joint venture started. The ongoing partnership announced today allows
both Yahoo!7 and Telecom New Zealand to stay at the forefront of the
online industry delivering the best global products and services for
their customers.

Does this change represent the failure of the Joint Venture?
Not at all. The Yahoo!Xtra business has been extremely successful over
the past few years.

What does this mean for me?
The immediate change will be that you may see advertising from some of
Telecom's competitors. You will continue to access the great local and
international content along with the Yahoo! services that you love.

When you sign into your mail, you will arrive in the What's New tab
instead of your Inbox. You may also see competitor advertising within
the mail service. Your email address will stay the same and there will
be no interruption of service.

Yahoo!Xtra will rebrand as Yahoo!New Zealand, the changes will be phased
over several weeks in various spaces.

When will the changes take place?
The changes in the ownership was effective as at 15 April 2011, the
rebranding will be phased in from 31st May.

Will email addresses change?
No. Your email address and login password will remain the same.

--
Duncan.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Frank Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-15-2011
On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 00:34:06 +1200, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:


>>>
>>>I don't use Yahoo mail at all. There are over 90 emails, all updates in my
>>>groups, which come in on the xtra inbox, so I don't need them from Yahoo
>>>too.
>>>
>>>Thank you
>>>Geopelia
>>>

>>
>>
>>
>> Its Malware/Spyware I get a few every week, they are after your email
>> log on ID and pass word

>
>I don't think that is the same site, it has the agreement terms, privacy
>policy etc.
>



If you listen to the Radio today it states Don't use the Free email
programs, they are all Spyware, I totally agree, you just don't get
anything for nothing there is a catch every time.

Use the Email thing that your ISP provides you with ..

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Frank Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2011
On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 11:25:11 +1200, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 11:17:29 +1200, Frank Williams wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 00:34:06 +1200, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>>>
>>>>>I don't use Yahoo mail at all. There are over 90 emails, all updates in my
>>>>>groups, which come in on the xtra inbox, so I don't need them from Yahoo
>>>>>too.
>>>>>
>>>>>Thank you
>>>>>Geopelia
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Its Malware/Spyware I get a few every week, they are after your email
>>>> log on ID and pass word
>>>
>>>I don't think that is the same site, it has the agreement terms, privacy
>>>policy etc.
>>>

>>
>>
>> If you listen to the Radio today it states Don't use the Free email
>> programs, they are all Spyware, I totally agree, you just don't get
>> anything for nothing there is a catch every time.
>>
>> Use the Email thing that your ISP provides you with ..

>
>If you're with xtra, that would be Yahoo.
>They do pop and smtp.



I did state use the ISP email program Not a Web based Free one..

This talk on the Nat radio was from a Security expert..

All free web based email programs are Spyware..
 
Reply With Quote
 
John S
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2011
On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 00:40:08 +1200, Geopelia wrote:


> I have a different user name and password for the Yahoo mail, but found it
> very difficult to use, also it used to freeze the computer, so I haven't
> used it for years. All that comes in are updates in my groups, which I get
> on xtra as well.
>
> Thank you
> Geopelia


Hi Geopelia,

You are correct: using a web site for email is slow and clumsy compared to
using an email programme, but it is good practice to learn how to log on to
your ISP's web site for mail, and to use the site for reading your mail and
sending replies etc.

To do this you need to know your own username and password of course, and
many computer users don't know their own password, as they have their email
programme set up to remember it for them.

Although you may not normally want to use this method, it can be extremely
useful in an emergency when you don't have access to your own computer, or
if you are away traveling. No matter where you are, if you can use
someone's computer and internet connection, you have access to your own
email resources, so people can keep in touch with you.

cheers,

John S
 
Reply With Quote
 
Geopelia
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2011

"John S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 00:40:08 +1200, Geopelia wrote:
>
>
>> I have a different user name and password for the Yahoo mail, but found
>> it
>> very difficult to use, also it used to freeze the computer, so I haven't
>> used it for years. All that comes in are updates in my groups, which I
>> get
>> on xtra as well.
>>
>> Thank you
>> Geopelia

>
> Hi Geopelia,
>
> You are correct: using a web site for email is slow and clumsy compared to
> using an email programme, but it is good practice to learn how to log on
> to
> your ISP's web site for mail, and to use the site for reading your mail
> and
> sending replies etc.
>
> To do this you need to know your own username and password of course, and
> many computer users don't know their own password, as they have their
> email
> programme set up to remember it for them.
>
> Although you may not normally want to use this method, it can be extremely
> useful in an emergency when you don't have access to your own computer, or
> if you are away traveling. No matter where you are, if you can use
> someone's computer and internet connection, you have access to your own
> email resources, so people can keep in touch with you.
>
> cheers,
>
> John S


Thanks to all.

The whole thing is very confusing. I'll carry on as I do now until something
happens.
I'm not likely to move or use anyone else's computer.
All the bills come from Telecom anyway.

Why do people change things that are working perfectly well? Even the TV is
going to be changed.

Geopelia


 
Reply With Quote
 
PeeCee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2011
On 16/06/2011 5:47 p.m., Geopelia wrote:
> "John S"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 00:40:08 +1200, Geopelia wrote:
>>
>>
>>> I have a different user name and password for the Yahoo mail, but found
>>> it
>>> very difficult to use, also it used to freeze the computer, so I haven't
>>> used it for years. All that comes in are updates in my groups, which I
>>> get
>>> on xtra as well.
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>> Geopelia

>>
>> Hi Geopelia,
>>
>> You are correct: using a web site for email is slow and clumsy compared to
>> using an email programme, but it is good practice to learn how to log on
>> to
>> your ISP's web site for mail, and to use the site for reading your mail
>> and
>> sending replies etc.
>>
>> To do this you need to know your own username and password of course, and
>> many computer users don't know their own password, as they have their
>> email
>> programme set up to remember it for them.
>>
>> Although you may not normally want to use this method, it can be extremely
>> useful in an emergency when you don't have access to your own computer, or
>> if you are away traveling. No matter where you are, if you can use
>> someone's computer and internet connection, you have access to your own
>> email resources, so people can keep in touch with you.
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> John S

>
> Thanks to all.
>
> The whole thing is very confusing. I'll carry on as I do now until something
> happens.
> I'm not likely to move or use anyone else's computer.
> All the bills come from Telecom anyway.
>
> Why do people change things that are working perfectly well? Even the TV is
> going to be changed.
>
> Geopelia
>
>



Hi Geopelia

Leaving things as they are is probably the right thing to do.
There has been no mention of turning off the Pop and Smtp server
address's which is how Outlook Express receives and sends your emails.

The upgrade mails you have received are about the software used to
access your emails using the "Yahoo" Web interface using Internet
Explorere (or Firefox or Chrome...) Frankly I am of the opinion it is
nothing more than a con, encouraging people to use their Web interface
where they can bombard you with advertising.
They can't do that with Outlook Express.


As for the TV change over, well that was inevitable as the Video/Audio
qualities and the program guides of the new 'Digital' (HD) transmission
methods are far superior to the old 'SD' (Analog) ssystem.

An analogy would be the change from VCR's to DVD's where the convenience
and useablilty of DVD won over consumers.
This change over occured at a natural pace as consumers found it was
convenient to change over according to their personal circumstances.
Even today there are some people still using VCR's there being nothing
that forces them to stop using them.

Unfortunately the change over to the new TV standard is being pushed by
the Government, so people who are quite happy with what they have
already are 'forced' to change over.
The reason for the hurried changeover is simply 'money' as the radio
spectrum released when the Analog system shuts down becomes a source of
$$$$$$ for the politicians to squander on some other grandiose scheme.

Be that as it may, the one thing that really burns my wick is while
mandating when the Analog system will close down the Government did
'not' mandate a date that Retailers 'must' stop selling TV's with out a
Freeview tuner.
So we have the ridiculous situation where with less than two years to
changeover, Retailers are 'still' selling new TV's with only Analog tuners.

Total rip off in my opinion, they should have at least mandated a
digital tuner available for very cheap if not free with any Analog tuner
TV sold within 5 years of changeover.

Best
Paul.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Frank Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2011
On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 18:03:50 +1200, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 13:09:14 +1200, Frank Williams wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 11:25:11 +1200, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 11:17:29 +1200, Frank Williams wrote:
>>>
>>>> On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 00:34:06 +1200, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>I don't use Yahoo mail at all. There are over 90 emails, all updates in my
>>>>>>>groups, which come in on the xtra inbox, so I don't need them from Yahoo
>>>>>>>too.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>Thank you
>>>>>>>Geopelia
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Its Malware/Spyware I get a few every week, they are after your email
>>>>>> log on ID and pass word
>>>>>
>>>>>I don't think that is the same site, it has the agreement terms, privacy
>>>>>policy etc.
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> If you listen to the Radio today it states Don't use the Free email
>>>> programs, they are all Spyware, I totally agree, you just don't get
>>>> anything for nothing there is a catch every time.
>>>>
>>>> Use the Email thing that your ISP provides you with ..
>>>
>>>If you're with xtra, that would be Yahoo.
>>>They do pop and smtp.

>>
>>
>> I did state use the ISP email program Not a Web based Free one..
>>
>> This talk on the Nat radio was from a Security expert..
>>
>> All free web based email programs are Spyware..

>
>What about orcon?




As long as its a US Web mail, if it is its Spyware..

Use the ISP's POP & SMTP settings.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Matty F
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2011
On Jun 16, 5:47 pm, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "John S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>
>
> > On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 00:40:08 +1200, Geopelia wrote:

>
> >> I have a different user name and password for the Yahoo mail, but found
> >> it
> >> very difficult to use, also it used to freeze the computer, so I haven't
> >> used it for years. All that comes in are updates in my groups, which I
> >> get
> >> on xtra as well.

>
> >> Thank you
> >> Geopelia

>
> > Hi Geopelia,

>
> > You are correct: using a web site for email is slow and clumsy compared to
> > using an email programme, but it is good practice to learn how to log on
> > to
> > your ISP's web site for mail, and to use the site for reading your mail
> > and
> > sending replies etc.

>
> > To do this you need to know your own username and password of course, and
> > many computer users don't know their own password, as they have their
> > email
> > programme set up to remember it for them.

>
> > Although you may not normally want to use this method, it can be extremely
> > useful in an emergency when you don't have access to your own computer, or
> > if you are away traveling. No matter where you are, if you can use
> > someone's computer and internet connection, you have access to your own
> > email resources, so people can keep in touch with you.

>
> > cheers,

>
> > John S

>
> Thanks to all.
>
> The whole thing is very confusing. I'll carry on as I do now until something
> happens.
> I'm not likely to move or use anyone else's computer.
> All the bills come from Telecom anyway.
>
> Why do people change things that are working perfectly well? Even the TV is
> going to be changed.


I think you will find that xtra mail continues to work as it always
has. You might have to choose the Classic option.
If you go to Yahoo mail and type in your xtra email address and
password, that should work. Mine does.

Yahoo mail now has good spam checking, so if you go there you can
delete or ignore spam before it reaches your computer, by looking at
the sender name or title. And it's handy to use Yahoo mail when you
are not at your usual computer.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need help while designing yahoo messenger like yahoo and msn , like on meebo.com checoo C++ 0 12-25-2006 02:33 PM
Mail component to retrieve mail from Hotmail, Yahoo, gmail..etc? John Dalberg ASP .Net 1 09-19-2005 02:56 PM
Yahoo 'Web Beacons' Spy On And Track Yahoo Users! Tommy Computer Security 9 05-17-2005 04:11 PM
cant get read yahoo mail with bt yahoo as the isp STUART SWANSTON Computer Support 0 12-09-2003 01:16 PM
Deluged with multiple copies, sometimes, when using yahoo mail to check POP mail dakota7 Computer Support 3 10-05-2003 09:31 PM



Advertisments